Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks Peter,

Like Jintyman I was wary of thread hijack and this was the first time I thought one of my shots was relevant as they are earlier than your 1985-7 theme.

My three photographic visits to North Wales were in 1982/83, so far I have scanned all 19 photos from 1982, they are in my Flickr album '1980s L.M.R. North Wales',

mostly not very exciting as a lot are DMUs.

When I get time in the autumn I wiil restart scanning, I have a few more freight shots I think so will post some when I get there.

In the meantime I will enjoy trainspotting at Llanbourne!

cheers

Hi Rivercider,

I don't mind a bit of a hijack it's always nice to see pics from North Wales. I have had a look at your Flickr site, some great pics so keep them coming.

Cheers Peter.

Pete,

Llandudno Carraige sidings Cae Mawr will be back in use by October, local houses which back on to Cae Mawr have had letter warning them of work starting the end of this month.

Also Penmaenmawr stone traffic might start again by November as p/way have been into the yard to check S&C etc No idea where to mind

cheers

Stu

Hi Stu.

Is that Dai Rowlands (shunter) in Riverciders photo above ?

I think your right Merf, it won't be Jim (Rowlands) as you would n't be able to find him!!!!

As a Box Lad YTS (Younge Think & Spotty) Dai once asked me to shake his hand, being younge and daft I did. I just about go all my fingers back and the feeling slowly returned a few hours later!!! happy days :no:

Stu

Pete,

Llandudno Carraige sidings Cae Mawr will be back in use by October, local houses which back on to Cae Mawr have had letter warning them of work starting the end of this month.

Also Penmaenmawr stone traffic might start again by November as p/way have been into the yard to check S&C etc No idea where to mind

cheers

Stu

Good news about the possibility of stone traffic returning to the coast.

How come the Llandudno sidings are being put back into use? Have I missed something?

Jinty ;-)

Good news about the possibility of stone traffic returning to the coast.How come the Llandudno sidings are being put back into use? Have I missed something?Jinty ;-)

It's to do with the station being done up as they took the run round in platform 2 out so they brought Cae Mawr back.

Last used in 1998 and a T4 of the sidings was taken by a certain Merfyn Jones above I believe!!!!

• Like 1

Pete,

cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

Any idea who's going to be be using it? Be good to see trains stabled there again.

Good news on the stone traffic though to be honest I didn't know trains had stopped running from Penmaenmawr.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Stu,

Any idea who's going to be be using it? Be good to see trains stabled there again.

Good news on the stone traffic though to be honest I didn't know trains had stopped running from Penmaenmawr.

Cheers Peter.

Pete,

I very much doubt anything will be stabled there but it will be for running round charters that are not top and tail or it will now allow charter company's to just use one loco and save money I presume.

It will be finished as the summer season has finished so no idea when first train will use it.

We have an engineers train booked down next Saturday & Sunday night bringing the rails from Crewe.

Cheers

Stu

Pete,

I very much doubt anything will be stabled there but it will be for running round charters that are not top and tail or it will now allow charter company's to just use one loco and save money I presume.

It will be finished as the summer season has finished so no idea when first train will use it.

We have an engineers train booked down next Saturday & Sunday night bringing the rails from Crewe.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu,

That makes sense to me, feel free to post up a pic if you get one of he engineers train.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

33111 had a quick test run the other day. It's back on the workbench for a few finishing touches.

Cheers Peter.

As usual Peter, your weathering is awesome, I've seen quite a few pictures of 33's in NW and it certainly looks the part.

Jinty ;-)

Thanks Bob and Jinty,

I did a little bit more to finish the loco off tonight, hopefully it will work it's first train this week. As mentioned earlier on the thread no Pushers   worked the North Wales trains but I used to see them all the time going through my home station of Sway back in the day so I had to have one. 

33111 was one of my favourites back in the 80's so that's why it was chosen. Luckily the old girl is preserved and I managed to get a few miles behind the beast when I was back in May.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-39407200-1408971864_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Peter,

Going back to the PCA (cement wagons) part of the thread, where it was asked about cement traffic along the coast.

A little before your period, but I have come across a photograph of 25072 with what looks like 2 x PCA's, 3 x Depressed Vee's and what looks like a Dept' wagon on the end.

I've requested and received the relevant permissions from the Photographer to reproduce it here.

Scanned from RAIL magazine March 1988, page 17.

Photographed by L. Goddard

post-14906-0-85627200-1408981054_thumb.jpg

I hope it comes out clear enough.

The description states that the movement originated from Llandudno Junction.

I wonder what service this was?

Jinty ;-)

• Like 2

Pete,

cheers

Stu

Went passed the old stone loading bay at Penmaenmawr last week,fer few Network rail workers were checking the tracksidings out...

Then that night more heavy plant arrived... :no:

Pete,

Cheers

Stu

Hopefuly might get the odd pair of 97s using it on RHTT workings... :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Hi Peter,Going back to the PCA (cement wagons) part of the thread, where it was asked about cement traffic along the coast.A little before your period, but I have come across a photograph of 25072 with what looks like 2 x PCA's, 3 x Depressed Vee's and what looks like a Dept' wagon on the end.I've requested and received the relevant permissions from the Photographer to reproduce it here.Scanned from RAIL magazine March 1988, page 17.Photographed by L. Goddardattachicon.gifPCA's Mostyn.jpgI hope it comes out clear enough.The description states that the movement originated from Llandudno Junction.I wonder what service this was?Jinty ;-)

More than likely it was 7F36 (IIRC) Llandudno Jct to Warrington. However at least the first 2 PCAs would have been working their way back to Penyfford from Bangor. The OCA at the back could have been in brick traffic from Grangemouth to Bangor.

Rail got the date wrong on my picture, as I wasn't photographing railways in 1974. It is hard to pin down the neg when they are in the attic, but its most likely early 1980's after Glan Conwy Yard had opened to replace Colwyn Bay yard. The cement could have come Up on the trip from Bangor or Glan Conwy Yard. This afternoon working was usually around 14.30 out of Llandudno Junction for Walton. Alternatively the cement could have been feeding construction of the Expressway at Conwy Morfa's temporary sidings, but empties would still be held at Ll Junct until the afternoon departure time.

Edited by coachmann

Rail got the date wrong on my picture, as I wasn't photographing railways in 1974. It is hard to pin down the neg when they are in the attic, but its most likely early 1980's after Glan Conwy Yard had opened to replace Colwyn Bay yard. The cement could have come Up on the trip from Bangor or Glan Conwy Yard. This afternoon working was usually around 14.30 out of Llandudno Junction for Walton. Alternatively the cement could have been feeding construction of the Expressway at Conwy Morfa's temporary sidings, but empties would still be held at Ll Junct until the afternoon departure time.

The wagon on the rear looks like a OCA which were built 1981/2, some were later turned over to the engineers. 

cheers

I thought '74 seemed a bit early, but I wasn't going to question what was in print!!!!!

Thanks again Coachman

Jinty ;-)

More than likely it was 7F36 (IIRC) Llandudno Jct to Warrington. However at least the first 2 PCAs would have been working their way back to Penyfford from Bangor. The OCA at the back could have been in brick traffic from Grangemouth to Bangor.

I think your right its the Warrington goods and by the size of the train would say mid 80's and I think the headcode was 6F10 and airbraked, It changed from 8/9F10 when they did away with the brake van and vac braked wagons. 

The wagon on the back is as you say are the bricks, they use to bouce all over the place on 60 foot track & were seperated by old tyres if my memeory is correct.

Its a train your forum name worked a few times as I always remember the flush front behind the discs at one end 

Stu

I did wonder, Coach.

I had it my mind that the headcodes were wound to 0o00 for a spell around 1976/77 and the headcode type as per loco in the photo came in around late '70's onwards.

Cheers.

Ian

Thanks for posting up that pic Jinty,

I still have my Rail mags from 85 to 89 and remember seeing that pic. Larry took a nice pic of 25057 on the same train in 1987, I think it was the last class 25 to work the train.

It's funny you mention the OCA on the rear of the train, about this time last year I did a couple of OCA's for my Speedlink service though I still haven't done brick loads as I haven't found any decent pictures. Merf posted a nice pic of a couple off the road at Llandudno Jct.

Hi Stu & 40044, I run a Warrington to Llanbourne Speedlink as 7D14 arriving at 06.20. Departing at about 14.00 as the 7F10. The train loco works a trip to Bangor and Holyhead I think this was called target 92 another trip is worked by a class 25 or 31 down the branch.

I think I read somewhere that for a while the Speedlink conveyed Timber. Anyone know if this is true. A couple of OTAs would look nice.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I don't remember timber, but then I don't remember anything these days! Timber was proposed to come down the Conwy Valley and Roman Bridge yard was prepared with ballast, but it went to lorries in the end.

North Wales rail isnt even a shadow of its former self today. It's just a crumbling skeleton with hardly any freight and a sparse deteriorating passenger service serving fewer stations. If it weren't for Holyhead, the line would surely have terminated in Bangor years ago. Even road traffic across the Island is quiet once the irritating queues across the Menai Bridge are left behind. It evaporates on the Anglesey side, so a lot of road traffic is clearly not going to Holyhead. In contrast, the grossly inadequate A55 road between Chester and Menai Bridge is teeming with traffic, which grinds to a halt at the slightest provocation, so converting railway land to roads would be a better use of infrastructure. But then again, if the A55 were in South Wales it would be the M55!

Edited by coachmann