Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Like all your disc ground signals Peter!!

ive been adding some on Banks road..

cheers neil..

Thanks Neil,

Some of mine are the Ratio ones some are built from scratch. They don't work but still look the part.

Cheers Peter.

I didn't mind a Peak. I did quite a bit of work on restoring 45149 at the GW&R at Toddington in the early days. They certainly had a large following by a certain group called the "Peak Army" who were probably the most charismatic basher's going. I was going to put "notorious" but probably a little unfair as most of their antics were just high spirits and usually fuelled by copious amounts of Real Ale!!  

Hi Marcus,

I remember the Peak Army and boy could they drink. I could handle a few but these boys didn't mess about. I did a few Peak Railtours over the years and you didn't want to be in the front coach if you are planning on a quite day. A mate of mine got to know some of the Peak Army quite well and I was introduced to a few myself. Most were pretty good blokes we even met a few on our turf a few times while we were out on class 33s they appreciated the gen we gave them on a few good pubs in Salisbury.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 1

No worries Marcus,

I think if there was ever a loco class that I would be tempted to lick it would be a class 45. :locomotive:

A mate of mine back in the day was a class 50 Basher and he told me there was a Female Basher who would kiss her favourite loco when ever she had it for haulage on it.

Cheers Peter.

Ah Karen(Sharon) ? from Teignmouth who worked in Exeter, seen putting Smarties on the the front steps more than once.

Those were the days.

• Like 1

Ah Karen(Sharon) ? from Teignmouth who worked in Exeter, seen putting Smarties on the the front steps more than once.

Those were the days.

I sent my mate in the UK a message about this. He was a 50 basher back in the day he couldn't remember her name but said she used to put Smarties on the buffers apparently the loco's ate them.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I sent my mate in the UK a message about this. He was a 50 basher back in the day he couldn't remember her name but said she used to put Smarties on the buffers apparently the loco's ate them.

Cheers Peter.

And they say anorak-wearing number-collectors are a sad mad species ;)  The story sounds familiar.  I did a few days at St. David's when trains were trains and the platform ends were busy.  

• Like 4

And they say anorak-wearing number-collectors are a sad mad species ;)  The story sounds familiar.  I did a few days at St. David's when trains were trains and the platform ends were busy.  

Oh yes there were some weird ones out there. Exeter was good back in the day. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Come to Nuneaton on a weekday and it's like the village of the damned at times. When you're sat in the mess room on platform one it's like the pub scene from "Shaun of the Dead". As soon as you go out side your pounced on and asked "What you workin mate?" Don't get me wrong their not all like that but as Gwiver says there are some strange ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

T

Come to Nuneaton on a weekday and it's like the village of the damned at times. When you're sat in the mess room on platform one it's like the pub scene from "Shaun of the Dead". As soon as you go out side your pounced on and asked "What you workin mate?" Don't get me wrong their not all like that but as Gwiver says there are some strange ones.

There was a shunter at Leith Docks in the early 1980s who talked to the wagons. He would say things like "What are you doing here? I sent you to Grangemouth yesterday" or "Nice to see you back again".

As Douglas Adams said, mostly harmless (mostly!).

• Like 1

Cheers Peter.

I may be getting confused (again) but did she marry/move in with another railway enthusiast?

One of my former BR colleagues (a very enthusiastic and knowlegeable clerk)  hailed from South Devon,

he was a fan of English Electric locos, particularly class 37s I remember, and I am fairly certain his partner was an enthusiast,

cheers 

Hi marc

Hi Marcus,

There is a guy in that pub scene that looks like me. I told a mate I was in the movie and he believed me.

Eastleigh Station had it's regulars Some would ask you what was on the Holding sidings if other loco's were blocking the view of the number. Or if there were any specials about. I was happy to help if I had any gen.

Cheers Peter.

T

There was a shunter at Leith Docks in the early 1980s who talked to the wagons. He would say things like "What are you doing here? I sent you to Grangemouth yesterday" or "Nice to see you back again".

As Douglas Adams said, mostly harmless (mostly!).

Hey John I was a Shunter once what are you trying to say. lol

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I may be getting confused (again) but did she marry/move in with another railway enthusiast?

One of my former BR colleagues (a very enthusiastic and knowlegeable clerk)  hailed from South Devon,

he was a fan of English Electric locos, particularly class 37s I remember, and I am fairly certain his partner was an enthusiast,

cheers 

We thought may be she had but really not sure it wasn't the 50 basher we thought.

Cheers Peter.

No encouragement needed I'm sure but what a layout, it's perfect mix of station activities and shunt opportunities in a realistic setting with many a prototypical and accurate working to boot.

Clearly a well researched and thought out piece of model engineering and a pleasure to whittle away the hours reading through the older posts on here... And not a shiny loco/ item of stock in sight to boot.

Most enjoyable thread an' all.

(As an anecdotal piece, I had an interview for an emu shunter position a few years ago, the bloke interviewing me for the TOC in question was a big North Eastern bloke and one of the first things he asked in the interview was what a northern lad was doing down London and how I was so knowledgeable as to the ins and outs of the role and the TOC in question's routes and rolling stock, after the interview he was chatting to me for a bit and told me that when he started as a guard/ secondman closer to home he barely knew one type of loco from another, let alone the different types of dmu, and how if he'd been around the Southern Region in those days he'd have been completely lost as to one type of unit to another, how times have changed with regards to what knowledge is available online, especially through the myriad of forums out there and most populated with ex-BR or just railwaymen in general all happy to share their stories and reminiscences of the time they knew, biggest regret I ever have not getting that job having got through the online stuff and the group interviews but alas, they wanted me but a) I didn't live near the depots they were recruiting for and b: the two lads that got through to the medicals had experience on the railways which I was sadly lacking... Sorry to go off topic!)

Edit to remove an errant emoticon smiley thing

Edited by Paragon
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Anyway another pic. 45141 was one of the last Peaks I saw in service and was a bit of a favourite so had to be modelled.

Hi Peter,

Just been catching up with the thread. All looks really good - love the shot of 45141. At some point, being an O gauge modeller, I'm going to have to attempt or commission a build of one of the 45/1s. I can just remember them coming in an out of Scarborough on TransPennine workings, while on a day visit to the seaside as a kid. My dad would take me up to the station and we'd peer over that big wall, usually with me on his shoulders!!

Love the realism of your photos and stock tho.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Just been catching up with the thread. All looks really good - love the shot of 45141. At some point, being an O gauge modeller, I'm going to have to attempt or commission a build of one of the 45/1s. I can just remember them coming in an out of Scarborough on TransPennine workings, while on a day visit to the seaside as a kid. My dad would take me up to the station and we'd peer over that big wall, usually with me on his shoulders!!

Love the realism of your photos and stock tho.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Rich,

an O gauge Peak would look very nice, I have some good memories bashing some Trans-Pennine services between Liverpool and York. They have always been a bit of a favourite of mine.

Cheers Peter.

an O gauge Peak would look very nice, I have some good memories bashing some Trans-Pennine services between Liverpool and York. They have always been a bit of a favourite of mine.

Hi Peter,

Does this mean you're getting close to being tempted by a JLTRT kit???? :D

Cheers

Lee

Hi Peter,

Does this mean you're getting close to being tempted by a JLTRT kit???? :D

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

I have been following Brian Daniels thread for some years now and I have been tempted yes the cost is the real deal breaker though. I had been saving for a class 26 but the Heljan one came out which is the one I ended buying. I do still like the idea of doing a JLTRT kit but I want to finish the stock I have first, not to mention the 00 stuff tucked away in my to do pile.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

I meant to ask you what's next for Lambourne, locos or layout ... What's on the priority list? Looking forward to getting mine to this kind of stage .... In a few decades! :)

Rich

Hi Peter,

I meant to ask you what's next for Lambourne, locos or layout ... What's on the priority list? Looking forward to getting mine to this kind of stage .... In a few decades! :)

Rich

Hi Rich,

Well still plenty to do though to be honest I haven't done much recently as I have lost interest a bit. One of my priorities is to get on with the loco shed and station roof I also need to do some work round the terrace houses on the hill, problem is I need to be in the mood for doing buildings and I keep finding other things to do. The new section still needs finer detailing work and grass on the hills yard lamps shunters cabin water taps for the carriage sidings and a few signals which I was actually working on the other day.

The crossover from platform 2 to the middle road also need replacing as they have started to play up, and when I re do these I will replace most of the track in platform 2 as is not very straight the new points will be medium radius too so I will have to move the uncoupler.

Stock is almost there. I need to build a flask wagon. Detail 5x mk1s and a short rake of MK2s. As for loco's I am pretty well sorted, a couple of 31s and 47s are priority with another class 25 and some more class 45s also a class 58 all in their boxes waiting to be done. I will get a class 40 too when the Bachmann centre headcode model comes out. 

Cheers Peter.