Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Reverse order, wrong line or what ever those are great with the first and last particularly realistic.

Regards 4-wheel wagons on the SR I seem to recall we got a lot of Mermaid and Grampus, don't remember Crab or Dace.  Might have been a few years earlier.

Reverse order, wrong line or what ever those are great with the first and last particularly realistic.

Regards 4-wheel wagons on the SR I seem to recall we got a lot of Mermaid and Grampus, don't remember Crab or Dace.  Might have been a few years earlier.

Thanks Rick,

I don't remember ever seeing Mermaid wagons on the Southern we did get Grampus at Eastleigh and later the air braked replacements Clam but they were used for spoil mainly, as were the Turbot bogie wagons. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

In the late 80s/early 90s there were a lot of Dace working out of Three Bridges, but I don't seem to recall any Crabs.

Fantastic photos love the large logo class 37 on mk 1 great shot . Another great set of pics .

Thanks Mate,

I do like a large logo class 37. I do have a few other to do but not for Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Great Pictures Is that a Network Southeast branded Mk1 coach behind the 33 and 37?

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I have a few with NSE branding on they used to get about a bit. I have a few Scotrail branded coaches too it makes for a nice bit of variety. 

Cheers Peter.

In the late 80s/early 90s there were a lot of Dace working out of Three Bridges, but I don't seem to recall any Crabs.

Hi John,

I think there were more Dace than Crab. I did a quick Google search it seems the Crab were converted from Lamprey wagons during the 80s.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Two great sets of photos, especially 284 with the 4 HBA/HEAs. Short trip freights like that are sadly missed these days - they were a real gift to us modellers who were always short of space.

I also added the "greedy boards" to a couple of my dogfish. They make a nice contrast in height, in a rake of otherwise similar wagons.

Keep going with the loco fleet review....

Cheers

Alan

Ooh, Very nice indeed. Nice to see your 37's out in force. Especially like 284 with the HEA's. Very impressed with your greedy Dogfish. Just how I remember them.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus,

37284 was a a bit of a beast. I had it for haulage on a railtour where it top and tailed two class 33s up and down a few valley lines. I had a couple of nice pics of the loco so thought it would be a good loco to model.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Two great sets of photos, especially 284 with the 4 HBA/HEAs. Short trip freights like that are sadly missed these days - they were a real gift to us modellers who were always short of space.

I also added the "greedy boards" to a couple of my dogfish. They make a nice contrast in height, in a rake of otherwise similar wagons.

Keep going with the loco fleet review....

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan,

I am pretty happy with the Dogfish it's nice to have a bit of variety. 

I run a few trip working on Llanbourne, they were quite common back in the day. It's nice to see a big loco hauling a couple of wagons certainly brings back a few memories.

Cheers Peter.

Very nice 37s you have here Peter!!! :senile:

Thanks,

I do have a few others to do but they are not as high on the list as some other loco's.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Mark,

Glad you like the fleet updates, I actually have a Lima 31444 which sits in my display cabinet, I did think of putting a Hornby chassis under the Lima model but it's not the best model really, the Hornby loco looks the better option at the moment.

Quick question I think I asked once before. Did you do an article on doing an ODA wagon I have the Parkside bits to do one. Any tips on what to do would be great.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I have modelled a couple of ODA's but didn't do an article on them. I think it was Dave McWilliams that did in Rail Express a while back.

As I recall the body was built up from the pipe kit and then the under frame was built up using a mixture of the original kit and the VEA chassis kit. The way I did it was to cut the sole bar in the middle on the VEA add in the middle part from the pipe kit frames with the bolt head detail on it and then added in some more frames section to the outer edges to extend the frame to the headstocks. Apart from making sure these were all square and lined up it went together quite well. My friend Andy has done a few and he did it by cutting off the w irons and detail from the VEA frame and adding that to the longer pipe frames which sounds simpler. The good thing with the park side kits is they go together well and plastic weld soon hides any joints.

Hope that's of some help.

Like those Dogfish weathered up and the variety with the raised sides. I've got a short rake to detail up as I remember the yard at Carnforth being full of them when I passed.

cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks Mark,

I think I have that article now your mention it. I will have a look at the bits and see what looks easiest both methods sound pretty good.

One of the regular ballast trains along the coast did come from Carnforth I don't remember going past this yard back in the day but it seems it was quite busy with engineers traffic in those days.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Class 40s had been an everyday sight for most of the early 80s but by late 85 only four were left in traffic. 40122 D200 had been painted green earlier in the 80s and was still in use on railtours though it did see use on service trains to keep it in good running order. Four withdrawn class 40's were reinstated during 85 for use around Crewe for the re-modelling project. 40012 40060 40118 40135 were re numbered into class 97's and were restricted to 35 mph. Once the work had finished around Crewe the loco's were keeped on by the Civil Engineers and saw other work on ballast trains etc in the North West. The 97's made regular trips along the coast to Penmaenmawr Quarry.

Llanbourne doesn't have any booked class 40 work but 40122 can be seen on the weekday Summer dated train from Stoke which does do a trip down the branch.  Also other passenger and freight work vice other motive power. The 97's can be seen on ballast work vice other motive power and Engineers trains as required.

40012 (97407) CD.  40122 (D200)  KD. 40135 (97406) CD. 

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-32031100-1461232826_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-89861200-1461232877_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-70146800-1461232957_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-15653100-1461232993_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-08029700-1461233044_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

If the Kadee wasn't so obvious on 97406 / 40135 (4th from top) it would be quite hard to pick as a model.  The rest are at least up to the current standards but that one made me look three times .....

Sterling work.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Great photos of some excellent models, spot on with the details.  I think the weathering on Aureol is just superb..... I can only hope to get something close with 118 :)

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills