RMweb

Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Nice to see your updates and photos of Lanbourne and Larry's photos are also very interesting as well. Your speedlink workings look especially good worked into the station area - the weathering on the PCA is spot on.

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Hi Pete, the pic was taken where they used to load the transit vans over the back beyond the pad ect, now its Mowlems LWR plant , we have IGAs in with rails for welding and LWRT and RDT trains in for loading , this train was fully loaded with rails and the 350s have to pull them out and into the yard , with the length of these trains the loco is down by the station before it starts the long push (up hill) back into the yard...they have broke a few 08/09s some get repaired some get withdrawn, they spend alot of time on the back of lorrys being carted around the country...I`ll have a look out for that mag and will start packing soon....heres todays job, L/E EH-WEFOC then ECS to EH...not sure about the liv!..see ya soon :D

post-6833-0-69627200-1301319429_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Rick, glad you enjoyed youself.:D

Thanks for those superb pics Larry, the shed ones will be useful and show that I am ok doing one road without a pit as it looks like some of the roads in your pics don't have pits.

I love the pair of 40s (97s) one of the reasons for me modelling North Wales in the first place was so I could have a few of these loco's.:D The internal user wagons is nice too, I will add that to my to do list, it will look good on the blocks.

Hi Mark, The Speedlink comes into what I call the freight loop next to the station. The train loco or yard pilot then add wagons from the station yard normally VGAs empty TTAs from the fuel point and HEAs that have been tripped from the off scene coal yard. once the train is made up it sits for a while before departing back to Warrington. The PCAs were weathered a while ago and I have more to do but can't remember how I did them.:(

Hi YVM, Ok I know where you mean now, does the area cover the, what we used to call the military sidings? Do the Transits go by road now?

I remember pulling a long train of track panels and ballast hoppers out of 2 reception road and trying to push back up to the PAD, it was raining and even with the sand on we were just sat there slipping, luckily a 47 from the holding sidings was comming up behind us, I think it was Mr Slade anyway he saw that we were going nowhere and with much clag from the 47 gave us a shove up to the groundframe, this gave us enough speed to get into the PAD were we found one of the reasons we had had trouble was that one wagon still had some air and was dragging it's brakes. Oooops.

Thanks Grimley, I will have to see what I can do.;)

Cheers Peter.

Hi all,

No progress on the layout this week, but I did get out there this afternoon and take a few pics.

I have done a few in black and white inspired by Larry lovely pics. I really like the shot of 25035 leaving the shed so I have tried to replicate this with my 25059.:D

37232 was in the station with a Cardiff - Bangor service, Cardiff must have been short of motive power as this service is booked for a class 33. I have a pic of this loco working a Bristol local service to Taunton, I rode on the train to Yatton and saw the train blast out of the station. HELLFIRE !!! I am sure I am not the only one to model a loco because of a great memory of seeing it working.:D

Also in the station is a 108 departing to Chester.

08472 is ticking over in the fuel tank road.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-53285200-1301732176_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-05123000-1301732202_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-81419600-1301732236_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-92638100-1301732318_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-80905200-1301732350_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-33390700-1301732394_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-09677200-1301732475_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-64098200-1301732523_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-76126500-1301732597_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Looking good Peter. The Class 37 looks the part. I thought a bit of something old/something newish might be of interest. Both pictures show block trains. The first is of 40035 leaving Glan Conwy Freight Terminal (built 1980) with cement on 8th March 1983. In the foregound is the newly laid high speed crossover and the Up relief line laid on redundant slow-line trackbed in readiness for increased fly-ash traffic.....

post-6680-0-69335800-1301733750_thumb.jpg

The second shot is quite rare. Locos were often named after a location or company but rarely revisited the area. This is 'Amlwch Freighter' actually working the 7F18 Associated Octel tanks from Amlwch to Ellesmere Port, photographed while laying over in the yard behind Llandudno Junction station (sorry no date to hand).....

post-6680-0-25575400-1301733757_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Peter,

Great pictures of your layout. That NSE branded coach is very nice as well. That working reminds me of a scratch set I saw at Grange once in the late 80's with a blue 37 and 3 mark 1's. I don't know why I remember that so well but at the time it was usually 31's and 108's even together when the DMU's failed and to see a 37 with NSE branding coaches was something a little unusual.

The real picture of the 40 is very interesting as well.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Larry,

Nice picture of 035 on the cement, I was on that day as box lad in the Junction as for the Up Passenger Loop it was brought into service because we lost the Up avoiding line (Alan can comfim I think).

To get the Fly Ash over to the UPL would require it to go though the top cross over with would have meant the back end would be in Conwy Tube, would only use that route for class 40's and the playing of trains :) .

As that route would also mean pulling over 30 levers most of the Signalmen would leave it to The Box lad, in fact 0800 to 1800 Mon to Sat Junc Box was run by the Box Lad hence why the driver knew they would always get a run in front of an express if they had a 40 on and would open it up :lol: Plus why you might of missed a few frieghts due to them running early :P :lol:

Stu

Looking good Peter. The Class 37 looks the part. I thought a bit of something old/something newish might be of interest. Both pictures show block trains. The first is of 40035 leaving Glan Conwy Freight Terminal (built 1980) with cement on 8th March 1983. In the foregound is the newly laid high speed crossover and the Up relief line laid on redundant slow-line trackbed in readiness for increased fly-ash traffic.....

post-6680-0-69335800-1301733750_thumb.jpg

The second shot is quite rare. Locos were often named after a location or company but rarely revisited the area. This is 'Amlwch Freighter' actually working the 7F18 Associated Octel tanks from Amlwch to Ellesmere Port, photographed while laying over in the yard behind Llandudno Junction station (sorry no date to hand).....

post-6680-0-25575400-1301733757_thumb.jpg

Thanks Larry,

More nice pictures, It's funny you chose the class 40 on cement as only last week a friend of mine bought his rake of Bachmann wagons over to give them a run on Llanbourne, we had a class 15 up the front though and not a class 40. The date is of interest too as March the 8th is my birthday.:D

The Amlwch to Ellesmere is a train I would love to model, hopefully someone will bring out a kit or RTR of some of the tank wagons one day. If anyone has done a coversion using available bits let me know.;)

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Great pictures of your layout. That NSE branded coach is very nice as well. That working reminds me of a scratch set I saw at Grange once in the late 80's with a blue 37 and 3 mark 1's. I don't know why I remember that so well but at the time it was usually 31's and 108's even together when the DMU's failed and to see a 37 with NSE branding coaches was something a little unusual.

The real picture of the 40 is very interesting as well.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks, a few of my MK1s have the NSE branding, the Pompy- Cardiff and Cardiff -Crewe train seemed to use similar rakes.

I think a class 37 at Grange would have been fairly rare as like you say class 31s normally worked the passenger, I am sure I have seen a pic of NSE livery coaches on trains up that way too.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

The Amlwch to Ellesmere is a train I would love to model, hopefully someone will bring out a kit or RTR of some of the tank wagons one day. If anyone has done a coversion using available bits let me know.;)

Cheers Peter.

Pete

Have a look at recent posts on Leaford thread, Kevin has the very train you're talking about I think.;)

Pete

Have a look at recent posts on Leaford thread, Kevin has the very train you're talking about I think.;)

Thanks Ian,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, had a busy few days. I had a look at Kevs thread and the wagons look great, I think some of the info on how they were build could come in handy.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Rich,

Here are a couple of pics for you.

As some of you know my brother 'Yellowvanman' is over here on holiday at the moment, so I haven't done much out in the garage apart from run a few train for Keith and his nipper James. I managed to get one of the pair playing trains tonight, Keith is concentrating on driving in a class 25 on Speedlink.:D

A couple from earlier in the week, Keith gets a pic of K163, we also managed an hour on the bridge near Southern Cross in Melbourne, unfortunately the weather was pants.:(

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-0-29143800-1302871224_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-66423300-1302871261_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-10811700-1302871320_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-33471200-1302871359_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-01929600-1302871407_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-30355600-1302871464_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Peter

Great pics as ever. I particularly like the one with your brother his son on, as it shows the layout relative to the 'real world' - most of the time I end up looking at the pics thinking they're the real world and it's easy to forget how small and detailed it actually is.

Great work all round.

Cheers

Phil

PS I 'loosely' based my hill with a tunnel on Beresford Junction on yours, although being my first attempt at it, it's still very much WIP.

Thanks for your coments guys.

Hi Lewis, I remember seeing the old carriage shed during the late 80s early 90s, it's shame its gone as with so much other railway infrastructure. The detail on the layout is coming together quite well though I do need to get some more done, and stop working on stock.:D

Thanks wal, I do like my class 25s. I know they aren't the most accurate model but I like them.

No worries Rich, I think the EMU you mentioned is in a couple of Larrys pics at the top of the last page. I will take a few more pics of Llanbourne in the next few days as I have been out in the garage playing trains, so there is a bit of stock about.:D

Thanks Alex, You are more then welcome to drop by if you are ever in Melbourne.:D We are only about an hours drive South of the city.

Thanks Phil, I ahd a quick at your thread and your senics are looking good, I really have to do some senics on my new bit, just need to work what I need to do.

Cheers Peter

post-7022-0-86752600-1303043649_thumb.jpg

• Like 3