RMweb

Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Great photos as always from your layout - looking down it like that is a view we don't see too often and from that angle the fuel point and storage tanks llook great as there is plenty of space around them so looks very realistic!

That last photo you posted is the other main station in Melbourne isn't it - I'm sure that was near to our hotel when we were there back in 2005. I do have picutes of the main station somewhere! One day we'll be back for a visit thats for sure!

Mark

It is what used to be called Spencer Street station, now Southern Cross station (why??). It is nice and airy and spacious, especially good for photography, unlike the old decrepit station buildings and canopies.

As for the layout, it is even better in the flesh than in the photos (good as they are). There are so many small but realistic details, as well as Peter's excellent detailing and weathering of his stock.

B)

Its to confuse all the tourists that turn up looking for Spencer st Station in the lonely planets... should have purchased the latest issue! I can remember a few years ago having to help 2 Japanese tourists off the train as they were confused by the new name!

• RMweb Premium
now Southern Cross station (why??).

Politics.

The State Government basically funded the rebuild and got to call shots on the new name. More than a few people still arrive looking for Spencer Street station (of which almost nothing remains) and some even get off as their train terminates there and ask for the time of the "Next train to Spencer Street".

Old habits die hard.

Hi Pete,

Great to see your brother has a nice bear in his hand!!!!

Gary in Tas

Hi Gaz,

It's what I normally drink, Keith is more an Ale drinker and we have been to a few Breweries since he has been here and we have found a few nice beers. That said he doesn't mind a Boag's.:D

Cheers Peter.

Love the Peaks on the fuelling point, quality!

Good skills YVM driving whilst holding a beer! BR obviously were not as strict back then! :lol: :P

Thanks Grimley,

For an 80s based layout it would be rude not to have a few beers while driving, especially in my Garage.:lol: ;)

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Mark,

If you ever come back to Melbourne let me know, you are more tham welcome. My brother and his family have had a great time. We went on Puffing Billy today which was great I haven't been on it for years.

As the other guys said the N class is at Southern Cross, I think the new station looks pretty good, but not as nice as Flinders Street.:D

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter,

I bought an Austrains model when I was over there I will have to put it on Rannoch at some point for you - got it from a shop in Melbourne had to take a train out from the centre one of the days to get there. When I left to come back it was in my hand luggage and its the only time I've ever had my bags searched as it came up as a suspect item when they scanned it. The man still looked confused when I explained what it was and insisted on seeing it but as soon as I removed the box lid he was quite happy if not a bit suprised!

Mark

Thanks Peter,

I bought an Austrains model when I was over there I will have to put it on Rannoch at some point for you - got it from a shop in Melbourne had to take a train out from the centre one of the days to get there. When I left to come back it was in my hand luggage and its the only time I've ever had my bags searched as it came up as a suspect item when they scanned it. The man still looked confused when I explained what it was and insisted on seeing it but as soon as I removed the box lid he was quite happy if not a bit suprised!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear you got the loco home,:D is it a T class? There are some very nice Australian models out there. One company released an A class last year and I was very tempted as it's one of my favourite locos, the same company recently released the N class which is another superb model but with a price tag of just under $ 300 I haven't bought one, yet.;)

Best of luck with your bridge jump, try and get a few train pics while you are up there though, I can't imagine there will be many train pics from up there.;) :D

Cheers Peter.

Cheers Peter.

Something I have done in the last few weeks is fix my bad running 37694. I removed the centre wheels which were sitting lower than the others making the bogies rock. I filed some plastic away and pushed the wheels back in they now sit level with the others and the loco runs alot better, and has been getting a bit of use.

Here is ex works 37694 on the 7D30 Crewe - Penmaenmawr the loco has just run round and is about to depart. I am not sure if Crewe ever did send out ex works locos on normal service trains after being on test, but I think 37694 looks quite at home on the ballast.:D

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-03650100-1303561211_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-56663800-1303561235_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Bruv, great to see ya all over the last few weeks, I must say how good your layout looks in the flesh and how enjoyable it is to operate with all your detailed stock ect ( including your ex-works 37 which is superb)..I now see why you use the kadee coupler things with magnets they make very realistic coupling and uncupling..as long as you stop in the right place ...look forward to seeing the extention being built...are you going out for the` diappearing` steel train this week ?....watch out for the ditch :D ..here a couple of pics I took ..( managed to scoop in another `little creatures` pale ale in melbourne Airport..$10 for a pint..:blink: .) cheers YVM..

post-6833-0-71544200-1303579061_thumb.jpg

post-6833-0-68759000-1303579126_thumb.jpg

post-6833-0-73256600-1303579178_thumb.jpg

post-6833-0-57110600-1303579219_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Here is ex works 37694 on the 7D30 Crewe - Penmaenmawr the loco has just run round and is about to depart. I am not sure if Crewe ever did send out ex works locos on normal service trains after being on test, but I think 37694 looks quite at home on the ballast.:D

They did. :)

They did. :)

I remember seeing ex works 37/5's and 37/7's at Shrewsbury on the Cawoods Coals and South Wales Steel trains around 1986. I remember when I first saw a flush front refurb 37 (might have been 797) - wondered where it had come from and who had done the damage... One of the regular spotters then explained to me the large scale refurbishment programme that was being undertaken. My out of date Platform 5 spotters book needed some editing! The flush fronts were a grower though and I can't wait to get one of the general release Bachmann jobs in due course!

Hi Bruv, great to see ya all over the last few weeks, I must say how good your layout looks in the flesh and how enjoyable it is to operate with all your detailed stock ect ( including your ex-works 37 which is superb)..I now see why you use the kadee coupler things with magnets they make very realistic coupling and uncupling..as long as you stop in the right place ...look forward to seeing the extention being built...are you going out for the` diappearing` steel train this week ?....watch out for the ditch :D ..here a couple of pics I took ..( managed to scoop in another `little creatures` pale ale in melbourne Airport..$10 for a pint..:blink: .) cheers YVM..

Hi keith,

Glad you all arrived home ok, it was great to see you all too. The layout did run well when we were out there playing. I didn't now about that third pic down.dry.gif 25904 is still being used as station pilot.

Yes the steel train,:rolleyes: I will keep an eye out for it once I am back at work, can't believe you paid $10 for a pint but then you do like a beer don't you.:P

Cheers Peter.

I remember seeing ex works 37/5's and 37/7's at Shrewsbury on the Cawoods Coals and South Wales Steel trains around 1986. I remember when I first saw a flush front refurb 37 (might have been 797) - wondered where it had come from and who had done the damage... One of the regular spotters then explained to me the large scale refurbishment programme that was being undertaken. My out of date Platform 5 spotters book needed some editing! The flush fronts were a grower though and I can't wait to get one of the general release Bachmann jobs in due course!

Hi Alex,

I saw my first 37/5 at Newport and thought it looked pretty good I might have to get one at some point. I actually have a Platform 5 book on my computer desk at the moment. I must admit I didn't buy each one.

Cheers Peter.

Nice photos, Keith, and you managed to get The Man himself in! ;)

Hi Jeff,

Yes he did, not sure what my arm is doing, I may have been cleaning a bit of track.

Cheers Peter.

33026 is arriving with the 1D27 from Crewe, I think the Heljan 33/0 comes up alright with a bit of work I have added etch bufferbeam footsteps and an exhauster which will be standard fetures on the Phil Sutton new and improved loco. I am hoping they will do a batch of single locos I could be very tempted.:D My 33026 just needs some Pete Harvey bogie steps. to finish it off.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-48060700-1303611712_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-36330600-1303611742_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I have almost finished the loco shed area now, all I really need to do now is build a loco shed.:D Anyway, while I had the saw out and was in build mode I decided to add some width to the other side of the layout, I had been thinking about this for a while, the idea is to make it better for taking pics over on platform 1 as the track was right near the edge.

A new Oxford Landrover arrived last week, I was planning to put it with a couple of Cararama ones, unfortunately there is a bit of a size difference. My guess is the Cararama Landrovers are a bit big is that right or is the Oxford Landrover a bit small?

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-19001700-1304765919_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-94005500-1304765964_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-17718700-1304766001_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-82878400-1304766057_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-53844100-1304766095_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I think the Cararama ones are nearer 1/72 scale. If you keep them apart by about 9" or more,the difference will not be noticeable.

Adding that extra width is an interesting development. It will certainly facilitate taking photos along that edge.

Keep up the brilliant work. :yahoo:

Hi Peter,

You have been busy, that doesn't look like a small job extending that front edge but I think it will add even more to a great layout! I agree with you on your 33 it looks a really decent model with the work you have put in. I have ordered the DRS pair and hope they do Eastleigh in green as well as I rememeber seeing that loco when I was younger! The Howes sound chip for the 33 is also my favourite as it has some really nice thrash on it!

Keep up the good work,

Mark