Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks Phill,

Great to see you back on here, Hope you are well. Just watched the youtube clip nice to see the layout running. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I am indeed back on RMW & intend to keep you updated with Layout & Workbench threads (is that a good or bad thing? LOL )......glad you enjoyed the Youtube channel too! 

Cheers Phill

Hi Peter,

I am indeed back on RMW & intend to keep you updated with Layout & Workbench threads (is that a good or bad thing? LOL )......glad you enjoyed the Youtube channel too! 

Cheers Phill

Hi Phill,

Great to have you back looking forwards to updates I always enjoyed following your work on the layout and stock.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I'll reiterate Phils (Onslaught832) comments... it's nice to see some serious whistler action on Llanbourne again.  The layout is really moving forward in leaps and bounds... inspirational stuff  :good_mini:

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I do like my class 40s, 40012 is a real favourite at the moment, now that it has a Bachmann chassis it's running is superb. 

I didn't get anything done over the weekend so hopefully I will get some more done during the week.

Cheers Peter.

Some progress with weathering up the ballast, I have also wired in an Eckon ground signal, and managed to wire it without melting it.

45036 is poking out of the tunnel. It's been in store for over a year but is now running with a hard wired Hattons decoder.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-47651700-1413271346_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-97922600-1413271378_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-11985000-1413271422_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-96641700-1413271466_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-31643800-1413271495_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Looking good are the hattons decoders any good?

David

Hi David,

I bought a few and have them fitted to 3 locos so far. They seem ok though they haven't had a lot of use really as Llanbourne hasn't been run for a while.

Cheers Peter.

Hi David,

I bought a few and have them fitted to 3 locos so far. They seem ok though they haven't had a lot of use really as Llanbourne hasn't been run for a while.

Cheers Peter.

I've got some Hattons decoders in my Heljan 47s and in my Hornby 31, I've not had any issues with them so far. I like the Peak by the way Peter.

• Like 1

I bought quite a few Hattons decoders with a view to using them as function-only decoders in the likes of Bachmann's DMUs that require a decoder in the trailer/unpowered cars.

However, I have used them in several locomotives and units and they are surprisingly good, especially in view of their price. They are not quite the equal of expensive decoders such as ESU, Zimo or Lenz but they are still full-functioned and reasonably smooth in operation, at least in the installations I have done so far.

They don't seem to have any overload protection though; I have managed to blow up a couple already, although that is probably coloured by my use of cheap decoders to test 'iffy' subjects where I didn't want to blow up more expensive decoders.

Edited by SRman

I like the flowing trackwork you have achieved Peter.......very nice :)

Thanks Phill, It's a better job than the station area, I might have to re do some of that at some point. Some of track in the station area is well over 25 years old now.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, just catching up on Llanbourne, you have been busy. Love all the engineering trains, Whistler fans must have been in their element! Great weathering as usual.

The track is looking very good, can't wait to see Grid 70 on the HAAs at Llanbourne......

Thanks Alex,

56070 is almost ready, I just need to weather it. I have almost finished 3 HAAs just 9 more to do. :locomotive: Working on stock has pretty much stopped at the moment as I am working on the layout, and while I am in the mood to do it I will keep going.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-57332600-1413532342.jpg

post-7022-0-07737800-1413532409_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Your latest developments look very nice Peter. You have been busy. I do like the flow of both the scenery and the track. No train set curves there! Nice weathering of the track too.

Like Alex, I'm looking forward to seeing the MGR train. I've always liked them.

Cheers,

Dave

Your latest developments look very nice Peter. You have been busy. I do like the flow of both the scenery and the track. No train set curves there! Nice weathering of the track too.

Like Alex, I'm looking forward to seeing the MGR train. I've always liked them.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Train set curves are hidden in the tunnel. :senile: Looks like you have been busy too sorry to hear you have to re do your hard standing area. I thought plasticard would be the go. 

Hopefully the other 9 HAAs wont take as too long now that I know what I need to do, having done the first 3.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Train set curves are hidden in the tunnel. :senile:

Cheers Peter.

You've been peeking haven't you ;)  My only "train set curve" is neatly disguised by the tunnel in one corner.  The giveaway is that trains emerge at around 90 degrees to the direction they enter it!  Looking forward to the next gathering at Llanbourne now I'm back over.

A couple of pics of the Cambrian kit.

Nah - they're the real thing.  Surely?  

You've been peeking haven't you ;)  My only "train set curve" is neatly disguised by the tunnel in one corner.  The giveaway is that trains emerge at around 90 degrees to the direction they enter it!  Looking forward to the next gathering at Llanbourne now I'm back over.

Nah - they're the real thing.  Surely?  

Welcome back Rick,

I will be great to catch up next month, as you can see I am getting a bit done for the meeting.

Will we be seeing more pics of Penhayle Bay soon must be time to clean it off for the Spring. I bet you bought back a few new items as well.

Cheers Peter.

Very nice, are those the Hornby RR HAAs? 

Hi, 

Yes they are, I couldn't resist when I saw them released in a 3 pack. I can only fit 12 wagons in my sidings so it's a bit on the short side but doesn't look to bad.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter - Just getting used to being back and I've already dropped Sharon at the airport for 10 days of PhD work and a conference in Canada!  We seem to be World-travel commuters these days having between us set foot between us in the UK, Australia, Qatar, UAE and Canada in the past week alone!

There's a modest amount of new rolling stock though mostly only to strengthen existing stuff.  The CDA rake goes up from 14 to 20 wagons, the weathered "silver bullets" from 5 to 8 and the NSE Mk1 rake finally has a CK in it.  There's a lot of cleaning to do before any of it can run but yes there will be new pictures as soon as there's anything worth showing.

I stopped off at Eastleigh to see what was in and remembered your stories about riding up and down the yard on shunters.  Found the surviving class 07 and something carrying an 01xxx number alongside a rake of ex-LT tube stock and a line of 66s plus a 60 up the yard.  

• Like 1

Hi Peter - Just getting used to being back and I've already dropped Sharon at the airport for 10 days of PhD work and a conference in Canada!  We seem to be World-travel commuters these days having between us set foot between us in the UK, Australia, Qatar, UAE and Canada in the past week alone!

There's a modest amount of new rolling stock though mostly only to strengthen existing stuff.  The CDA rake goes up from 14 to 20 wagons, the weathered "silver bullets" from 5 to 8 and the NSE Mk1 rake finally has a CK in it.  There's a lot of cleaning to do before any of it can run but yes there will be new pictures as soon as there's anything worth showing.

I stopped off at Eastleigh to see what was in and remembered your stories about riding up and down the yard on shunters.  Found the surviving class 07 and something carrying an 01xxx number alongside a rake of ex-LT tube stock and a line of 66s plus a 60 up the yard.  

Hi Rick,

You are a busy couple, pleased to hear you managed a few purchases. I really like those not so Silver bullets though I think they came out a bit late for my time period.

Eastleigh is still a busy place, and East yard is still pretty busy. The class 60 is used as a super shunter for mainly shunting the stone wagons and an 08 is used for the other shunting. In the last few weeks this has been taken away as DBS want to scrap the remaining 08s. My brother tells things have been leaving late due to lack of a shunter which was made even worse the other day when the class 60 was borrowed due to a failed class 66 leaving the yard with no shunter. It seems things haven't changed that much from back when I worked there. :locomotive:

The class 60 and 08 were both busy when I was there back in May. My brother is the driver in the class 60.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-44151200-1413701137_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-75498800-1413701172_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

And you managed to catch a Colas 70 in there as well.  Didn't find any of those on my visit but saw most of them elsewhere on the region including on ballast workings from Eastleigh to the major work sites on the Brighton line.  Some nights we got three along the coast each with a 70 at both ends.  The track panel train was always a 66 though.  The work is to replace Keymer Junction, Haywards Heath tunnel and station area plus the ongoing depot construction at Three Bridges.

All a long way from Llanbourne ;)