Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Thinking of York takes me back.  1974 was my first (and only throughout) acquaintance with the overnight York - Aberystwyth passenger and mails train.  Three Mk1 coaches, a bogie van and four ex-Insulfish 4-wheelers converted for parcels traffic behind a 40.  Somewhere in the night, possibly Manchester, that was replaced with a 24.

Hi Stu,

Yes, it was, the worst in my mind was Leeds, where I had to spend an enforced stop over!!!!

Terry,

I was only 14 then, went with my elder brother, but I'm still very young at heart though!!!

Jinty ;-)

Bristol was ok Carlisle was a no no, tried to sleep on a Brute in the cold because of drunks in the waiting room. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes I am older than you then, '62 vintage I am!!!!

My Brother used to develop and print both of our films, but as I said, I was never the best photographer.

It's only since the onset of digital cameras that I've taken more of an interest in it. If I'd of done so in my younger years, I might of had some good images to share now, like some of the ones on here!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty,

Only a few years between us then, I was born in 68. My wifes thinks men don't mature must past the mental age of 17 so i am ok with that. I even have a mug that says 'Still Plays With Trains'.

Do you have any pics from back in the day? I still look at my old 110 Instamatic pics. They were pretty crappy pics but still bring back the memories.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Thinking of York takes me back.  1974 was my first (and only throughout) acquaintance with the overnight York - Aberystwyth passenger and mails train.  Three Mk1 coaches, a bogie van and four ex-Insulfish 4-wheelers converted for parcels traffic behind a 40.  Somewhere in the night, possibly Manchester, that was replaced with a 24.

Jealous as, I never saw a class 24 back in the day but had a ride on one last year at Swanage, What a Beast.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

24 - early morning - greasy rails up Talerddig.  Yup - beast.  A sound to rival paired 33s taking load 11 up Honition Bank on the summer Saturday Brighton - Exeter.  Or a single 26 struggling with the overnight Euston - Fort Willam / Glasgow - Malliag early morning combined working struggling up to Glen Douglas in the mist.   ;)

Edited by Gwiwer

Do you have any pics from back in the day? I still look at my old 110 Instamatic pics. They were pretty crappy pics but still bring back the memories.

Cheers Peter.

I had a Zorki K4 (I think that's right) 35mm camera my Brother got me for Christmas, It took great pictures when he used it, but not so much for me, although I did get a few good ones along the way. Unfortunately I had a house fire in the early 90's that obliterated everything. So no I've got nothing left.

Jinty ;-)

24 - early morning - greasy rails up Talerddig.  Yup - beast.  A sound to rival paired 33s taking load 11 up Honition Bank on the summer Saturday Brighton - Exeter.  Or a single 26 struggling with the overnight Euston - Fort Willam / Glasgow - Malliag early morning combined working struggling up to Glen Douglas in the mist.   ;)

You can stop it now. So jealous. Only had a couple of class 26s, as for a pair of Cromptons yes pure Thrash.

Cheers Peter.

I had a Zorki K4 (I think that's right) 35mm camera my Brother got me for Christmas, It took great pictures when he used it, but not so much for me, although I did get a few good ones along the way. Unfortunately I had a house fire in the early 90's that obliterated everything. So no I've got nothing left.

Jinty ;-)

Sorry to hear that, though at least these days with Flickr etc we can see other peoples pics from back in the day, a great source of inspiration.

There were some very good photographers out and about during the 70s and 80s which makes up for some of the rubbish I took.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

26s were rare on the West Highland when I was there at the end of the 70s, nearly all the passenger trains being worked by 27s and the freights by pairs of 20s. Breakfast at Crianlarich was always to be savoured. The 37s were just starting to appear.

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jinty,

Only a few years between us then, I was born in 68. My wifes thinks men don't mature must past the mental age of 17 so i am ok with that. I even have a mug that says 'Still Plays With Trains'.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, I sometimes still get asked what I am going to do when I grow up. I answer that I don't know yet.

I am 58.

• Like 1

Peter, I sometimes still get asked what I am going to do when I grow up. I answer that I don't know yet.

I am 58.

I'm still working on it!!!!!! :imsohappy:

Seriously though I think someone should start a topic in the Prototype forum, 'Spotting Memories' (Althoughh it's probably already been done!!!) lol

Jinty ;-)

• Like 1

26s were rare on the West Highland when I was there at the end of the 70s, nearly all the passneger trains being worked by 27s and the freights by pairs of 20s. Breakfast at Crianlarich was always to be savoured. The 37s were just starting to appear.

Bacon and Egg rolls and a decent cup of tea were the go at Crianlarich as the cafe wasn't run by BR at the time.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

26s were rare on the West Highland when I was there at the end of the 70s, nearly all the passneger trains being worked by 27s and the freights by pairs of 20s. Breakfast at Crianlarich was always to be savoured. The 37s were just starting to appear.

Indeed they were by that time.  They were steadily replaced by their sisters just as they had in turn replaced the 21/29s not so many years earlier.  The 37s were more reliable and more powerful with a sound all their own but I miss the sharp bark of the Crompton kit up the glens and through the tunnels to Mallaig.

1957 vintage has had its advantages.  I can just remember steam on the WR, was fully aware of and enjoyed the hydraulic era and moved on to appreciate the earlier diesel-electrics up and down the country.  

The one place I never spent a lot of time was north Wales - home of Llanbourne (remember Llanbourne - it's Peter's layout topic after all ;) ) - despite the use of class 33s there for a few years.

• Like 2

I am 58.

I still don't know what I want to do for a career. :senile: Might figure it out one day.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

That's at the island platforms at Waverley, isn't it Peter?

Cheers

Dave

PS Happy New Year!!

Happy New Year to you Dave,

It was the platforms over on the South side from memory.

Cheers Peter.

Indeed they were by that time.  They were steadily replaced by their sisters just as they had in turn replaced the 21/29s not so many years earlier.  The 37s were more reliable and more powerful with a sound all their own but I miss the sharp bark of the Crompton kit up the glens and through the tunnels to Mallaig.

1957 vintage has had its advantages.  I can just remember steam on the WR, was fully aware of and enjoyed the hydraulic era and moved on to appreciate the earlier diesel-electrics up and down the country.  

The one place I never spent a lot of time was north Wales - home of Llanbourne (remember Llanbourne - it's Peter's layout topic after all ;) ) - despite the use of class 33s there for a few years.

Happy to off topic it's all to do with trains. Plus I can post up pics of the real stuff.

Here's a class 37 at Crianlarich.

post-7022-0-85616500-1420632289_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of which .....

..... August 1976, 06.00 Glasgow Queen St - Mallaig on a well-known viaduct.  Note the buffet car going through to Mallaig.  Not sure of the loco (26 or 27) as my notebook is stored in a box in the roof.  

Halina Paulette / AGFA 64 ASA/ISO slide film

i-SXDfgjM-L.jpg

• Like 8

I'm loving all these old bashing pictures. Really stirs up my own memories. Unfortunately I'm a mere 1972 vintage and I didn't really start bashing until the early nineties. Hope you don't mind Peter but I thought I would post up some of mine. Not Rail blue but definitely North Wales Coast.

post-18515-0-03153300-1420651959_thumb.jpg

37422 at Llandudno Junction.

post-18515-0-63373300-1420652023.jpg

37414 Rhyl

post-18515-0-93338000-1420652107_thumb.jpg

37420 Holyhead

post-18515-0-19293600-1420652246_thumb.jpg

37419 Bangor

post-18515-0-58242500-1420652321_thumb.jpg

37407 Prestatyn

post-18515-0-08983400-1420652424_thumb.jpg

37421 Rhyl

post-18515-0-93198900-1420652550_thumb.jpg

37407 Holyhead

post-18515-0-73845500-1420652639_thumb.jpg

37428 Llandudno Junction

post-18515-0-39317400-1420652708_thumb.jpg

37415 + 37420 Bangor

All I had at the time was a little Halina point and squirt camera so not the best of quality. But it's definitely the memories that count. Can't believe it's now 15 years since the 37s finished on the coast. Mind you it wasn't the end as we still had the Rhymney commuter trains and then the surprise of the top and tailed Settle & Carlisle services.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 11

Sorry to hear that, though at least these days with Flickr etc we can see other peoples pics from back in the day, a great source of inspiration.

There were some very good photographers out and about during the 70s and 80s which makes up for some of the rubbish I took.

Cheers Peter.

I clicked an 'Agree' Peter, not for your comment about your own pictures, but with regards to Flickr, etc!!!!! lol

Jinty ;-)

• Like 1