Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter, the layout is looking fabulous!!! Would you mind posting the track plan up again??

Thanks

Thanks Jack,

It's not the best pic but you should get the idea.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-127763743059_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I am also planning to add detail around the trackwork, Point motors etc. I was going to buy the Peco ones but I noticed North Wales has smaller ones.

Colin Craig clamp locks might be more suitable - Llandudno Junction has these as its motors.

Look a few posts into this thread

Now that would look even better in 7mm laugh.gif

Hi Mark,

Oh yes, but I would need a bigger garage.biggrin.gif My 7mm layout can be built along the back of the house.wink.gif

Cheers Peter.

Colin Craig clamp locks might be more suitable - Llandudno Junction has these as its motors.

Look a few posts into this thread

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that they look spot on, I had a look at Colins website but couldn't find the point motors, but as I will only need to do two points I might have a go at scratch building a few.

Llanbourne's new signal box project has hit a problem, I had a go at converting a Scenecraft signalbox, ie swapping toilet and steps around, thing is it broke and although I think its repairable I think it looked a bit small. So I will use the window frames and scratch build one. So if you have any pics of Llandudno's signalbox that would help.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Llandudno Station or Junction ?

For the (current) Junction you would need to scratch build to get a decent one, for the station you could use the London Road top (probably two joined) and scratch build a base - this would make whats known as an LNWR Type 4 cabin - perfect for North Wales.

Before you start (again!) you should draw the signalling so you know how big the cabin should be ..

Llandudno Station or Junction ?

For the (current) Junction you would need to scratch build to get a decent one, for the station you could use the London Road top (probably two joined) and scratch build a base - this would make whats known as an LNWR Type 4 cabin - perfect for North Wales.

Before you start (again!) you should draw the signalling so you know how big the cabin should be ..

Hi Dave,

Sorry station, I figure that one would be about right as Llanbourne is similar in size to Llandudno.biggrin.gif I have just been out to the garage to find some slides of Holyhead as I thought I had one showing the point motors, I will scan them and put them up later.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Llandudno is a standard Type 4 cabin - at one stage it had two boxes though, the one remaining is No.2, No.1 controlled the exit from the yard and the carriage sidings at the Junction end.

Not got any shots over and above whats available on the net I'm afraid, never went in that box :(

btw - Holyhead is an LMS cabin of 100 levers.

Llandudno is a standard Type 4 cabin - at one stage it had two boxes though, the one remaining is No.2, No.1 controlled the exit from the yard and the carriage sidings at the Junction end.

Not got any shots over and above whats available on the net I'm afraid, never went in that box sad.gif

btw - Holyhead is an LMS cabin of 100 levers.

Thanks Dave,

I think doing Llandudno box could be the go then.biggrin.gif

Holyhead box is a big ######, here are a couple of slides, one shows the point motors bit fuzzy though.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-127772134897.jpg

post-7022-127772138728.jpg

post-7022-127772144716.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Peter

If it's deffinatley Llandudno box you are doing,I will pop out and get some shots for you.

Only 3 miles from here and I can get the rear and end away from the station that nobody else photographed. I have other shots than these but my system makes them hard to find.

I'm a little bit nearer than yourself !

Merfyn.

post-1625-127772719757_thumb.jpg

The box now with the horrible plastic clading.

post-1625-127772732048_thumb.jpg

In 1987 much as it had looked for years.

• Like 3

Hi Peter

If it's deffinatley Llandudno box you are doing,I will pop out and get some shots for you.

Only 3 miles from here and I can get the rear and end away from the station that nobody else photographed. I have other shots than these but my system makes them hard to find.

I'm a little bit nearer than yourself !

Merfyn.

post-1625-127772719757_thumb.jpg

The box now with the horrible plastic clading.

post-1625-127772732048_thumb.jpg

In 1987 much as it had looked for years.

Hi Merfyn,

Thanks that would be great,biggrin.gif no rush though I have a few things on the go at the moment. I must say I like how it looked in the 80s a lot better. Have they rebuilt the base or just cleaned it and filled in the windows? looks like they have moved the steps too. Is the toilet in a seperate building or in the base?

One last question what is a 47 on steel doing at the station?blink.gif

Thanks again cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Merfyn,

Thanks that would be great,biggrin.gif no rush though I have a few things on the go at the moment. I must say I like how it looked in the 80s a lot better. Have they rebuilt the base or just cleaned it and filled in the windows? looks like they have moved the steps too. Is the toilet in a seperate building or in the base?

One last question what is a 47 on steel doing at the station?blink.gif

Thanks again cheers Peter.

OK Peter, some modeling pics. this week. The base has just had the windows bricked up.

Steps renewed. Toilet outside demolished, new one inside (posh).

47 with steel came down during the day from ??, stabled in Llandudno then in the evening was off loaded near Deganwy straight over the fence onto the site of the new Conwy tunnel works. I think after the last train on the branch.

Merf.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that they look spot on, I had a look at Colins website but couldn't find the point motors, but as I will only need to do two points I might have a go at scratch building a few.

Llanbourne's new signal box project has hit a problem, I had a go at converting a Scenecraft signalbox, ie swapping toilet and steps around, thing is it broke and although I think its repairable I think it looked a bit small. So I will use the window frames and scratch build one. So if you have any pics of Llandudno's signalbox that would help.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

Im reading this looking at the Junction Clamp locks outside my box window, if you need any pics let us know mate. Although Mev might have some pics no doubt..... :D

Stu

• RMweb Gold

I might be able to get drawings for a clamp lock - I will see what I can do.

As per Dirty Diesel, if you want pics of clamp locks I have some, even a video so you can get the noise of that last "hamster squashing" squeal as they drive home. If you want to model a Chester one then make sure the oil squirts out :lol:

Hi Merfyn, thanks for that, the posh toilet made me laugh. I worked at Eastleigh Depot for a while and one of the regular signalmen who worked the groundframe used to spend a fair bit of time in the little room he was well happy when it got a repaint. He would let us know when he was going to disappear for a while and would set the road for us to get to the box then we could help ourselves.biggrin.gif

Hi Stu and Dave, Thanks any pics or drawings would be great. The "hamster squashing" squeal laugh.gif got me thinking, Dave you could send your video to Howes and get a sound chip made up, then put a speaker under each point. wink.gif

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, I read on another thread that you might be planning on getting a Class 150/1 for Llanbourne & thought you might be interested in a couple of pics i came across:

http://colinpbrooks.fotopic.net/p61649268.html

http://colinpbrooks.fotopic.net/p55044123.html

Like yourself, at the time i hated the real things as i used them between Aberystwyth & Wolverhampton in the late 80's, but they dominated a lot of services in north/mid at the time & are now becoming classic traction compared with Voyagers & class 175's etc. Think one would look excellent coupled with your Pacers on Manchester Victoria services etc :rolleyes:

Your layout always facinates me as it really takes me back to those great days when i was a kid :D

Best regards,

Mark.

Hi Peter,

my contact says the drawing he has is only a general one - better to get some photos and model from them.

So I've photographed some for you - here

hth

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link, those pics are going to be very helpful I might even try and do the small section of rodding that goes along the side.

Cheers Peter,

post-7305-127792953519_thumb.jpg Here is one photo i have at home. (Got hundreds at work if you need more. We have to photograph them when we have completed general maintenence).

Thanks,

Those pics are great, feel free to post some more if you like.biggrin.gif More detailed pics of the grey power pack would be great.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, I read on another thread that you might be planning on getting a Class 150/1 for Llanbourne & thought you might be interested in a couple of pics i came across:

http://colinpbrooks..../p61649268.html

http://colinpbrooks..../p55044123.html

Like yourself, at the time i hated the real things as i used them between Aberystwyth & Wolverhampton in the late 80's, but they dominated a lot of services in north/mid at the time & are now becoming classic traction compared with Voyagers & class 175's etc. Think one would look excellent coupled with your Pacers on Manchester Victoria services etc rolleyes.gif

Your layout always facinates me as it really takes me back to those great days when i was a kid biggrin.gif

Best regards,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the link,biggrin.gif There are some nice pics, I will have to go back and have a better look. I like the first pic as it shows some detail of the station roof which I will try and build at some point. As for the 150 I ordered one yesterday,biggrin.gif I can have it parked in a siding with fitters looking at it and put on a loco hauled replacement.laugh.gif Seriously though I do like the model and that livery, running it with a Pacer might be hard though because a while back I put one of my Pacers next to a friends 150 and the Pacer looked a bit big, I think the old pacer just might be a bit on the chunky side.ohmy.gif

Glad you like the layout, I am going out to the garage tonight to finish 47106 so will put some pics up in a day or two.

Cheers Peter.