Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Neil,

Only a deaf person wouldn't notice your DCC.laugh.gif

Thanks for the offer, but I will leave it for know though I will keep it in mind.biggrin.gif

Any time after 1.30 next Saturday, not sure if I mentioned that.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Pete,

you didn't but I was going to ask. wink.gif see you then.

Jeff, I'll give you a ring during the week to see if you're still going or not.

cheers

Neil

Hi Peter. I print up my own number plates on the computer using Word and text boxes. Set the font to about 3 or 4 points. For reflective plates, print in black on white and bright yellow paper. For older plates, set the font to white and the text box background to black.

Poor old Doug. I'm sure he didn't know what he was letting himself in for when he volunteered to do the carpentry for me - woodwork being my weakest area! laugh.gif He may yet chuck it all back at me and say "Redesign it".

I'll be juggling gradients a bit but I have worked out that the steepest will be between 1 in 70 and 1 in 80, while the shallower bits will be around 1 in 100 - the same as Brian's Exeter Central running up to St James Halt. I won't be running more than six or seven coach expresses anyway, so most modern locos should cope. Minimum radius will be approximately 20".

Hi Jeff,

SWMBO had a go at doing some numberplates today but our computer dosn't have a font size smaller than 8.sad.gif

Cheers Peter,

Graham & Merfyn,

Thanks for the info on the buses, I have taken a pic of my other one. I also have a kit of a shorter single door Leyland, I noticed an open top Bristol on Ebay yesterday, did they get out on the coast? it looks quite good.biggrin.gif

I have also made an improvement on my Bedford van, a picture posted by Merfyn made me realise the wheels looked to wide, so I cut the axles down and glued it all back together. Looks heaps better I think.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-127218709215_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127218724212_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12721873803_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Jeff,

SWMBO had a go at doing some numberplates today but our computer dosn't have a font size smaller than 8.sad.gif

Cheers Peter,

Using Word, select the block of text, then in the font size box (in the toolbar) you need to click in it and actually type the size you want (e.g. 4) then press enter.

That does look better with the cut down axle width on the Bedford. Lovely pics, as usual, Pete.

There are a few minor tweaks you can do to the Leyland National too. I usually widen the axles (use the front axle for the rear - it may need a little trimming - and a new front axle from brass rod) and paint the inside rims of the wheelarches black or dirty grey (I use Humbrol 66 or 67). This gets the typical National appearance of the wheels filling the wheel arches with no overhang for the rear whels and aonly a small one for the front wheels. The other easy tweaks involve the windscreen. This can be released from the model with a slim knife or small, fine screwdriver to release the lower clips. Paint the edges of the screen black (this hides the prismatic effect), the centre pillar silver and the wipers either silver or black - I cheat and use a silver gel pen. Finally, paint the insides of the windscreen aperture black as this disguises the thickness of the body coloured side pillars and inward projection of the door mouldings. While you have the black or greys out, do the door centre rubbers too.

I know you have heaps of other modelling projects to do and I also know you have the exceptional skills with a paint brush to easily cope with these tweaks. You'll be surprised at just how much these little things add up to improving the National's appearance.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread - again - just see my tag line!)

These two show what I mean although I grafted mark 2 fronts on to them and filled the gaps around the interchangeable panels on the EFE models. I also used the silver gel pen on the window vents.

LeylandNational2Stagecoach3-800.jpg

See you on Saturday. smile.gif

• Like 2

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info on the bus I might have a go at that, I can make it one of those jobs I can do while I am waiting for glue or paint to dry, or when I get only a small amount time in the garage.

I will also have a go at some numberplates too, now you have explained it.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

I can't keep up with you updates! Some great pictures though and it is interesting to see the road vehicles as well. Those tips for the Leyland nationals are useful as well - might need to have a go at those myself on some of my buses. Further back your photo of the weather reminded me just now of the Lightning we saw along the Great Ocean Road when we where there back in 2005!

Keep up the great work,

Mark

Hi Peter

Your reference to the open top Bristol, what type ?

Open top buses in North Wales have traditionaly operated only in Rhyl or Llandudno areas, but as Llanbourne is ficticous no reason why they couldn't have had some as well. In more recent times, 1990s on they have made brief appearances at Barmouth, Pwllheli and Aberystwyth without long time success.

The livery on the National was still around in 1986, but dual door Nationals were based in Merseyside or Cheshire. All in North Wales were single door. One of the type as modeled by EFE was WFM818L, tried at Llandudno Junction in the 70s but sent back over the border, perhaps it got moved to Llanbourne in later life !

If you are successful with the number plates, try the destination display for the bus, somthing local to replace F23 Woodside.

Merfyn.

Using Word, select the block of text, then in the font size box (in the toolbar) you need to click in it and actually type the size you want (e.g. 4) then press enter.

Hey Jeff, Thanks for that. I did it and it worked a treat.

Thanks Leanne (SWMBO)icon_razz.gif

Hi Peter

Your reference to the open top Bristol, what type ?

Open top buses in North Wales have traditionaly operated only in Rhyl or Llandudno areas, but as Llanbourne is ficticous no reason why they couldn't have had some as well. In more recent times, 1990s on they have made brief appearances at Barmouth, Pwllheli and Aberystwyth without long time success.

The livery on the National was still around in 1986, but dual door Nationals were based in Merseyside or Cheshire. All in North Wales were single door. One of the type as modeled by EFE was WFM818L, tried at Llandudno Junction in the 70s but sent back over the border, perhaps it got moved to Llanbourne in later life !

If you are successful with the number plates, try the destination display for the bus, somthing local to replace F23 Woodside.

Merfyn.

Hi Merfyn,

The open top bus is a Bristol VR111 in green white and yellow livery with 'Happy Dragon' written in the yellow.

Shame about the National a couple of those would look quite good, I do have a kit of a single door National with shorter wheel base I might have to build that if its any good.

The numberplates were a success, I think you will be pleased with one of the Bedfords I have done,biggrin.gif I will post a pic later. Yes the destination on the National will get changed.

You asked the other day where I imagine Llanbourne to be, and I hope you don't mind but in my ficticous world I have done away with Llandudno and Llandudno Junction and in its place is Llanbourne which acts as a through terminus where trains have a loco change or as with the Cardiff and Crewe trains, the loco runs round.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-127254665629_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I think you have made a wise choice Peter ! You have much better scope for running trains using Llanbourne instead of a proper location !

Now you're getting the best of both worlds ! wink.gif

Cheers,

Graham.

Hi Merfyn,

The open top bus is a Bristol VR111 in green white and yellow livery with 'Happy Dragon' written in the yellow.

Shame about the National a couple of those would look quite good, I do have a kit of a single door National with shorter wheel base I might have to build that if its any good.

The numberplates were a success, I think you will be pleased with one of the Bedfords I have done,biggrin.gif I will post a pic later. Yes the destination on the National will get changed.

You asked the other day where I imagine Llanbourne to be, and I hope you don't mind but in my ficticous world I have done away with Llandudno and Llandudno Junction and in its place is Llanbourne which acts as a through terminus where trains have a loco change or as with the Cardiff and Crewe trains, the loco runs round.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter

You can't have done away with Llandudno Junction ! ;) Where have I been working for the last 35 years ? I did 3 years with Crosville before crossing the road to do 32 years with BR and it's successors.

The EFE Bristol VR is this one converted to open top in April 1995 and sold in 2002, by which time it was probably in Arriva colours. The Happy Dragon livery dates from about 1989, but the first Bristol VRs to arrive for open top use was in 1990, maybe a bit late for your period. The livery lasted till 1997. They all had different top deck window layouts but the EFE one is correct for the 2 that came in 1990 (VHB677S & VHB678S)

post-1625-12726130414_thumb.jpg

The Leyland National kit, if it's the Tower Models, not a good likeness. A better bet is a EFE model repainted, they do both long and short types with single door.

Merfyn

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

I can't keep up with you updates! Some great pictures though and it is interesting to see the road vehicles as well. Those tips for the Leyland nationals are useful as well - might need to have a go at those myself on some of my buses. Further back your photo of the weather reminded me just now of the Lightning we saw along the Great Ocean Road when we where there back in 2005!

Keep up the great work,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The road vehicles are somthing that I need to get on top of, one of many jobs to do.biggrin.gif

The Great Ocean Road is nice, we head down that way most years and go to Warrnabool when the Southern Right Wales come in to calf. There is a nice railway station to.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter

You can't have done away with Llandudno Junction ! wink.gif Where have I been working for the last 35 years ? I did 3 years with Crosville before crossing the road to do 32 years with BR and it's successors.

The EFE Bristol VR is this one converted to open top in April 1995 and sold in 2002, by which time it was probably in Arriva colours. The Happy Dragon livery dates from about 1989, but the first Bristol VRs to arrive for open top use was in 1990, maybe a bit late for your period. The livery lasted till 1997. They all had different top deck window layouts but the EFE one is correct for the 2 that came in 1990 (VHB677S & VHB678S)

post-1625-12726130414_thumb.jpg

The Leyland National kit, if it's the Tower Models, not a good likeness. A better bet is a EFE model repainted, they do both long and short types with single door.

Merfyn

Hi Merfyn,

Sorry about doing away with Llandudno Jct,biggrin.gif I am sure you would have the same job at Llanbourne but with more money.biggrin.gif

Thanks for the pic and info on the buses it is a nice livery but I will save my money and try and hunt down some EFE Nationals. I can use the transfers from the kit.

Thanks Peter,

I think you have made a wise choice Peter ! You have much better scope for running trains using Llanbourne instead of a proper location !

Now you're getting the best of both worlds ! wink.gif

Cheers,

Graham.

Hi Graham,

I am happy with Llanbourne but if was going to start again I would try and do a proper location. I think it was Jim s w who said its a lot easier just copying a place rather that making it up and trying to get it to look right.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter, thanks so much for hosting a very memorable day, I enjoyed meeting you all very much. And for those who weren't there, Llanbourne is a wonderful world of incredible detail, very thoughtfully and painstakingly put together. Impressed! Looking forward to seeing your new scenic section come together... there's even the odd brick lying around, and some sleepers marked up ready for maintenance.

Doug.

Very enjoyable. Nice to meet Doug too, as well as catching up with Rick plus a few other BRMA friends.

Peter even managed to turn on the good weather for us. wink.gif

• RMweb Premium

Wot they sed!

Thanks for a most enjoyable session and it was great to finally see Llanbourne in the flesh. Photos on a screen simply don't do the detail justice. Cabling, single bricks lying where they fell, point rodding and a veritable forest of semaphores. And things seemed to work when on display in a break from tradition - more than can be said for 66511 at Penhayle Bay when the Blackburn mob dropped in briefly on the way home!

Thanks guys,

Glad you had a good time,biggrin.gif I managed to fix the point blade after you left, only took about twenty minutes so not as bad as I thought.

Here are a few pics, once the point was fixed I ran a few more trains.

Pictures,

1, Numberplates now fitted to the Bedford van.

2,45141 and 47418 wait to leave on Tran-Pennine trains.

3, 47418 was finished during the week, here she is on a working to Bangor.

4, 08695 sits in platform 1 waiting to depart with ECS for the carriage sidings.

5,20023 and 20154 wait to depart to Stanlow with an oil train.

6,20154 and 20023 depart to Stanlow.

7,8, 101 DMU departs on a local working to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-127271572392_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127271598294_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127271627065_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127271652749_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127271672953_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127271734016_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127271765953_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127271785927_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I haven't tried this on the Oxford Diecasts but nail varnish remover or acetone will remove transfers and insignia on EFE and OOC buses and trucks without removing the base coat of paint, so may work as well on the van.