Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

The big day has arrived and Mrs SM42 has come of an age. 

I won't let on but the Romans had a letter for it and it is a golden opportunity to go out for dinner.

My trainspotting trip this morning started badly with just seeing the tail end of trains wherever I went but eventually found one of my regular haunts delivering

Just a taster below

EN57 753 calls at Gadki nr Poznan with a service from Lodz to Poznan

20220412_140855.jpg.3c87e2eee69f8f1193a614f8b7172014.jpg

The car also hit a milestone too

20220412_111820.jpg.68e5d107773b77948621efe2d27627a0.jpg

Still can't believe I had a pass out today of all days

Andy

Washed and scrubbed and waiting for the taxi 

Edited by SM42
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm not bothered by the adverts after getting an adblocker.

I still get some.  The ad blocker slows all sites to some extent, some barely noticeable and others by several seconds or more.  And of course I get adverts all the time on the phone which is not fitted with an ad blocker and is the main point of access to this illustrious establishment.  

Some of the ads I see are definitely NSFW-related and I have no idea why they should be linked with this site nor my browsing history.  I also see adverts for feminine products which again should not match any algorithm associated with my account.  

But hey, Andy has to pay the bills and they're probably a bit bigger after the re-host.  

• Friendly/supportive 7

31 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm not bothered by the adverts after getting an adblocker.

Today saw the restart of the monthly pilgrimages to the BRMC at Llandrinio.

I'm now back, fed (by various cake), watered (tea) and filled with enthusiasm for model railways once more.

I gave the Class 14 a run out, and impressed everyone with my Ixion Fowler which, with a full charge of it's stay alive unit, was lifted off the track and proceeded to drive down about 3 foot along a 6  table before the capacitor cut out.

During the return trip I had been tasked with collecting some sausages for this evenings meal, so I dropped into Tesco.  Lo and behold, Penderyn, at a Clubcard discount of £11.00 off a bottle.

Of course, when I got in I was castigated for not getting milk or a bottle of Port.

My argument that it wasn't on the list was not appreciated.

I did think you were going to say there that you'd forgotten the sausages but even though I know you like to live dangerously I didn't think that it was that dangerous.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, AndyID said:

You may laugh but like the Tardis it's actually ten times larger inside.

Does it make a screeching noise like an elephant sliding down a saw and then disappear into another dimension?

Edited by PhilJ W
Fat finger syndrome
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Northroader said:

a thing called Connectix, supposed to give you a warm, wet, feeling while you watch your screen.

Is it publicity for holidays in Frinton?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Some of the ads I see are definitely NSFW-related

Before I took out the Gold subscription what I did find irritating was the ad choices option. I really wasn’t bothered by most of the adverts but I did try Google ads “report” or “ see less of”  or whatever the option was. I didn’t want ads for politicians seeking election or addictive substances. It didn’t look good. If I had promoted such things on RMWeb I would have been not abiding by the forum rules. Using the Google Ad choices had no effect at all.  I am not one of those people who think that all internet content should be free so I don’t mind paying what is similar to a magazine subscription for all the stuff on RMWeb. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Pre-empting the domestic authority in the veg prep zone was a resounding success.  I am now being left to my own devices for a while.

I did call into Dapol this morning, and although there were a few bargains, non of them were of the correct period for my railway exploits.

It was interesting to find out that there seems to be a 3-6 month delay on most of the upcoming releases, although the Class 66 and the TTA tank wagon will probably surface in 2023.

This delay does mean that my wallet will get a bit of a breather.

Whilst at Llandrinio I did manage to have a chat with Derek Mundy about the finer points of signal building.  Not only was he able to resolve my query, but by delved into his photo archive (thankfully now on his iPad), produced a couple of pictures to amplify the part in question.

For those that venture along the A5 to Oswestry and beyond, the new roundabout system at the junction of the A5/A483 is a big improvement and speeds up the traffic considerably, which is quite unusual for a 'road/ traffic management improvement'.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It has been announced that I am expected at the dentist tomorrow at 1430hrs. ( tooth hurty😆)

I apparently have the morning to myself whilst Mrs SM42 is having her hair done. 

This free morning, as it was called, is also expected to involve pushing a vacuum cleaner around 🤔

Any train watching will have to occur at a level crossing about 10 minutes drive away. 

There is a nice parking spot right by the crossing, fortunately, so  I can sit in the car and wait rather than stand around.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Just watching the Legia Warszawa vs Dynamo Kiev fund raiser football match

They have put up the number to make a donation to and I'm pretty certain the commentator said it was the Ukrainian ambassador's bank account number 😲

If it was, it's an interesting way to make a donation.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon all,

Ive been away for a while, but I’ve got some interesting news. ...snip...

thats it for now, I hope to begin posting more frequently again but life has been very busy lately with all this going on.

Douglas

Hmmm, I was getting a little concerned having not read anything from you in a few days. Do not forget, you have many shoulders here to lean on.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add a missing word
  • Like 5
  • Agree 8

Oh calamity! My garage-door opener conked out. I assumed it was the battery (a nine-volter, which gives you some idea how old the opener really is) but it still didn't work after I replaced it. So, like all good TNM members would, I took the stoopid thing apart.

And behold, the PCB mounted button-switch was not closing! (Ridiculous considering it's not much more than 20 years old.)

I have sent for a replacement button switch. The only problem is I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with the other 124.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

His workshop as enormous, and roughly 6,000 lbs of watchmaking equipment got shipped to Kansas City after he died. The uplifting part is, Mr. Robertson has invited me to go through all this and pick out whatever it is I want.....

Ooh, Ooh, can Bear come too?  I'll bring cake.....

7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Unfortunately my case of the doom has not lifted and only gotten worse. However, we are on the hunt for a therapist, so things are kind of looking up. 

SBT's young Florence;  Bear has a wonderful Therapist I can recommend - he goes by the name of a Mr. Kipling.  Puts a smile on this Bear's mush - and his professional fees are much, much cheaper than all those with fancy letters after their name.  Not sure if he practices Stateside or not though.

31 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I have sent for a replacement button switch. The only problem is I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with the other 124.

Build a layout around the switches?

Edited by polybear
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

. The only problem is I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with the other 124.

Put them in stock and you'll be OK for spares  till 4502 at the current rate of failure 

You can never have too many spares. Bit like panniers really 😃

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a cloudy Charente.  I was planning to ask if anyone had any news of Douglas as he seemed to be missi g in action. Then lo and behold I open up the forum and there is news from Tulsa.  I hope that you have a great trip Douglas and that in thecprocess the black dog heads towards it's kennel.  Hereca golden dog, a retriever calledcTeddy has taken up residence with us forva week whilst his mistress heads off to the UK.  I have already been appointed chief walker.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

A few months back I became acquainted via Instagram with a guy in Kansas City named William M. Robertson, who is what’s called a miniaturist. He also collects antique machinery and works as a consultant with the Smithsonian and Henry Ford, and I think I’m right in saying The Science Museum in London. Long story short, he noticed my work on Project Brunel and he became quite impressed with what I was doing. Then one of his friends died who was a professional horologist, and used to work for DARPA. His workshop as enormous, and roughly 6,000 lbs of watchmaking equipment got shipped to Kansas City after he died. The uplifting part is, Mr. Robertson has invited me to go through all this and pick out whatever it is I want, along with getting a private tour of some museums and a Rather Special library in KC! 

Here’s a link to Mr. Robertson’s website, showing his work.    https://www.robertsonminiatures.com

Douglas - I can see why you are so excited to go and meet Mr Robertson - that is a most impressive website and I just couldn't believe some of the work he has done - it looks to be full size and then he shows you another photo of him holding the item which is so small - unless he has very large hands !!

Enjoy your visit and please report back

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for responses, I think it will be a very interesting trip too. The most interesting bit which I forgot to mention that Bill (that’s his name) owns Cartier’s Rose Engine lathe, (along with many other amazing things) as in the original Mr Cartier. And it is looking highly likely we will be turning highly ornate fake hardwood cylinders for Brunel on it! I think this will be the first engine to say it has rose engine turned cylinders on a Cartier lathe. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 13
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

This morning I went to Enginuity in the Ironbridge Gorge museum complex.

I suppose one would describe it as an engineering based mueum for children with an emphasis of 'hands on'.

Although the grandchildern had fun, I came away with the impression of a lot of the exhibits could have done with information plates explaining what did what and how it did it, rather than having a bit lump of metalwork and a notice that states what it is.

Once such noticeable steam engine was one which had powered a water pump at  the Royal residence at Sandringham.  The eagle eyed would have noticed that the largest gear wheel that was the final drive to the pump had replaceable wooden teeth.  So that local craftsmen could replace them with  individual oak replacements rather than send the whole wheel away for replacement.

A very large pillar drill was close to the entrance with no info whatsoever.  Surely a descriptor of what lever/wheel did what would be mildly educational?

There were many more examples.

It's just all so dumbed down nearly to the level of being pointless.

Yes I appreciate it is for children, but even so, a little bit more info for parents would be useful.

I ended up explaining to another family what the 'two balls' were for, and how they automatically governed steam flow in a stationary engine.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

I've not been to Enginuity @Happy Hippobut a lot of places can be like this (Jodrell Bank was, although I last visited about 30 years ago).  It seems to result from museums increasingly being led by "mee-jah" types who think STEM subjects are boring and are terrified of boring the general public, because they assume everyone else has the same gnat-like attention span as they have. 

The skilled presenter can explain any complex subject using 3 levels of detail: (1) for children (and media studies students), (2) for curious older children and adults who might have some basic understanding of science, and (3) detailed explanation for those with a technical education or experience.  Level 3 can also provide links to further information, for serious researchers, using techniques such as QR codes to bring it up on your phone.  So it can be done, but it requires the museum to have a passion to educate about their subject, instead of being (apparently) embarrassed by it.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I've not been to Enginuity @Happy Hippobut a lot of places can be like this (Jodrell Bank was, although I last visited about 30 years ago).  It seems to result from museums increasingly being led by "mee-jah" types who think STEM subjects are boring and are terrified of boring the general public, because they assume everyone else has the same gnat-like attention span as they have. 

The last time Bear visited the Science Museum in London (I guess around 4 years ago) I could've cried - the place was world's apart from what it was in 1992 - and not for the better either.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11