RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

In a Banana Republic, the elected politicians are replaced in a coup by the military, who promise elections, which for very unfortunate administrative reasons never quite seem to happen.

In Britain, the elected politicians - who studied PPE at Oxford University - are replaced in a parliamentary coup by another group from their own party, who also studied PPE at Oxford University.  After a few weeks or months, the ousted politicians form a group that enable another parliamentary coup and form a new government of people who mostly studied PPE at Oxford University.

Eventually, when the law prevents the governing party from hanging on to power any longer, we have a general election and they are replaced by a new government, formed of members of a different party, most of whom studied PPE at Oxford University.

Just what's so interesting about all this Personal Protective Equipment they're all studying?

Askin' for a friend....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

Ian, as you are on-line, any news on Sherry?

I'm completing a set of charity accounts, then dressing in PPE for this evenings fun and games.  Probably old boys spending 12 hours propped against the Royal British Legion bar, staggering into the fresh air and ...clonk.  Bill

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Decoderisator has arrived, now to install it into the Ducket Peckett then try to make a decision as to what livery it is to carry.

I have just preordered (due very soon) a Hunslet. Livery is already quite pretty so no need to change.  I hope I have a decoder that fits. I have some with the correct number of pins but may be too chunky. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Tony_S said:

I have just preordered (due very soon) a Hunslet. Livery is already quite pretty so no need to change.  I hope I have a decoder that fits. I have some with the correct number of pins but may be too chunky. 

Which Hunslet, the large Penrhyn variety?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Which Hunslet, the large Penrhyn variety?

The little one, Britomart to be exact, I will order one of the Penrhyn versions nearer the time of their release.  After waiting years for my Fell (to be fair it was as predicted) I now wait for an “arriving next week”. At least, unlike Peco’s recent Prince, the Bachmann offerings are DCC ready. 
I have got a model of the Penrhyn Hunslet in its Ffestiniog 2 4 0 form already that I made from a kit a long long time ago. It is so old it actually has an Ibertren Cuckoo chassis which are not easily found nowadays despite loads of kits still specifying them!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Depends as to whether the profits are consumed by the staff.

Or their friends! One summer when she was a student, Aditi worked in a cake shop. All the fresh cream cakes were significantly reduced at about 4.30. A lot of her friends arrived around then. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Or their friends! One summer when she was a student, Aditi worked in a cake shop. All the fresh cream cakes were significantly reduced at about 4.30. A lot of her friends arrived around then. 

A few years ago the local M&S used to mark down the cakes about half an hour before the store closed. There was more often a queue forming up to half an hour before the prices were reduced. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Has everyone else's links in "Content I Posted In" and "Content I Started" disappeared during the maintenance outage today?

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

TNM didn't show up! Took me some time to find it.

I found it on 'Content I follow' together with some other threads.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The outing with HH yesterday evening was most enjoyable despite his thinly disguised attempt to brainwash me by arranging that on our arrival we would be met by the sight of a train headed by a pannier tank running on 32mm track. Fortunately my resolve was up to the task and by persuading the host to run his Gauge 1 live steamer I distracted HH from his nefarious scheme and all was well.

Dave 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Nice to see the good guys winning for once.

Thanks dave

I suspect 'enforcement' will be the next step.

One of the companies that featured in the t.v. programme "Can't pay, we'll take it away" has an office a mile or two away, literally in our road........ 

Experience suggests, you owe £1,000, they take property valued at 3 or 4 times that amount, to cover their costs.

Watch this space.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, br2975 said:

The civil justice aka County Court system is a minefield to the lay person, and appears totally confusing and not geared to 'the man in the street', with poorly trained and sometimes obstructive minions..... .

Is there any part of the legal system in this country that isn't so?

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Out walking Shona the Wonder Scottie this morning we saw a plane flying down the lake. It looked and sounded a lot different from the usual aircraft we see.

That's because it was a B25 (the type used in the '42 Tokyo Raid) on a commemorative Armistice/Veterans Day flight. Unfortunately I did not have my camera.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Only another 80+ feet to go 😀

DSCN5757.JPG.5f4a1526ce81b6e50acdd2432ae8a966.JPG

The steel tubes are all hollow which is just as well or I'd never be able to pick the thing up, but it's quite strong. If I support the ends and put my full weight on the middle it does not bend. (Mind you, at around 176 pounds I'm a relative light-weight.)

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 13

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Lovely runner though, totally silent.

Neil - you need Paul Martin at EDM Models of York. He developed the Minerva Peckett sounds with Paul Chetter and is the authorised installer of this sound system - or he sells a DIY kit.

https://ngtrains.com/shop/product/minerva-peckett-dcc-kits-installs-and-decoders/

As the original loco worked in Swansea Docks, one of the functions includes the sounds of seagulls . . . . . . . . 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2