Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am not a great fan of flying around in a metal tube since the German Wings incident.

I was airborne at the time returning from Italy.

The cabin crew were the first indicator with a distinct change in their demeanour:  They became very subdued.

Then people started getting text messages or emails about what had happened, and the remainder of the flight was very, very quiet.

Why I should suddenly start disliking a mode of transport I previously enjoyed, I have no idea.

No doubt, a deeply ingrained psychological switch has been tripped.

I think that happens in any industry when fellow workers are lost in the workplace, especially those where safety is consciously at the forefront of everything.

I remember the day one of our signalman passed away at work  

Even the trains seemed to make less noise that day and there was very sombre mood amongst the staff of all departments. 

I think it makes people contemplate how vulnerable they are.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I have come to the conclusion that those who design vacuum cleaners never actually use them 

In hard floor mode it acts like a broom pushing all the dirt into a neat line, rather than actually removing it from  the floor. 

In carpet mode it deposits all the fluff trapped in the brush from the hard floor onto the carpet and then needs at least 8 passes to get it up again, if you can actually get it to glide smoothly across the carpet. 

Then of course the sections of the pipe and hose pull themselves apart

Uprights are no better, pinging dust and dirt off into the distance rather than sucking it up. 

The crevice tool is about the only useful item and is much better on all surfaces but it takes a ridiculous amount of time to cover a room just using that  

Andy

Who's had enough of vacuuming and he's only just started 

I find using a crevice tool very uncomfortable.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Why I should suddenly start disliking a mode of transport I previously enjoyed, I have no idea.

When we were wandering around in Nice, I was amazed at all the long distance buses there heading off to or coming from what seemed like everywhere else in Europe. From Bordeaux you would probably have to change in Marseilles though. My son had many amusing stories about bus depots at night. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The mission creep I suspected has happened.

Although tickets for the Wales v Fiji game have not yet been secured, I was informed this morning that a Flight into Bordeaux and suitable accommodation was booked in the early hours of the morning!

Apparently, the task of arranging transport from Bordeaux to Nice is being sub contracted to me.

I have been unable to ascertain whether my bus pass is valid or not.

Likewise, if I am not top to toe in Lycra, do I have to cycle around with a string of onions around my neck?

Does France still have a rail network?🤣.

Perfectly good train service but it will take several hours as there isn't a TGV line across.  Off the top of my head, Bordeaux Marseille then change for Nice.   A Eurail pass might be a good investment.  However don't do anything apart from purchase tickets on the SNCF site it's total carp.  Download the SBB app or website to check train times.  There is excellent puvblic transport from Bordeaux airport a direct shuttle bus to the main station.  Shortly a tram line is to open direct from the terminal  rails and overhead all installed.

40 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I find using a crevice tool very uncomfortable.

I suppose it depends on the size of the crevice.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

I heard of someone from the UK going to university in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Her parents asked friends living in Vancouver if they could meet the daughter at the Halifax airport. The reply was that the parents should do it, because they were closer. 

My son spent a year studying in Calgary. Instead of flying home directly he thought he would visit some other places on his way home. So,he started his journey with a flight to Toronto (then lots of journeys ending up in Halifax) . Aditi asked him why he had flown and not travelled overland to Toronto. He said as she had a geography degree, just look at the map!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

For those who knew him or read his posts on RMW, today sees the funeral of Chris Foren, or Chrisf. RIP Chris.

Being in Torquay, rather than Froggy France, I did wonder whether I might have attended, but Torquay to Bedford for an 11.00 funeral takes some doing by train - especially this week when the Berks & Hants is disrupted by ginger-beer's works. He deserved a decent turnout. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

I had forgotten about the GermanWings incident but I have flown since and they don’t seem to allow a pilot to be alone at the controls anymore. If one of the crew goes to the loo, another crew member goes in to the cockpit. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

I am coming to the conclusion that since the Whu flu that people have become extremely lazy and they are quite happy to have other people do things for them. This includes thinking amongst other things.

I will freely admit that this was present prior to the 'interruptis' but it definitely seems to have spread and flourished since.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The mission creep I suspected has happened.

Although tickets for the Wales v Fiji game have not yet been secured, I was informed this morning that a Flight into Bordeaux and suitable accommodation was booked in the early hours of the morning!

Apparently, the task of arranging transport from Bordeaux to Nice is being sub contracted to me.

I have been unable to ascertain whether my bus pass is valid or not.

Likewise, if I am not top to toe in Lycra, do I have to cycle around with a string of onions around my neck?

Does France still have a rail network?🤣.

I spent two or three weeks in France last summer and, in all that time, I think I only saw one chap wearing a beret.  I've not seen a Johnny onion man for years.  Is that a sign of progress/falling standards (which are usually the same in many walks of life)?

Edited by Adam88
grammar!
  • Like 6