Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have taken the decision to put it to the back of the cupboard:  Probably until the 6 Nations prior to the next RWC in 2027.  By which time time we may have got our act together once more.

Well I must be the only Welshman in Welsh Wales who does n t give a flying f@@k for any sport 😀

I do enjoy the Welsh Magic Falling Down Water and therefore see no reason to limit myself to sporting occasions when partaking of it though I have given it up for Lent.

I wonder what the views of Gimli are on this matter 😒

Dave

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Bit of a hiatus in attending TNM of late caused by events of Friday. There we were at our friend’s wedding breakfast in Twickenham when Jill turned a ghastly shade of grey, slumped forwards then collapsed and passed out. There followed a sequence that roughly speaking consisted of 999, paramedics, blue light transport to West Middlesex hospital, wiring for sound, tests for everything short of ingrown toenails, monitoring in the same fashion and much coming and going of medical persons various. During all this Jill was gradually recovering and by about 11.30 pm was declared not to be in immediate danger and free to go, although she needs to contact our GP for follow up attention to something found on an ECG called a first degree heart block. We got a taxi back to our hotel then yesterday gave another friend a lift back home to and at the moment are at her house in Rutland but will be going home tomorrow. All great fun - not!

Bye for now.

Dave

VVSBT's to Mrs Wg. Cdr for a speedy recovery; Bear prescribes Cake.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

32 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

I wonder what the views of Gimli are on this matter

He certainly won't reply unless you give him his patrilineage (son of Gloin, etc. etc, back for 7 generations). Wait, maybe there's a cause and effect here ...

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

caused by events of Friday.

Those sort of events are rather scary to observe. I hope Jill is much better and your GP can arrange all the appropriate follow up. 

• Agree 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Former Neighbour (Upstairs) is Welsh.  We are still in touch despite her abrupt departure several years ago having failed her second year at uni.  

I messaged her yesterday after a certain sporting event to see how she was.  She replied advising that she had been rushed into hospital!!! 

Nothing to do with the poor performance of her beloved Welsh rugby team though.  "Just" a severe asthma attack which will require her to stay in the high-dependancy unit for a few days.  

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:
Dave Hunt said:

Bit of a hiatus in attending TNM of late caused by events of Friday. There we were at our friend’s wedding breakfast in Twickenham when Jill turned a ghastly shade of grey, slumped forwards then collapsed and passed out. There followed a sequence that roughly speaking consisted of 999, paramedics, blue light transport to West Middlesex hospital, wiring for sound, tests for everything short of ingrown toenails, monitoring in the same fashion and much coming and going of medical persons various. During all this Jill was gradually recovering and by about 11.30 pm was declared not to be in immediate danger and free to go, although she needs to contact our GP for follow up attention to something found on an ECG called a first degree heart block. We got a taxi back to our hotel then yesterday gave another friend a lift back home to and at the moment are at her house in Rutland but will be going home tomorrow. All great fun - not!

That is not the sort of thing we like our visitors hereabouts to experience.  Very best wishes to all concerned. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Danemouth said:

Well I must be the only Welshman in Welsh Wales who does n t give a flying f@@k for any sport 😀

I do enjoy the Welsh Magic Falling Down Water and therefore see no reason to limit myself to sporting occasions when partaking of it though I have given it up for Lent.

I wonder what the views of Gimli are on this matter 😒

Dave

Now then.....( lights blue touch paper and stands back.....) the Welsh do not make good whisky, says the Welshman. 

The good stuff is most definitely Scottish, primarily from the Isles...........

Tin hat on, retiring with alacrity.

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Now then.....( lights blue touch paper and stands back.....) the Welsh do not make good whisky, says the Welshman. 

They certainly do not make good whisky.

They make excellent whisky...

I'm not sure about the stuff called Aber Falls.

That would make a good title for a Welsh action/drama movie.

However the Llandaff Taffia would probably insist on it being called Aber yn Cwympo.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

The good stuff is most definitely Scottish, primarily from the Isles...........

I will have you know Sir that if you had made that remark to me a couple of centuries ago my seconds would be calling on you to arrange a dawn meeting on Greenway Road Playing Fields  One of the seconds would be a large Pachyderm and the other a fan of Cardiff City (their only fan?) known to us both. 😀😀😀

Cheers,

Dave

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

I will have you know Sir that if you had made that remark to me a couple of centuries ago my seconds would be calling on you to arrange a dawn meeting on Greenway Road Playing Fields  One of the seconds would be a large Pachyderm and the other a fan of Cardiff City (their only fan?) known to us both. 😀😀😀

Cheers,

Dave

As the sun rose, with Dave stood there on the dew flecked lawn, flanked by his faithful supporters, a faint clattering of hooves could be heard, retreating at a pace more associated with Insane Stoat, the famous Jamaican Mustela.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

Cheers,

Dave

post-14122-0-02211500-1535912903.jpg.c460bcfa14cbef788686cb18526507ad.jpg

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, polybear said:

...snip... Any suggestions? ...snip...

Yes, stay home and spend all of that time in the model rr shed catching up on a lot of misspent time doing other, well, useless stuff. 😉

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Can anyone explain to me why the Welsh rugby team insisted on kicking high balls that either went far too long to be of a tactical advantage, or kicking them directly to the English No 15 who is probably the best in the world? And don't get me started on the totally inadequate front five.

I am just grateful that Farrell decided not to bother kicking goals otherwise the winning score would have been a lot higher

When I was In the sixth form with a lot of keen Welsh rugby supporters, there was a match between Wales and( IIRC) the All Blacks at Stradey Park.  I watched baffled as they tried the kick-it-high-and-into-touch game for 80 minutes, despite it being obvious after about 10 minutes that the typical for the time of year, blustery wind and driving rain, wasn't playing ball.  Not one kick landed within 20 yards of where they wanted and Wales were given a demonstration in how to play to the conditions by the Kiwis.

I mentioned this to my (disappointed) mate on the Monday and he told me that I didn't know much about rugby (probably not because I didn't play rugby but because I'm English).  No doubt I didn't make myself any more popular by pointing out that that while they were probably right, I clearly understood weather better than the WRU.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Bye for now.

Dave

Sorry to hear that Dave, give Jill my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

We are back from the motherland and best wishes @Dave Hunt to Jill from all at SM42 Towers 

923 miles in 15hrs 49 mins. Second fastest time west bound.

We managed to get onto a train 2 hours earlier than our booked and on driving onto the loading area I just followed the green arrows and ended up on a crossing  half an hour earlier than the one we were given. 

@polybear I could suggest Poznan, (but I'm biased)

Things to do include .

The tank museum, commonwealth war graves of the great escapees, another museum nearby with various artefact and old war birds slowly rusting. 

A day trip to Wolsztyn ( one hour each way by train and about £14 return. 

Sitting outside a bar in the old square watching the world go by ( not this year though. Still a building site till autumn.) A task best suited to a summer's day. The views are better and it's warmer

Visiting the Rogale museum where the making of the local delicacy of the St Martins Croissant is demonstrated.

V tasty.

I have one for breakfast tomorrow 

Visit to Lech brewery

The cathedral and nearby museum of Poznan's history.

Then there are cake shops. 

And If you get the chance watch some trains or buy  a 24 hours tram ticket and see where the trams take you.

Should keep you going for near enough a week. 

Finally it's about half an hour by bus from the airport to main railway station on the edge of the city centre 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Today's drive was excellent unitl we got this side of the channel. 

The variable speed limits were all over the place. 

A lit limit on a gzntry loomed ahead so I eased off and needed just a slight dab of the brake   to get me down the last couple of mph to 60. 

This gantry had a camera and it went off at least twice as I approached and I saw at least 5  flashes in the mirror. Seems some can't predict that a lit gantry means slow down as there is something less than NSL  showing. 

Worse still the next 3 gantries showed NSL  and then we passed the burnt out car being recovered. 

Several other occasions  of a 60 followed by NSL  for no reason happened and at the M25/ M4 junction  we had from left to right 40 blank 40 blank 40 blank 40. 

No wonder people get confused. 

Of course we then had the usual wombles who insisted on turning a 4 lane motorway into a two lane one by bumbling along in lane 3 at 65mph with nothing to their left. 

I was quite relaxed leaving the tunnel. Even saw my first new style Eurostar set. 

I think my blood pressure was at danger levels before Ashford. 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

After yesterday's exploits at putting the floor boards back in the roof and getting the permanent socket fitted for the bathroom shower socket installed and tested, today was spent doing other odd jobs around the garden.

Bird boxes were serviced for the coming season, and the Ivy around the oak tree was trimmed back down to ground level.

Stuff migrated to the summerhouse from the garage, allegedly a temporary arrangement, but now it's up there....

I shifted the one of the compost tubs and dug out the soil underneath to recapture as many of the Tiger worms as I could.

I also had a small bonfire to get rid of a load of twigs and dried leaves.

Between all this during various trips to the garage, I managed to line up a row of 7 mm scale 16 ton mineral wagons on the workbench!

Then a few logs were lobbed onto the fire and we were able to sit down  on the garden bench enjoying the last of the sunshine with a glass of wine and a glass of Guinness.

A bag of cheese and onion crisps was cruelly put to death during this display of decadence

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 3

Busy week ahead for me

Sparky is expected tomorrow, but before he arrives I need to source a socket face to match the others in the kitchen. 

After he has done his thing, I need to order some engineering bricks, a bag of ballast and some sand for work to start on the new  garden wall by our man who does.

I'll need to move the ballast from drive to rear garden before more visitors arrive Saturday and need  somewhere to park. 

Tuesday will see me trying to blast some tar ashtrays from the sky with buckshot. I've nor been out for 16 months so I need to get my eye in  again.

Tuesday afternoon will be spent sorting out the house ready for the next painting job

Wednesday  is a day of catching up with other stuff and tidying ready for our visitors at the weekend. 

Thursday and Friday will be wasted by  going to work.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

by bumbling along in lane 3 at 65mph

You were lucky. Heading home from Enfield on weekend evenings the lane 3 (of 4) bumble at a lot less than 65. All I can think is that they are preparing for the Dartford Crossing a few junctions early.  Another irritation though is when you overtake the slow person they start racing!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

You were lucky. Heading home from Enfield on weekend evenings the lane 3 (of 4) bumble at a lot less than 65. All I can think is that they are preparing for the Dartford Crossing a few junctions early.  Another irritation though is when you overtake the slow person they start racing!

I found that if you pull out to lane 4 to overtake then that lane sliws down to 50.

🙄

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1