Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Wouldn't the British Standard pound (or thump) be what you got for trying the experiment?

Deb certainly wanted to thump the compère of a celebratory opening of "Potter's Bar" at KX when he suggested, as she walked away from the dais, that "You don't get many of those to the bucketful!". She was there representing Travellers Fare, no doubt, so the thump would have been unfortunate if well-deserved. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Access denied, it says. Never did understand what this sort of facility was about. One opened in Cranbrook shortly before we left, with large banners proclaiming "Memberships Available!". Err, hang on, this has been paid for out of the rates, and of course I expect to pay for each visit - but why a "Membership"? Never went near the place, of course. 

They do that to appeal to those who are particularly attracted to joining things that other people are excluded from.  Search "British Golf and Tennis Clubs" for an explanation. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You can off people you know.

At least he's showing loyalty  to the Union Pacific.  One of the Harrimans had the resort built and they ran special trains to the nearest station.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You can off people you know.

That’s a very aggressive response! (I presume there’s a word missing there - at least, I hope there is 😉.)

• Agree 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

They do that to appeal to those who are particularly attracted to joining things that other people are excluded from.  Search "British Golf and Tennis Clubs" for an explanation. 

I suppose I get my equivalent kicks by travelling free in first class everywhere in the UK.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2023 at 21:27, polybear said:

Perhaps if @Dave Hunt were to over-fly at 100ft then immediately perform a climbing four-point roll on full reheat might suitable announce his arrival?

Sorry to come back to this PB, but on reconsideration, having arrived at 100 feet and then done a climbing roll on full reheat, the illustrious DH would actually be announcing his departure from the area.  Punching up through the approach to Heathrow's 27L and 27R might give some sleepy Airbus drivers damp trousers on final approach.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sorry to come back to this PB, but on reconsideration, having arrived at 100 feet and then done a climbing roll on full reheat, the illustrious DH would actually be announcing his departure from the area.  Punching up through the approach to Heathrow's 27L and 27R might give some sleepy Airbus drivers damp trousers on final approach.

That reminds me of a tale my brother told me when he was on 747's.  One year when the Reforger excercise was on in Germany several BA jumbos were used to fly troops out of Heathrow. One of John's mates did it and was quite surprised when taking off from Heathrow to be told by Heathrow tower, climb to flight level 3 on xxx degrees and contact IIRC Ramstein approach for instructipns.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Do you have a solid gold Bullied pacific badge you can flash at the ticket grumpies?

No, mine is only a silver credit-card sized pass. In olden days senior people did indeed receive a medallion for that purpose. One such, long retired, passed away, and his grieving spouse sent in his railway items including his gold medallion. Gold? He wasn't entitled to gold, only silver! He'd had it dipped! I think gold gave access to free sleeper berths and probably something at BT Hotels. 

Then there is the story about the ticket collector, somewhere not very mainline, who, on being shown a medallion said "I don't want to see that - where's your ******* ticket? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

the illustrious DH would actually be announcing his departure from the area.  Punching up through the approach to Heathrow's 27L and 27R might give some sleepy Airbus drivers damp trousers on final approach.

image.jpeg.51e30d29635e98d209ae99d83da60b2b.jpeg
Certainly would!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

That might not be a bad thing. At least it'd give the BBC something different to chunter about.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I am taking a break from the permanent fitting of an electrical socket in the roof.

Nothing spectacular just shortening an existing spur which means I can then plug the shower pump into there instead of having it run off an extension cable to the socket which was previously on the other side of the loft space.

Of course to re route the cable means lifting and the replacing the floorboards, and my knees are beginning to complain.

I think it's probably time I invested in some knee pads.

As you'll all appreciate, 5 minutes to fix the new socket  and wire it in and then test it.  

Half an afternoon to sort out the floor boards😂.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am taking a break from the permanent fitting of an electrical socket in the roof.

Nothing spectacular just shortening an existing spur which means I can then plug the shower pump into there instead of having it run off an extension cable to the socket which was previously on the other side of the loft space.

Of course to re route the cable means lifting and the replacing the floorboards, and my knees are beginning to complain.

As you'll all appreciate, 5 minutes to fix the new socket  and wire it in and then test it.  

Been there done that and as the saying goes even got the t-shirt and the kiss me quick hat.

I've tried quite a few knee pads and if I'm really honest none of them worked 100%. The problem wasn't necessary to do with the pad itself, whether they be gel, foam or cloth, but rather keeping them in place.

No matter how tight they were they always slipped down. I tried different types of straps even a 'bandage' but nothing worked.

In the end I gave up and settled for a combination of kneeling mats- plastic bag stuffed with rags any one, and trousers with foam knee inserts 

Whilst not ideal as you can 'forget' to move the mat and you do tend to end up with soggy knees it does at least stop them from protesting.

Anyway good luck with your postural exploits.

Yours the soggy knees and no shedder.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Polish protest against the invasion of Ukraine.

Mrs SM42 wondered why not at 4am. 

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Hence the old saying that one job begats another. 

I normally find it takes 2 hours of prep, 10 minutes to do the job and 1 to 3 weeks to sort out the mess. 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Hence the old saying that one job begats another. 

I normally find it takes 2 hours of prep, 10 minutes to do the job and 1 to 3 weeks to sort out the mess. 

Andy

Time difference. It was 4 am on Moscow?

Ar nothing like a bit of preparation to stop you doing the job.

Like doing the measurements, transfering them onto the timber, setting up the table saw an hour too two hours, for 15 minutes of cutting and then another half an hour dismantling it all so that the car will fit in the garage again.

Where did the afternoon go again.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Been there done that and as the saying goes even got the t-shirt and the kiss me quick hat.

I've tried quite a few knee pads and if I'm really honest none of them worked 100%. The problem wasn't necessary to do with the pad itself, whether they be gel, foam or cloth, but rather keeping them in place.

No matter how tight they were they always slipped down. I tried different types of straps even a 'bandage' but nothing worked.

In the end I gave up and settled for a combination of kneeling mats- plastic bag stuffed with rags any one, and trousers with foam knee inserts 

Whilst not ideal as you can 'forget' to move the mat and you do tend to end up with soggy knees it does at least stop them from protesting.

Anyway good luck with your postural exploits.

Yours the soggy knees and no shedder.

Discovering the joys of kneeling on carpet gripper rod opens up a whole new world of descriptive words.....

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Bear thought the same - perhaps there are local regulations (or locals) to consider as well.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

11 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear thought the same - perhaps there are local regulations (or locals) to consider as well.

The locals were probably well aware of what was going to happen.

Andy

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Time difference. It was 4 am on Moscow?

Ar nothing like a bit of preparation to stop you doing the job.

Like doing the measurements, transfering them onto the timber, setting up the table saw an hour too two hours, for 15 minutes of cutting and then another half an hour dismantling it all so that the car will fit in the garage again.

Where did the afternoon go again.

That's why you need that shed.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1