Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, DenysW said:

But as long as it's the correct bus (livery, make, model, route number, destination, scale) it'll be fine. Otherwise, prepare to have its rivets counted.

6c953881d94b416f8f11661b3d42640c.jpg.1cdf8f5d3dc86feded5030dfd24bc115.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Two words for you. Sauce and mint.

Right, that's it ! 

Battle-Sheep.jpg.af3027bbf9206a262d2af253eaf790ff.jpg

• Funny 9

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Right, that's it ! 

Battle-Sheep.jpg.af3027bbf9206a262d2af253eaf790ff.jpg

Don't know what your getting all agitated about. It's not like I said mint sauce or anything.

All I said was two words which happened to be sauce and mint.

I don't know the younger generation now a days. I suppose next you'll be no platforming me.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't know what your getting all agitated about. It's not like I said mint sauce or anything.

All I said was two words which happened to be sauce and mint.

I don't know the younger generation now a days. I suppose next you'll be no platforming me.

But has he got his wellies with him.

Jamie

• Funny 7

Lots of jobs day tomorrow. 

First up take Mrs SM42 to work so I can use her car all day. 

The West wing needs clearing so I can finish off the painting. 

A tip run is required and various holes in walls need filling where the now redundant heating controls were. 

Bricks need sorting into handy piles for my man who does to carry on with the wall in the garden ( weather permtting) and there are numerous other small acts of bureaucracy required. 

Then at 3.30 I have to pick up Mrs SM42 from work and go shopping for cake ( yeah right) and other privions

If I get 50% done, I'll be happy

Andy

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Lots of jobs day tomorrow. 

First up take Mrs SM42 to work so I can use her car all day. 

The West wing needs clearing so I can finish off the painting. 

A tip run is required and various holes in walls need filling where the now redundant heating controls were. 

Bricks need sorting into handy piles for my man who does to carry on with the wall in the garden ( weather permtting) and there are numerous other small acts of bureaucracy required. 

Then at 3.30 I have to pick up Mrs SM42 from work and go shopping for cake ( yeah right) and other privions

If I get 50% done, I'll be happy

Andy

So that's dropping the missus off and cake sorted then.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

9 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

So that's dropping the missus off and cake sorted then.

Not sure about the cake part. 

She rules with a rod iron does Mrs SM42. 

Known to put her foot down with a firm hand when it comes to treats. 

This is why I like the motherland.

Her dad has different ideas on the finer things in life and she is outranked. 

Andy

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

A question for those who spend a lot of time in France.

We spent a week in Paris several decades ago. We watched the weather on TV and one night they had what looked like salt and pepper shakers on the map.  Any idea what they meant? (It's no longer urgent.)

I had an echo-cardiogram many decades ago.  I have prolapsed mitral valve. The doctor wasn't worried -- they couldn't even have detected it 10 years before. The only consequence is that I have to take a big dose of penicillin before I go to the dentist.  That dose has been reduced very much over the years.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PMP said:

It’ll be on that layout with the wedding on one side of the church, funeral on the other, and stuck in a traffic jam behind a bus on a bridge due to the plane and car crash blocking the road.

Sounds like you have decided  on a plan for Shelfie 5!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I had an echo-cardiogram many decades ago.  I have prolapsed mitral valve. The doctor wasn't worried -- they couldn't even have detected it 10 years before. The only consequence is that I have to take a big dose of penicillin before I go to the dentist.  That dose has been reduced very much over the years.

My cardiologist arranges an annual ECG and echocardiogram since I was first treated by him three years ago. Due to my mitral valve leaking increasingly, I had open heart surgery to repair it on Hallowe’en last year. 

In January, I attended my dental practice for a hygienist appointment to be told that no work could be carried out by her until a year after my operation due to the potential risk of infection affecting the valve. Routine dental  work is considered safe so I was given emergency treatment in December by a young man with whom I’d appeared on stage last summer in ‘Allo, ‘Allo.

But that’s another story……! 39180132-BD03-4D33-A319-6B4309EB72A8.jpeg.e734e1a3acbcc1c94885e44d1e0100df.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I did wonder if it was 'petits crachins'  - that sort of very light rain with fine but penetrating drops. 

Ah yes ! Celebrated by the baking of a Le Mans  Drizzle Cake. 

Rob. 

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Since Nyda is away on another of her trips to Gogledd, I am preparing for a day of Trayne Klubb activities.

Yesterday I found a couple of strips of Plastruct L section which will allow me to create the steelwork for the bridge I have been building.

Gordon is coming over later this morning, so  we can make a start on making up the retaining wall section that will hide the control panel and the wiring for all the points, signals and the electromagnets.

Once the bridge abutments and the wall have been secured in place we can then start on getting the ground cover in.

The announcement by Dapol of working 7 mm independent ground discs means that my plan to try and cobble something together out of bits will be replaced by a temporary section of scenery that can be replaced when the new signal arrives and gets planted.

Note to self:  Remember to fit/leave space for the actuating switch into the control panel prior to building it.

• Like 11

Apropos the future of the West wing I have been visualising layouts that might be built therein and  was struck by a thought about how we naturally see a layout within a room 

Thus as a  thought experiment could I ask you to consider the following situation. 

1. You have a rectangular room with a doorway in the centre of one of the short sides. Window in the opposite side. 

2. When drawn, the plan of the room has the doorway at the bottom, window at the top

3. You intend to build a traditional roundy roundy style layout in this space with scenery down one long side and fiddle yard down the other. The layout location is fictitious 

Now the questions. 

1. Without any thought to practicalities or other considerations , if you were stood in the doorway,  instinctively which side of the room would the scenic side be on?

2 .  Are you left or right handed? 

The reason I ask is that every possible plan I have in my head  comes out the same way round when I visualise it in the room.

Given the realities of the space this may not be the most practical way round

I am wondering if my handedness is affecting my thinking and if others experience the same.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm right-handed but visualise the scenic section on the left.my only comment would be to continue the scenics as far as possible round to the start of the fiddle yard, even if that means it coming out of a cutting as it fans out, like Crown point in Leeds.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I'm right-handed but visualise the scenic section on the left.my only comment would be to continue the scenics as far as possible round to the start of the fiddle yard, even if that means it coming out of a cutting as it fans out, like Crown point in Leeds.

Snap.  Though which side of the room gets the most natural light thru' the window - maybe that side is best for the scenics?

Bear is right pawed, incidentally.

How big is the room?

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Another thought, rehang the door to en outwards so that you can leave the hinged flap down and crawl ou under it. However if the door stays opening inwards it would prove an impenetrable to Mrs SM42.

Jamie

• Like 6