Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

On 25/03/2023 at 09:53, Happy Hippo said:

Spare a thought for poor Brian, who probably sitting with his feet up at MIOG, enjoying his second coffee and third bacon bap, whilst younger brother, Paul, is still busy setting up 'Tremorfa'.

Show closed at 16:00

We were away by 16:20, and I was in the house for 20:20.

After two days standing on a concrete 'workshop' floor by back, and thighs 'are in half' !

Not to distract from an enjoyable weekend as guests of the MIOG folks..

However, as a town, Crew could brand itself "the land that time forgot !".

This was offset by a pleasurable time by diverting the attention of both Happy Hippo and SM42 from the matter in hand; namely by regaling them with age old 'war stories'.

Thank you again for the boxes young Hippo.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Wimpey made better burgers than McD

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I thought Wendy's and Burger King were better than McD.  

To borrow a tag-line "The burgers ARE better at Burger King".  

Or at Hungry Jack's if you are in Australia.  A long-established business there was already using the name "Burger King" when BK Corp came along and tried to get them to stop claiming it was their name and theirs alone.  BK Corp were told where to get off and adopted the different name for their Antipodean operations.  Although, curiously, some branches did appear under the BK branding during the 2010s with slightly different corporate styling to the norm.  They even "competed" with Hungry Jacks on the same strip in a couple of places.  They came.  And they went.  And the burgers are still better at Hungry Jacks. 

I don't know why McD's choose to offer such bland food.  Everything I have ever tasted there lacked any form of interest.  Most burger outlets are far better than that.  BK beats them hands down for taste.  Though not always on price nor customer service.  

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Tomorrow's jobs list is in. 

1. Take Mrs SM42 to work

2. Move 1 ton of building sand off the drive and  into the back garden

3.  Move 40 slabs off the drive to the garden

4. Repair toilet door frame ( 14 years in the waiting that one)

5. Book car in for its 116,000 mile service 

6. Collect Mrs SM42 along with various items belonging to the now closed Polish Saturday School from storage in church hall next to where she works .  Where we are going to store this who knows)

After 4pm I may be able to relax a bit

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Actually, the last time (and second time) I tried a McD's was in Sydney. We'd just spent the day with some friends in Manley and after getting off the ferry at Circular Quay were walking up to our hotel when we passed the McD and Jill said, "Why don't we try here? look, they've got something new," pointing to an advert for some new superduper concoction. When I said that I'd rather go somewhere that sold food she said that it was ages ago that I'd tried McDs and they may have improved. So I gave in and in we went. They hadn't.

Dave

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I was on holiday, hence not replying to this.  Bear in mind this road is high - it gets a lot higher than that spot (Guthrie's memorial) and has NO SPEED LIMIT.  None, no 60/70 limit here.  It is also the main road from the north of the island to the capital Stinky Douglas, and is treated as an autobahn by local drivers.  The average speed on this road is likely as high as a UK motorway.  There is NO WAY ON EARTH I would cycle over there in bad weather, and I'm a ruffy tuffy motorcyclist.  It is a 1 in 12 gradient for a lot of the way, goes from sea level to 1500 feet and back in 7 miles, so our cyclist would have been travelling very slowly indeed.  When the bikes are here for TT week, the 'safety' of this road is demonstrated by it being made one way for the fortnight, and cyclists are banned from it. OK he has a 'right' to be there, but.....a stupid act.  Definite Darwin Award stuff.

I was friends at Uni with a guy who was in two Olympics in the cycling.  His specialty on road events was descending and reckoned he'd once significantly exceeded 60mph on that section of the island.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

To borrow a tag-line "The burgers ARE better at Burger King".  

Or at Hungry Jack's if you are in Australia.  A long-established business there was already using the name "Burger King" when BK Corp came along and tried to get them to stop claiming it was their name and theirs alone.  BK Corp were told where to get off and adopted the different name for their Antipodean operations.  Although, curiously, some branches did appear under the BK branding during the 2010s with slightly different corporate styling to the norm.  They even "competed" with Hungry Jacks on the same strip in a couple of places.  They came.  And they went.  And the burgers are still better at Hungry Jacks. 

I don't know why McD's choose to offer such bland food.  Everything I have ever tasted there lacked any form of interest.  Most burger outlets are far better than that.  BK beats them hands down for taste.  Though not always on price nor customer service.  

For all everyone's complaints about McDs, BK is the only burger chain that has made me ill.  I ate there in Bangkok airport after a 6hr stopover and halfway to Schipol became more ill than I have ever been before or since.  It was 24hrs before I could keep water down and once safely home, took me at least two days before I could leave the house or eat anything.

The subject of BK demanding others stop using the name reminds me of the McLibel trial.  While the "protestors" were a small group of irritating far-left anarchists they weren't likely to do McDonalds any serious harm.  It was amusing that the Head of the Clan MacDonald at the time, thought that the company was abusing it's corporate might by drowning these people in legal costs and threatened to sue the company himself, for bringing the clan name into disrepute or something.  After all it was unarguable that he had more right to use the name than anyone, especially them...... 

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I was on holiday, hence not replying to this.  Bear in mind this road is high - it gets a lot higher than that spot (Guthrie's memorial) and has NO SPEED LIMIT.  None, no 60/70 limit here.  It is also the main road from the north of the island to the capital Stinky Douglas, and is treated as an autobahn by local drivers.  The average speed on this road is likely as high as a UK motorway.  There is NO WAY ON EARTH I would cycle over there in bad weather, and I'm a ruffy tuffy motorcyclist.  It is a 1 in 12 gradient for a lot of the way, goes from sea level to 1500 feet and back in 7 miles, so our cyclist would have been travelling very slowly indeed.  When the bikes are here for TT week, the 'safety' of this road is demonstrated by it being made one way for the fortnight, and cyclists are banned from it. OK he has a 'right' to be there, but.....a stupid act.  Definite Darwin Award stuff.

I suspect there's a very broad street of bloody mindedness in play here along the lines of I come to b=£%&y tin pot of an island to cycle and I'm going f&%£#g well cycle no matter what anybody says including some jumped up Hitler. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

How odd that both of Scotland's arguably most (in)famous clans should both end up in the food industry. 

Probably why you don't see much soup on the menu at McD's

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 2
  • Funny 8

3 hours ago, SM42 said:

And being a cyclist, has no speed limit, rather like the road

Andy

I don’t think that’s so. A friend was a member of a local cycling club. He was stopped a couple of times by police and warned about exceeding the 30 mph limit in town when practising for road races.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Now ensconced in a rather nice establishment in Victor Idaho. It's actually a cabin but it is very well equipped and not at all expensive. I should be skiing just over the border in Wyoming tomorrow but there has be a LOT of snow here so conditions could be a bit interesting.

The 550 mile drive here took about eight hours. The odd thing is it started in Idaho and ended in Idaho but a big chunk of it was in Montana. Not only that but it went west to east across the continental divide at just under 6000 feet then eventually crossed back east to west at almost 7000 feet. Needless to say there was a bit of snow on the road at some places.

But 550 miles on the freeways in this part of the US isn't remotely like 550 miles on UK motorways, particularly at this time of year. There is very little traffic and if the weather is good you set the cruise control at 83 and turn on the sat radio tunes.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

59 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The odd thing is it started in Idaho and ended in Idaho but a big chunk of it was in Montana.

That's the magic of panhandles!

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, br2975 said:

After two days standing on a concrete 'workshop' floor by back, and thighs 'are in half' !

I have a bag of about 40 interlocking sponge pads, [camping mat materiel,] sold for children's play mats, which we use at shows.

They provide just enough damping and insulation between one's feet and the floors to make life a little more tolerable.

I'm sure Rev James will be able to help in your rehabilitation.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I ended up with tendinitis and a visit to A and E as I thought that I'd ruptured an achieves tendon, after a Warley show. I then bought a similar set of mats. They are also excellent ttfor sitting on the wet cold garden when assembling raised beds.

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, pH said:

I don’t think that’s so. A friend was a member of a local cycling club. He was stopped a couple of times by police and warned about exceeding the 30 mph limit in town when practising for road races.

The speed limit on UK roads applies to mechanically propelled vehicles. 

Exceeding the limit on a bike might constitute furious riding or some other lesser known  statute of a similar nature. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Exceeding the limit on a bike might constitute furious riding or some other lesser known  statute of a similar nature. 

Andy

We're not in the UK, our law is different, but furious riding is used for lots of stuff - TT week doing burnouts etc!

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I ended up with tendinitis and a visit to A and E as I thought that I'd ruptured an achieves tendon, after a Warley show. 

Having ruptured an Achilles tendon, I can tell you that if you had, you would not be in much doubt about it!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Roman misgovernent on a spectacular level led to the Boudiccan uprising, the resistance of Caradog and the Silurians

You forgot Asterix and Obelix.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, BoD said:

You forgot Asterix and Obelix.

My Latin master (I failed O Level twice) was intent on getting us into the groove. "You must construe, my friends! There you are, a Roman Centurion crouching behind your tortoise, with all these hairy Gauls rushing down the hill towards you!" The stuff of nightmares, eh? 

• Like 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

IIRC wanton and furious riding or driving cones from the Offences against the Person act of 1861.

Jamie

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know!), that act does not apply to Scotland, which is where this happened.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

Andy

A Guy I once worked with was nicked for being drunk in charge of a push bike....

• Like 2
  • Funny 3