Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

She's only  gone and done it again. 

The 10 o'clock news has just gone Polish as Mrs SM42 has somehow accidentally connected the Sky box to YouTube through her phone.

She has no idea and neither do I. 

If we xould work it out she does it, it could be quite useful.. 

Class 37s and SM42s.

Mmmmmmmm!

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I don't know the situation on civilian airfields but on RAF bases the airfield is the area likely to be used by aircraft and is defined by notices stating that all vehicles must have permission from Air Traffic Control before entering. That permission can be automatic in certain areas for particular traffic but in the absence of such standing clearance, individual permission must be obtained. This can also be granted en masse for the likes of public open days when control of traffic in certain parts of the airfield can be delegated to the RAF Police. The non-airfield part of the site is subject to the normal rules and laws pertaining to public roads, hence vehicles must have appropriate insurance and that insurance is valid. I know this because I once had a collision with a service vehicle on an RAF station that was deemed to be my fault and my insurance had to stump up for the damage. 

Dave

What you mean you had to take out insurance for the plane. Bet that was a bit expensive wasn't it. Did you opt for third party cover as comprehensive was to dear.

I don't know I would have thought HMG could have afforded it's own insurance it's not like it hasn't got the odd bob or to.

Bet the premiums went up as after you pranged yourself.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I don't know the situation on civilian airfields but on RAF bases the airfield is the area likely to be used by aircraft and is defined by notices stating that all vehicles must have permission from Air Traffic Control before entering. That permission can be automatic in certain areas for particular traffic but in the absence of such standing clearance, individual permission must be obtained. This can also be granted en masse for the likes of public open days when control of traffic in certain parts of the airfield can be delegated to the RAF Police. The non-airfield part of the site is subject to the normal rules and laws pertaining to public roads, hence vehicles must have appropriate insurance and that insurance is valid. I know this because I once had a collision with a service vehicle on an RAF station that was deemed to be my fault and my insurance had to stump up for the damage. 

Dave

I wonder how it used to apply to Gibraltar?

image.png.e455664420bcdf66597e10d110ff4be1.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I wonder how it used to apply to Gibraltar?

image.png.e455664420bcdf66597e10d110ff4be1.png

The traffic lights and barriers are controlled by ATC so when they are showing clear for vehicular traffic, permission to proceed within the marked boundaries is deemed to have been granted. The same used to apply to RAF Ballykelly where the road crossed the runway.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The traffic lights and barriers are controlled by ATC so when they are showing clear for vehicular traffic, permission to proceed within the marked boundaries is deemed to have been granted. The same used to apply to RAF Ballykelly where the road crossed the runway.

Dave

I used to regularly drive across the runway at Boscombe Down as it was the only sensible way for anyone to access the Helicopter Squadron building.  There used to be instances when ATC had to close the crossing due to poor visibility (they couldn't see if someone had passed the barrier on the other side) so everyone was directed out of the back gate, down the road, join the A345 then turn off it again to drive to the main gate.

Unfortunately getting onto the A345 and off again (two right turns) involved negotiating the most dangerous junction in Wiltshire - a fatal RTA most years - and it was seriously debated whether the company had conducted a proper safety assessment.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Gordon came over this morning and we built a retaining wall out of ply so we could stick a foamboard facia to it.

Then we cut all the foam and buttresses to size, ready for me to  scribe and paint them this week.

This afternoon I had to put a slight recess into the surface of the baseboard top just to ensure that the foam facia fits into the scenery and not just sat on the top of it.

Gordon also brought over a couple of 16 ton mineral wagon kits he'd found under the bed in his spare room.  They can join the ever increasing pile of things to build.

He also pointed out we need to build some more supporting legs for Pantmawr North, something I was quietly putting off.

This afternoon was taken up with more shed painting.

I really ought to contract this out to an expert contractor with contacts with the Polish community.

• Like 15

15 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

That sounds to me a more practical way of going about it than trying to snap surface strips onto printed rails. The latter may well be possible on plain track (although even then I have my doubts) but when it comes to common crossings, splice rails and the like it would surely require custom made lengths of capping that would probably be outside the scope of the average modellerr's capabilities and fairly expensive to produce commercially?

Dave 

Here's a pic of the resin prototype. This is 00-SF and it was printed at Shapeways. (DIY resin printers are now available at very reasonable prices.) The fit and finish is not great. I put it together a bit too quickly to see how it looked.

The NS rail heads are actually glued on with hot-melt. In theory the U channel would be supplied with a thin layer of hot melt inside. It would be placed on the printed rail and essentially "ironed on" 😀.

DSCN5889.JPG.057627a930665840ec632dab024bc484.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

That is quite a shock.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that I enjoyed watching Canada Street at ExpoEM in Bracknell. There was always quite a crowd and it was a real treat to see one of the layouts featured on the EM Gauge 70's website.

RIP Pete.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

19 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Another small domestic inhabitant who obviously punches well above his weight. Are we witnessing the first steps in what will eventually become The Planet of The Cats?

Dave

Sorry Dave, I have to point out our cat is a, ‘her’, answering to the name of Lucky.  
Last night, she was helping me consume two slices of homemade Lincolnshire Plumbread!  
Currently, Lucky is curled up on the sofa.

Paul

E82BD7F6-6020-4443-A044-4C5F88C76E3D.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I used to regularly drive across the runway at Boscombe Down as it was the only sensible way for anyone to access the Helicopter Squadron building. 

If Bear had a quid for every day I'd spent grovellin' about in the back of Lynx in H Sqn. I'd be a Very Happy Bear - excellent place to work.

Mind you, it didn't do the knees much good.

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

This afternoon was taken up with more shed painting.

I really ought to contract this out to an expert contractor with contacts with the Polish community.

Bear just happens to know just the man - I could arrange an introduction for a small consideration (ok, a bluddy great wedge of LDC).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Just a thought, @Winslow Boy of no sheds fame, doesn't appear to have noticed the arrivain our number of @Darlington_Shed

Jamie

I am here noting it all Jamie and if HH thinks I missed his reference to shed painting he has another thing coming - that's in addition to the Christmas card!

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I think it was @polybear who was wondering how I got the radius correct on the base of my focuser mount.   I used the simple method of measuring the diameter of the tube and dividing the answer by two, dividing the diameter of the boring bar by two, adding the two answers together and setting the tip of the tool to the outside of the bar dimension to that value 😉

The axis of the hole through the body was set to centre height and the tool just plunged in 5 thou or so at a time.      The radius of the cut was consistent from start to finish; it didn't start small and get opened up as the cut progressed.

On 27/05/2023 at 03:07, AndyID said:

Very nice but rather than a diameter that matches your scope you might have saved yourself a lot of work with a simple 'V' interface or some number of them to approximate a circle. There should be no need to make the connection "light tight".

The tube is made from very thin material and has a great big hole for the light path to the eyepiece and the focuser.      A "V" would have involved quite a bit of milling albeit perhaps simpler and quicker than the fly cutting however the conformal base of the mount adds considerably to the rigidity of the tube that the simple V wouldn't have and, of course, I liked the challenge.

Indeed they don't have to be "light tight", witness the Warren Truss tube construction!

image.png.874eb38cf29fc8926522669ac336f596.png

Alan

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I am here noting it all Jamie and if HH thinks I missed his reference to shed painting he has another thing coming - that's in addition to the Christmas card!

Nobody else sends me a present for Christmas so it will be a pleasant surprise.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

What about that coffee I bought you last year? I know it was in August but it was meant to be an early Christmas present.

Dave 

It was Orange Peko Tea actually, but thanks anyway.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The same used to apply to RAF Ballykelly where the road crossed the runway.

I thought it was a railway that crossed the runway at Ballykelly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, 5 C said:

That is quite a shock.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that I enjoyed watching Canada Street at ExpoEM in Bracknell. There was always quite a crowd and it was a real treat to see one of the layouts featured on the EM Gauge 70's website.

RIP Pete.

Canada Street is my favourite layouts (together with Walker Marine)  of all time and saw it a Wakefield a few years ago. Very inspirational. Im hoping to build an industrial/dockside layout after seeing it.
Better get a more on, time waits for no-one.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1