Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

My almost instant meal if I ever get in too late  to cook a meal is scrambled egg on toast with baked beans poured over. Let them warm in a pan whilst cooking the scrambled egg.  Also about 5 minutes in total. 

Jamie

OK, that’s fast (we won’t quibble over the gastronomic aspects), but I can do better…

• open fridge, take out buurehamme, cheese and Swiss gherkins
  • Slice the ham and cut a chunk of the cheese, plate with a gherkin or two
  • open bread bin, take out the Volkornbrot, tear off a chunk
  • pour some Kirschwasser
  • eat

Two minutes tops

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

….plus hot sauce, plus chilli oil, plus fresh chillies, plus tabasco (green and red) plus lardons

No thanks....

I'll stick with Worcester Sauce!

As it is "made from a base of vinegar and flavored with anchovies, molasses, tamarind, onion, garlic, and other seasonings", there's enough to be going with for a quick tasty meal.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

No thanks....

I'll stick with Worcester Sauce!

As it is "made from a base of vinegar and flavored with anchovies, molasses, tamarind, onion, garlic, and other seasonings", there's enough to be going with for a quick tasty meal.

Don't forget Henderson's which seems to have migrated south in recent years. 

Nice. 

Rob

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

…and whilst waiting enjoying a Bauernteller of airdried meats, salamis, cheeses, Holzoffen Brot all washed down by a glass (or three) of a decent Obstwasser.

I‘m actually surprised at HH‘s comments, as an ex-Military Man I would have thought he‘d have heard of “advance planning”….🤣

I planned on plenty of cans of beans!

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

29 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I‘m actually surprised at HH‘s comments, as an ex-Military Man I would have thought he‘d have heard of “advance planning”….🤣

He had the forethought to take a microwave and toaster in his field equipment pack, well padded for the descent,  and have them ready to go in his foxhole.

Andy

• Funny 9

My previous post reminded me of the date and  that 79 years ago today, many were parachuting into the battlefield and others making slower progress by sea

I have taken a few moments to remember the events of June 6th 1944 and those who made the ultimate sacrifice on that day and the days that followed

Lest we forget 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

18 minutes ago, SM42 said:

He had the forethought to take a microwave and toaster in his field equipment pack, well padded for the descent,  and have them ready to go in his foxhole.

Andy

I hope he included a really, really, really long extension lead as well oh and remember to flick the switch before he left - ask me how I know go on.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I hope he included a really, really, really long extension lead as well oh and remember to flick the switch before he left - ask me how I know go on.

My Valet carries this with him, to provide the power.  As you can imagine he has very strong arms, especially after we wanted to use the electric launch to go water skiing.

image.png.9aa6123b2f8f220ebf06ab60c4519373.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And as a coda to the above, if you want baked beans for grown ups, you can’t go wrong with a Cassoulet. Basically it’s a slow cooked amalgamation of haricot beans, sausage, pork, mutton and preserved goose, aromatically spiced with garlic and herbs (regional variations exist).

Definitely a step up from beans on toast!

The only time I’ve had proper cassoulet was in a little back street cafe in Dijon that we stumbled on and I must say it was delicious. I once tried it in a restaurant in UK and it wasn’t nearly as good.

Dave

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

As for Yorkshire Pudding, (don’t look ID?), my Yorkshire division of the family tree have it with Jam!  

As an aside, my Father insists on have Bread and Gravy for breakfast on the 25th December each year?  Not sure if this is a Yorkshire thing or Liverpool?  DH might be able to clarify?

I agree that YP with strawberry jam is good stuff and was fairly common in Liverpool when I was a kid. I’ve never heard of the bread and gravy Christmas Day breakfast though - probably the other side o’t Pennines.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

My previous post reminded me of the date and  that 79 years ago today, many were parachuting into the battlefield and others making slower progress by sea

I have taken a few moments to remember the events of June 6th 1944 and those who made the ultimate sacrifice on that day and the days that followed

Lest we forget 

Andy

Yes I will be thinking of that on Friday as we drive up to Caen ready to catch the ferry on Saturday morning.  One time I stopped at Pegasus bridge and walked round the landing site.  there are pillars on the spots where the three gliders landed.  The site is extremely small sandwiched between the canal and the river. Chapeau to them all as my neighbours would say.   As you drive up the motorway towards Caen you see signs for Falaise and other towns plus you pass several lare cemeteries including the Canadian one.   The ferry leaves from the eastern end of the beaches and ou can see them stretching into the distance as you sail.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

Great to see the Perishers making an appearance here!

Agreed. Along with Calvin and Hobbes I think that The Perishers was one of the finest cartoon strips ever - when Dennis Collins did the drawings that is. When Maurice Dodd took over both the drawings and the story line it was never quite as good.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Andy

He’d need a bl00dy long power lead though.

Dave

Just seen that Winslow beat me to it and HH riposted.

D

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Lest we forget 

Andy

Agreed.

And we mustn’t forget the poor bu99ers on the other side of the Normandy emplacements: the elderly and/or medically unfit reservists, draftees, former POWs from Eastern Europe who joined up hoping to leave one hell behind (only to land in another).

Your average Landser was like your average Tommy or GI Joe: called up/drafted, following orders, trying to do his best to get through the conflict unscathed and devoutly wishing to be  home with Trudi, Gerta or Lisl instead of being at the front (or in the military at all for that matter).

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

and others making slower progress by sea

My father’s progress across the sea was a little slower than expected as the outer door of their LCT had some sort of fault. They did arrive eventually just a little later on D day than planned. 

• Like 6

Yes I will be thinking of that on Friday as we drive up to Caen ready to catch the ferry on Saturday morning.  One time I stopped at Pegasus bridge and walked round the landing site.  there are pillars on the spots where the three gliders landed.  The site is extremely small sandwiched between the anal and the river. Chapeau to them all as my neighbours would say.   As you drive up the motorway towards Caen you see signs for Falaise and other towns plus you pass several lare cemeteries including the Canadian one.   The ferry leaves from the eastern end of the beaches and ou can see them stretching into the distance as you sail.

Jamie

Known as the perineum. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

In less than 6 hours???
Nah!
Having recently met The Bear in person, I reckon 6 weeks, minimum, before we’d notice a change in silhouette….🤣

B1tch  🤣

(Bear has just checked his BMI on the NHS website - it tells me that I'm a "Healthy Weight" and well south of the border by over 4Kg.  Just thought I'd mention that....😁)

3 hours ago, SM42 said:

Lest we forget 

Andy

Bear thought a moment ago that next year is likely to be the last "significant" D-Day Anniversary (80th) where there are surviving Veterans able to travel there.  Until.....

I Googled how young some of the Soldiers were - it seems there was a Para who was 14 (though killed 2 years later, sadly); in the US there was a Navy Vet. who was 12, though not at D-Day.

The site is extremely small sandwiched between the anal and the river.

Huh?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

(Bear has just checked his BMI on the NHS website - it tells me that I'm a "Healthy Weight" and well south of the border by over 4Kg.  Just thought I'd mention that....😁)

When  last looked at a BMI chart my weight wasnt on there.

My problem is I'm too short

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear thought a moment ago that next year is likely to be the last "significant" D-Day Anniversary (80th) where there are surviving Veterans able to travel there.  Until.....

I Googled how young some of the Soldiers were - it seems there was a Para who was 14 (though killed 2 years later, sadly); in the US there was a Navy Vet. who was 12, though not at D-Day.

Huh?

It was interesting watching the news this morning and they had a D day veteran on who was 100yrs old.

He didn't look a day over 75.

Andy

• Like 12

I have spent the morning trying to fix the leaky cold tap in the kitchen.

A new cartridge was in stock so I  set about the task.

After much struggling and affearing a loud crack signifying the requirement for a new sink, I finally succeeded in removing the old cartridge.

The new was fitted and found to be 2 millimetres or so too long and so was removed again to shorten it so the tap handle sat niceley on the tap.

Water turned back on and leak worse than ever.

Water off (in line valve found to be slightly odd in that water was on when turned 90 degrees across pipe) and start looking around for what I did wrong.

Aha!

Maybe he seat needs cleaning.

Out with the wet and dry and do my best with what tools I have to polish the seat.

Put it all back together. Handle at wrong angle. Test it all with water on anyway and less drippy. Take all apart again. more polishing and try again. About the fifth time round actually got it to stop dripping.

3 goes then at getting it fitted so the handle lined up right

Now the hot tap has started dripping. ☹️

Painting is much less hassle

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 16