Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' orl.

Just speed reading through to catch up, and read 'bare bear behind'. shudders.  Less speed more haste methinks.

The code has faded just leaving killer-grade hay fever, the palm trees are all flowering due to the scorchio weather, they have a really sickly sweet smell and enough pollen to keep a country-full of bees busy for a year. Watched racing from a friend's house, well scary corner.  Lap records falling again, twice in one race for the sidecars.

Drag racing tomorrow.   No this does not involve wearing clothes cast off from the late Dame Edna, bless her.

• Like 9
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Watched racing from a friend's house, well scary corner.  Lap records falling again, twice in one race for the sidecars.

I see the magic 125mph average lap speed on a Sidecar has been broken.  That's just nutz.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

46 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

On the available evidence I suspect that SM42 villa is like the Forth Bridge - once he's painted everything that doesn't move, Andy starts at the beginning again.

Dave

A good analogy but I seem to remember reading they don't have to paint the FB continuously now (or did they ever?) I wonder which Humbrol paint number they are using.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Average! Ye gods!

The 2 wheeler average record is 135mph - peak speed is in the order of 200mph.  All on public roads.  Frontal Lobotomies are an asset, apparently.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:
11 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

We have been in this house since March 93 and refitted it twice. The 2nd time was just after a kitchen extension was built. We bought the units over a few weeks from B&Q clearance, before going to visit son in hospital, 'no you can't come home tonight, the car is too full'. having bought the units from clearance, there are about 3 types of wall cupboard wall fixings, each having different fixings, so fitting them was fun. Oak frame/ panel doors, 2 sizes  were not available so I had to disassemble a number to make my own. If you see pictures of my Diecast Trains you will see that I use the frames (a neighbour refitted their kitchen so I gabbed a whole load of matching doors from the skip). Her Indoors/ SWMBO collects Cookie Jar Bears. 

Must go, part way through wiring in a dash cam to the Smart, have 21 packs of tiles to lay in conservatory and something else (thinks) ... oh I know a daughter getting married on Saturday 

20230607_103609.jpg

Expand  

I note admiration of Bears and Penguins.

There is no trace of Hippo veneration.

Such a picture posted on any day is bad enough, but to post it on my birthday is really hurtful.

Now I shall have to go and gorge on Bara Brith to salve my feelings.

Happy Birthday HH and many more to come. From a well known S American River, a Cookie Jar Hippo

Brianimage.png.9544305b6dc9e3c3cb4561efc57087b3.png

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, polybear said:
14 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Average! Ye gods!

The 2 wheeler average record is 135mph - peak speed is in the order of 200mph.  All on public roads.  Frontal Lobotomies are an asset, apparently.

As an ex Motorbiker, who took a short, unscheduled Flying Lesson when bike came to a sudden stop, doing those speeds sounds like a way to give yourself a DIY Lobotomiy

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Average of 125mph on the slowest class of machine and that includes a couple of first gear corners.....

I sympathise with John McGuiness (joint second most successful TT winner but likely to become third this week) who gets annoyed at people calling TT riders "mad"; as he says, he and others are just very, very good at what they do for a living.  There is a great video of Peter Hickman on evening practice from last year, where it was captioned on the Goodwood FoS site with the phrase, "How does a mere human being DO this?"

I love all motorbike racing, but road racing is perhaps the purest motorsport left on Earth.  While people still choose to do it, long may it continue.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

As a kid I saw Bob McIntyre do the first 100mph lap of the TT course, which was reckoned at the time to be reaching the practical limit. That it has reached another 35% is nothing short of amazing and is testament not just to the manufacturers but to the skill and courage of the riders. To call them mad is insulting as I'm sure that only someone who is sane enough to be able to recall all the tiny details of the course and make the number of split second decision necessary could achieve what they do. 

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I see the magic 125mph average lap speed on a Sidecar has been broken.  That's just nutz.

Was the sidecar still attached to the motorcycle when it achieved the magic number.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

23 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

at what they do for a living.  There is a great video of Peter Hickman on evening practice from last year, where it was captioned on the Goodwood FoS site with the phrase, "How does a mere human being DO this?"

I love all motorbike racing, but road racing is perhaps the purest motorsport left on Earth.  While people still choose to do it, long may it continue.

Upon reflection I should have written '... an easy way to do a DIY ..., for the unskilled rider'. My apologies

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

In 1979 I rode my Moto Guzzi LeMans up the mountain mile in the rain at about 125 mph and scared myself silly. Someone came past me on a Lavada Jota about 20mph faster which frightened me even more.  I have so much respect for these guys and I simply don't know how they do it. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SM42 said:

Who's leaving it half painted?

It's done. 

It wasn’t a  very big fence

I've primed the pipes to the new radiator this evening too. 

Andy

In case you missed it first time...

Hi Andy, 

Welcome to PA  - Painters Anonymous.

Please, in your own time, tell us how it all began...................

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

A good analogy but I seem to remember reading they don't have to paint the FB continuously now (or did they ever?) I wonder which Humbrol paint number they are using.

I felt that the continuous painting meant that they had matched the crew to the job.

If they now take, say, a year and the paint lasts 10 years, in 10 years they will have to train a whole new crew.

We are now receiving smoke from forest fires in Quebec or Northern Ontario.  We are wearing N95 and other particulate masks outdoors, especially we asthma sufferers.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

I've often thought that FDM (filament) 3-D printing might be a good way to make Gauge 0 track so just for the halibut I took a shot at printing chairs for bullhead rail. This is the CAD model of a turnout chair.

Screenshot(47).png.f0dffadb176f6e94162ead6693dc113d.png

A few prints. Despite the slender size of the jaws they are really quite strong.

DSCN5923.JPG.d1a33b753a45913e6639a97fa804b203.JPG

And with a quick hit of primer resting on a MK1 finger for scale. Notice how at this magnification you can see the lines of my fingerprint.

DSCN5931.JPG.60b351b5127f6189acfc07071f131739.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I felt that the continuous painting meant that they had matched the crew to the job.

If they now take, say, a year and the paint lasts 10 years, in 10 years they will have to train a whole new crew.

We are now receiving smoke from forest fires in Quebec or Northern Ontario.  We are wearing N95 and other particulate masks outdoors, especially we asthma sufferers.

There are Pictures of New York disappearing in a orange haze on UK TV.

• Agree 7

13 hours ago, AndyID said:

Just killing time here before I leave to go to the dentist. I was finally forced to make an appointment as a couple of fillings have parted company with their hosts.

Despite my recent reluctance to go anywhere near a dentist I did get off quite lightly. Only a couple of fillings - but some serious "deep cleaning" is required - which was not unexpected.

This was a different dentist from the one I used to go to and they had some really serious X-ray kit. The lady that was taking the pics was able to see the images produced pretty much in real-time on a monitor and she must have taken about twenty pics. They also had a thingy I had to step into that took a complete 180 degree X-ray shot of my jaws and teeth.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the unexpected side effects of having the  old lawn ripped out has been the large influx of birds into the garden, where they can be seen poking around in the soil after grubs insects and worms.

Notable are two Robins, ever bold, who are quite happy to continue scavenging whilst the work carries on around them.

The others are less so inclined, but we have had a number of blackbirds around, as well as a Wren, Thrushes and Wagtails.

It was been a long time since we have had Thrushes and Wagtails as regular visitors to the garden, and with any luck they will continue to return.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

I've often thought that FDM (filament) 3-D printing might be a good way to make Gauge 0 track so just for the halibut I took a shot at printing chairs for bullhead rail. This is the CAD model of a turnout chair.

Screenshot(47).png.f0dffadb176f6e94162ead6693dc113d.png

A few prints. Despite the slender size of the jaws they are really quite strong.

DSCN5923.JPG.d1a33b753a45913e6639a97fa804b203.JPG

And with a quick hit of primer resting on a MK1 finger for scale. Notice how at this magnification you can see the lines of my fingerprint.

DSCN5931.JPG.60b351b5127f6189acfc07071f131739.JPG

They look really good.

What is the print time needed to make up one of these chairs?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

AndyID, I assume from the pictures that you will be fitting separate keys in the chairs? That is how I did my pointwork using resin chairs and separate keys cast for me by a friend in dental resin using masters he machined and silicon rubber moulds. 

Dave

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

This morning's efforts resulted in the retaining wall being secured in place. The capping will be put in place once the gap between the wall and the backscene has been filled, and had scenic materiels added.

20230608_121940.jpg.3282fb3e7605bd89cefed3467716a7fa.jpg

20230608_121934.jpg.7f1e64f97f479e15d388c0e311fc1a00.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1