Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

To be fair, it's hard to make a good road movie when you could make of a feature-length film of most people's journeys and play them in real time.

It's probably not an original idea but I thought as a retirement project (so some way off), I will write a travel book about the secondary routes of Britain; "By-passed: The Britain We Miss".  If not rushing from A to B, following the roads that the motorways replaced can still give you a glimpse into motoring in the 1960s and before.  As an example, years ago when riding between Fife and Liverpool or on to Wales, I would usually avoid the M6 between Carnforth and Penrith and take the old A6.  It used to be deserted but still maintained to a good standard so on a bike you could, ahem, have a bit of fun.

When travelling from East Anglia to Manchester I used the A14 to the M1/M6 junction, north up the M1 to the next junction (20) Lutterworth then use the A5. Also used the same route going to North Wales.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona........

Been there - and there is a flatbed Ford. 

image.png.1840788a0a4f14147b42df3d21006e47.png

Dave

As a former resident of the rather toasty state of Arizona I am able to confirm you are much more likely to see a mighty fine sight in Glasgow.

(Mind you Scottsdale was a different thing entirely but we are not about to go there.)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I'm not sure this is quite 45 degrees but you should be able to get the general idea. CAD is pretty amazing. All I had to do was create a two dimensional gear profile and it did the rest. In theory I should be able to bung the model into the 3-D printer to produce a pretty good facsimile.

Screenshot(64).png.86914489aef95c9bd5693ccb019a8c53.png

EDIT:  What's the difference between a helical gear set and a worm and worm-gear?

Hint: It's a trick question.

Edited by AndyID
moinfo
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

We were on our first trip with a GPS and had managed to get to Los Angeles and were coming back.  In one town we set it and were told to take the first exit at a roundabout. It seems that since the GPS had been programmed, they added a new exit.

Some years ago, in the Doonesbury comic strip, one of the characters had a job recording famous personalities as GPS voices.

Route 66 is no longer continuous from end to end. Parts have been covered over by Interstates or other roads; parts have been paralleled by other roads and left in small segments.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Route 66 is no longer continuous from end to end. Parts have been covered over by Interstates or other roads; parts have been paralleled by other roads and left in small segments.

I found that out not long after I took that photo of route 66 when I got to Barstow.  I suddenly saw a gaurd with an M16 in front of me.  Route 66 goes straight through a Marine Corps base so I had to turn round quickly and use a bit of the Interstate.  In remote Wyoming similar things happen to US30 the Lincoln Highway.  They couldn't be bothered to build a parallel service road when the built I80  so the hard shoulder of the Interstate is the road for non motorway traffic as you head up Sherman Hill from Granite.  A tad disconcerting on a pushbike. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having seen Hunter Biden's cosy deal that was cooked up between defence and prosecution being thrown out by the judge, they could well end up as cell mates

Hunter may well end up in the clink but it's highly unlikely Dr Autocoup ever will.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

A schoolboy error has just been committed. I've got a couple of kits that realistically I was never going to build on Ebay and they are doing rather well on the bid prices. The schoolboy error? I've told Jill how well they are doing with the result that tomorrow's shopping trip could well be more expensive than I had anticipated 😥

Dave 

Oh Daaaaaaaave.......

You actually OWNED UP??  That's not schoolboy, that's basic Nursery School first-year stuff - you never, ever, EVER own up....

There is some debate about whether Bear's first words were:

"It couldn't have been me", or

"I wasn't there", or

"I know nothing about it"

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Hunter may well end up in the clink but it's highly unlikely Dr Autocoup ever will.

I suspect the worst he'll ever see is house arrest, but I very much doubt even that.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AndyID said:

I'm not sure this is quite 45 degrees but you should be able to get the general idea. CAD is pretty amazing. All I had to do was create a two dimensional gear profile and it did the rest. In theory I should be able to bung the model into the 3-D printer to produce a pretty good facsimile.

Screenshot(64).png.86914489aef95c9bd5693ccb019a8c53.png

EDIT:  What's the difference between a helical gear set and a worm and worm-gear?

Hint: It's a trick question.

I think it looks like one of my many attempts at a simple spur.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I think that the stretch through Arizona is the longest continuous part left.

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I found that out not long after I took that photo of route 66 when I got to Barstow.  I suddenly saw a gaurd with an M16 in front of me.  Route 66 goes straight through a Marine Corps base so I had to turn round quickly and use a bit of the Interstate.

One of the advantages of having a NATO military ID was that apart from some very sensitive areas I could get into and through such places without too much trouble. Even with Jill and the kids on board I’ve driven through a few army and USMC bases that straddle highways in California, Nevada and Arizona.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

That would be “it is too hot” where we are. 

Looking out of the window I think that HH’s only chance of avoiding the g word is if it’s too wet. Depends on how sympathetic Nyda is feeling I guess. Unfortunately nothing short of a meteor strike is likely to get me out of shopping though. Just off to take Horace to the vet’s first.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, polybear said:

Oh Daaaaaaaave.......

You actually OWNED UP??  That's not schoolboy, that's basic Nursery School first-year stuff - you never, ever, EVER own up....

There is some debate about whether Bear's first words were:

"It couldn't have been me", or

"I wasn't there", or

"I know nothing about it"

I have it on good authority that Bear's first words were:

'Cake please'

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that the stretch through Arizona is the longest continuous part left.

One of the advantages of having a NATO military ID was that apart from some very sensitive areas I could get into and through such places without too much trouble. Even with Jill and the kids on board I’ve driven through a few army and USMC bases that straddle highways in California, Nevada and Arizona.

But were you saluted?

I was!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

16 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I don't know if it's just me, but there's something intrinsically funny about British road directions and British railway timetables.

Perhaps it's watching too much  Monty Python and other British comedy  - such as these:

Route 66, Autostrada del Sole, Le Grande Corniche all have a romantic and/or exciting ring about them; the A361 to Barnstaple - not so much.

Le Grand Corniche brings to mind images of 1950s Bentley Convertibles, chilled champagne and caviar;  glamorous and sophisticated women in Dior creations....

And the A361?  Images of ancient Austins towing huge caravans causing 20 mile tailbacks, warm beer and soggy egg and cress sandwiches, frumpy females in saggy stockings hairnets and cardigans.....

Route 66 gave us Easy Rider, Thelma and Louse and Paris, Texas. British Roads gave us The Harry Hill Movie  and Withnail and I

There's a similar theme when it comes to certain genres of music, take mid to late '60s rock for instance  US West Coast bands gave us mind blowing, pulsating, fifteen minute backwards guitar solos, the English variety gave us quaint ditties about steam trains and nicking ladies undergarments from washing lines ('Last Of The Steam Powered Trains' by The Kinks and 'See Emily Play' by Pink Floyd).

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think it looks like one of my many attempts at a simple spur.

It should. It's really just a twisted spur. It's also just an eleven start worm 😄.

Edit: if you want to make your own worm gears in metal its possible to make your own version of hobs like these.

https://www.star-su.com/cutting-tools/gear-cutting-tools/hobs/involute/worm-gear-hobs/

Edited by AndyID
Moinfo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1