Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
On 18/11/2023 at 19:43, iL Dottore said:

MEET UP AT WARLEY??

I’ll be at Warley this year after a long absence (various reasons) and would love to meet up with both old and new faces.

I’m there all weekend, so possible meeting times could be

• Saturday: about 14:00 (so just after the lunchtime rush)
  • Saturday: shortly after show closing
  • Sunday: about 14:00 (so just after the lunchtime rush)

Probably at the ‘Spoons just outside the hall.

Thoughts?

iD

I'll be there working on stand A4. We'll probably be very busy on the stand, but come and say hello.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I'll be there working on stand A4. We'll probably be very busy on the stand, but come and say hello.

We did see your establishment in Settle when we visited recently. However it wasn’t a weekday so we didn’t visit! We had no trouble parking to get a train though which was very convenient. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

A4? 

That's not a very big stand. 

Was A0 not available?

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

At one time, until quite recently here, a car owner could deposit £500000 to avoid the need for third party insurance. I suppose this would have been of benefit to a very rich person otherwise uninsurable for some reason. Not allowed now,  

Drove Government vehicles in the 1980's, No insurance, after any collision, instructed to handover a slip with vehicle reg no and date, suggesting  they contact an internal claims dept. Also no MOT required if maintained in a Govt Workshop.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

At one time, until quite recently here, a car owner could deposit £500000 to avoid the need for third party insurance. I suppose this would have been of benefit to a very rich person otherwise uninsurable for some reason. Not allowed now,  

"Losing" £500K in order to dodge insurance premiums would be a very bad idea indeed from a financial perspective - investing it would normally give a much higher income than the cost of the policy. 

Also, whilst £500K would cover the vast majority of claims, there is a tiny risk that a big claim could wipe that out - and more.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

As a result of much clearing in the attic, I am required to go to the recycling centre in order to dispose of much card and wallpaper sample books.  These have probably been in the attic for almost as long as we have lived in the house, and were part of the craft stocks for brownies and guides.

However, I have yet another load of stuff to go for recycling as well.  I'm somewhat surprised that the house hasn't collapsed under the weight of all the junk.

At least we'll be able to remove the pit props now🤣.

Prior to any tip visits, I am required to visit the supermarket as I have been given responsibility for doing some shopping, and preparing the evening meal whilst Nyda attends her craft club.

I might treat myself to a Belgian bun or two to scoff with a solo afternoon tea.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

14 hours ago, AndyID said:

Re. the automobile insurance, when we moved to Arizona in 1982, auto insurance was not required. Well, it was the Wild West. 😄

In some, perhaps all?, US states you can self-insure by putting up some sort of bond.

Appears some states have a scheme like this:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/unsatisfied-judgment-fund.asp

I know the Canadian province of Ontario used to have it (and perhaps still does) as l and my cousin drove uninsured (but legal) under it for a summer in 1968. That situation makes you a very careful and cautious driver!

In fact, so cautious that I was stopped and checked by a cop. When he’d finished and was happy everything was OK, I asked him why he’d stopped me. He said that with a carload of teenagers being driven so carefully, he reckoned there had to be something not right.

• Like 5
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, AndyID said:

At the risk of adding even more insult to injury the music teacher at skool had a glabrous cranium. A tin of chromium polish was discovered in the music room cupboard after which he was universally referred to as "Chrome Dome".

Today while sorting the radar history room a tin of brasso was found by someone of less than hirsute appearance, comments were suitably made...

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Can't you get an oinkment for that?

Is it like the injection that you can get against liking engines with copper capped chimbleys. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

As a result of much clearing in the attic,  

I'm somewhat surprised that the house hasn't collapsed under the weight of all the junk.

At least we'll be able to remove the pit props now🤣.

I did know someone who claimed that after all her daughter's stuff had been removed from their attic, they could now shut the doors upstairs without using brute force.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

The contents of our loft in Gildersome were going to be my revenge on the kids when they put me in a care home.  As it was they assisted in filling two skips.  A Volvo load of magazines went to the Vintage carriages Trust at Keighley and much went to a charity shop.  The balance arrived overhete.  We don't have an attic but there is unfortunately a lot of rooin the shed.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Bear goes into Beamland with a view to disposing of stuff that's no longer required or is just plain cr@p; the trouble is that everything up there falls into one or more of the following:  very good/needed/not cr@p/semtimental value.

And it's still full....

...though it is less full than it used to be.....

Edited by polybear
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear goes into Beamland with a view to disposing of stuff that's no longer required or is just plain cr@p; the trouble is that everything up there falls into one or more of the following:  very good/needed/not cr@p/semtimental value.

And it's still full....

...though it is less full than it used to be.....

Been doing a lot of that recently, and have found the sentimental value of many items has faded in the 21 years since they were put up there. Bin or recycling.

Now I just have to come to terms with selling a lot of New Haven and New York Central locos and stock, and some BR/SR stuff - I had forgotted just how much there was up there. 🥵

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

...snip... Now I just have to come to terms with selling a lot of New Haven ...snip...

Keep the EP3s and EP-5s if you have any!

8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

...snip... Now I just have to come to terms with selling a lot of New York Central ...snip...

Keep the S-motors if you have any!

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Keep the EP3s and EP-5s if you have any!

Keep the S-motors if you have any!

Not got much e-power, a NH E33 and no NYC electrics, oh and a Broadway Limited Pennsy (spits) sound GG1.  That's a beast, die cast and two motors, pull anything. Impulse buy.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not got much e-power, a NH E33 and no NYC electrics, oh and a Broadway Limited Pennsy (spits) sound GG1.  That's a beast, die cast and two motors, pull anything. Impulse buy.

Parting with a DL109 would be tough, and I don't think you have an I-5, a steam streamliner to die for. As J S Bach implies, the Jets do seem to have been the biz. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1