Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Parting with a DL109 would be tough, and I don't think you have an I-5, a steam streamliner to die for. As J S Bach implies, the Jets do seem to have been the biz. 

I was just about to press the button on a HO Jet when the world went all O gauge.....  But I have C liners, PA, GP9, S1, S2, RS11, RS2, H16-44 and I think a C425. The I5 when it came out was just too expensive as my circumstances were changing.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not got much e-power, a NH E33 and no NYC electrics, oh and a Broadway Limited Pennsy (spits) sound GG1.  That's a beast, die cast and two motors, pull anything. Impulse buy.

Keep the Deltics - they're like money in the Bank.....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Keep the Deltics - they're like money in the Bank.....

I need to convert them into Deltic tokens.  Got loads of undecorated stuff too, some are real archive locos - Cary Alco S1, cast in what must be depleted uranium judging by its weight....  Nice looking drives though.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear goes into Beamland with a view to disposing of stuff that's no longer required or is just plain cr@p; the trouble is that everything up there falls into one or more of the following:  very good/needed/not cr@p/semtimental value.

And it's still full....

...though it is less full than it used to be.....

I have been trying to do that for a while now, not in Beamland but in Shedland (Jill tells me that last time she ventured into Beamland she was horrified at what was up there too) but it doesn't seem to have made any appreciable inroads into the piles of stuff. The only visible (as distinct from in places like the cupboard of shame) difference has been that a large collection of old model aircraft magazines has gone, as have old model railway magazines apart from MRJs. Jill was quite pleased with that but this evening I had to confess that HH is calling round tomorrow with some old magazines for me and so far the only comment has been, "Hmm." It was the sort of "Hmm" that brings a chill to the spine though.

Dave 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have been trying to do that for a while now, not in Beamland but in Shedland (Jill tells me that last time she ventured into Beamland she was horrified at what was up there too) but it doesn't seem to have made any appreciable inroads into the piles of stuff. The only visible (as distinct from in places like the cupboard of shame) difference has been that a large collection of old model aircraft magazines has gone, as have old model railway magazines apart from MRJs. Jill was quite pleased with that but this evening I had to confess that HH is calling round tomorrow with some old magazines for me and so far the only comment has been, "Hmm." It was the sort of "Hmm" that brings a chill to the spine though.

Dave 

Lofts are magical places where stuff breeds.  It doesn't seem to matter how much I clear out of our loft - admittedly it's normally just a few small boxes at a time - it just never seems to get any emptier.

Over the years I have been brutal and got rid of I think seven or eight A4 paper boxfuls of magazines; the railway/model railway ones I scanned the articles of interest then advertised the mags as free to a good home (recommending that the new owner did the same).  This and a redistribution of weight around the roof led to a bedroom door no longer sticking.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Went to the podiatrist today for a consultation to see whether he could help with my back problem pending the operation. After lots of tests, examinations, measurements etc. he convinced me that because my legs are of unequal length the orthotics I have been wearing in my shoes for years are insufficient. I was expecting him to tell me that it would cost a few Deltics to make new ones but he actually said that wouldn't be necessary and in about twenty minutes had made some alterations to the existing ones that I have to admit seem to have made a difference - not stopped the pain but certainly reduced it. And rather than multiple Deltics he only charged me twenty quid. Top bloke! Hence I took Jill out to lunch, which may have gained me some brownie points that I may need to cash in when HH brings the magazines tomorrow.  

Dave

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Lofts are magical places where stuff breeds.  It doesn't seem to matter how much I clear out of our loft - admittedly it's normally just a few small boxes at a time - it just never seems to get any emptier.

Lofts are merely a sub-set of what Terry Pratchett described for libraries, all those in the multiverse being connected by L-space. Another sub-set that I have alluded to before connects all modellers' cupboards of shame such that no matter how hard one tries to empty or just reduce the contents of them they will simply fill up with stuff from someone else's cupboard or loft. It is a futile exercise.

Dave 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Lofts are merely a sub-set of what Terry Pratchett described for libraries, all those in the multiverse being connected by L-space. Another sub-set that I have alluded to before connects all modellers' cupboards of shame such that no matter how hard one tries to empty or just reduce the contents of them they will simply fill up with stuff from someone else's cupboard or loft. It is a futile exercise.

Dave 

Hell, no wonder there are so many boxes of stock up there....I'm doomed!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave 

And is the L space also connected to the black holes that surround all modelling benches, that are full of such things as 12BA nuts and washers ands all castings that go missing. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

35 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

The same thing appears to be happening in my garage too.  No matter how many boxes I empty, there still seems to be just as many!

Today, for example, I found a box of locos I kept to run on Super 4 track, because they seem to bounce off the chairs of code 100 track, including my only Flying MoneyPit (with Chuffing Sound).  And there's still more, much more....

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Went to the podiatrist today for a consultation to see whether he could help with my back problem pending the operation. After lots of tests, examinations, measurements etc. he convinced me that because my legs are of unequal length the orthotics I have been wearing in my shoes for years are insufficient. I was expecting him to tell me that it would cost a few Deltics to make new ones but he actually said that wouldn't be necessary and in about twenty minutes had made some alterations to the existing ones that I have to admit seem to have made a difference - not stopped the pain but certainly reduced it. And rather than multiple Deltics he only charged me twenty quid. Top bloke! Hence I took Jill out to lunch, which may have gained me some brownie points that I may need to cash in when HH brings the magazines tomorrow.  

Dave

When I am in her presence tomorrow I will say in a loud voice 'You can borrow these Dave, as you'll probably remember when they were first published... But I want them back'.

I think that may help.

With your back in such a perilous state, I'll even carry them down to Valhalla for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

And is the L space also connected to the black holes that surround all modelling benches, that are full of such things as 12BA nuts and washers ands all castings that go missing. 

Jamie

Nope. That's the carpet monster.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave 

Meanwhile at the muddy hollow an "aaaah" was heard as more old magazines disappear from aloft.

The sort of "aaaah" that make you think a bonus cake may appear at some point. 

Andy

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

There's another connected space -- all the places behind doors that say "No admittance" or "Private". (according to Tom Holt)

I don't have a loft. There is an attic, but the only access is a hole in the garage that is above the garage door opener. An inspector for insulation looked at the hatch and decided not to check it.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave 

So does that mean if I rummage long enough I'll find an (ideally) unbuilt** kit for a Metalsmith 60ft well-type T/Table in there?

(** Or at least an extremely well built example)

• Like 4
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Just now, polybear said:

So does that mean if I rummage long enough I'll find an (ideally) unbuilt** kit for a Metalsmith 60ft well-type T/Table in there?

(** Or at least an extremely well built example)

About as much chance as winning the lottery.  Yes, it might happen to someone, but not to you....  

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Lofts are merely a sub-set of what Terry Pratchett described for libraries, all those in the multiverse being connected by L-space.

Never having read Terry Pratchett, does he describe how the L-space maps onto the various (local, national and international) inter-library loan systems? 🤨

Edited by pH
  • Funny 9

Good morning folks,

I found moving house is a great driver for 'having a clear out ' (no sniggering at the back).

Moving from a 3 bed house to a 3 bed bungalow meant no loft automatically. So, most of my railway and modelling magazines went to the 47401 preservation project at Butterley, with the exception of some Backtracks, Steam World etc. Even the MRJ and GWRJ collection went. Along with a whole load of 'stuff ' in the loft and garage that might have been 'useful ' one day.

Now 8 years in from the move, the garage has been converted into a fourth bedroom with additional wardrobe space built in. However, these are now filled with my son's and wife's clothing, with a set of shelves allocated for my model railway stock. At least it contains the Desk of Doing (name courtesy of Mr Sheepbloke NHY581). My 1/72 aircraft kits have to share one top shelf (built and stash).

So, I guess L space has caught up with me!

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

27 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We've just finished the overnight loading of the 44 tonne wagon with the magazines that are going to Dave's this afternoon.

Only ONE wagon?

I expected that you would need a fleet...

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Only ONE wagon?

I expected that you would need a fleet...

The 44 tonne is far bigger on the inside than the outside.

Having taken PN in it's modified form to Llandrinio last Saturday in the new(er) SEAT, I was surprised how much space was left free.

A slight reorganisation of the stowage before the return trip has made me realise that in all probability I could have got everything from the original layout in quite easily.

Of course this now begs the question as to whether I could, if needed pack, in a full cassette table system instead of the fiddle stick for the 'North end'.

I'm tempted, but the new found space could also be used for important things such as a bag for clothes etc over the weekend.

Adding a second full cassette table also means we'd probably need a third operator.... So we'd need a second car.

Then the merry go round would continue as we would have the space in this potential second vehicle to carry more baseboards and stock.

At that rate, I'm well on the way to building a rather large point to point (but with a continuous run facility) of the whole of the Efflew Valley.

Just imagine Heaton Junction, but on a much grander scale🤣.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The 44 tonne is far bigger on the inside than the outside.

Oh, he's moonlighting for the 60th Anniversary?

Edited by Hroth
First the spelin went, now its the countin...
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

. . . no matter how hard one tries to empty or just reduce the contents of them they will simply fill up with stuff from someone else's cupboard or loft. It is a futile exercise.

Agreed. Following the recent passing of a close friend, I now have 12 boxes of assorted railway books which have been given to our local narrow gauge group - at least I know when they will be going out of the loft as we intend selling those not wanted by group members at our annual modelling day / exhibition in January.

6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

There's another connected space -- all the places behind doors that say "No admittance" or "Private". 

When I went to the local hospital A&E about six years ago with chest pains, there was large waiting room and a sign that gave the minimum waiting time of four hours. However I was told to go straight though the door that said 'No Admittance' and was seen immediately. Within five minutes I was on a bed wired up to ECG etc. Kept in overnight to have a 'stress test' the next morning - this was on a treadmill which got both faster and steeper to make me really work hard. When resting there were several technicians and doctors looking at the screen as I was still all wired up. I asked if there was a problem and they said I wasn't recovering as quickly as they expected - hardly surprising as the last exercise I did was at school almost fifty years ago !  Came away with a couple of prescriptions for asprin and statin and told to exercise a bit more - no problems since then. NHS at its best and before all the issues with the pandemic and doctors strikes etc.

• Like 12
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, pH said:

does he describe how the L-space maps onto the various (local, national and international) inter-library loan systems?

I think the elephants legs generate a series of 16 bit number addresses through the medium of interpretive dance. Or possibly just magic. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13