Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am now going to drift outside to the garage and indulge in the reckless sorting out of the drawer that contains the bolts washers and screws.

Some people hippos really know how to live.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

As is usual when packing the car the question I ask is

" Is that everything?

" Yes' I am assured 

I know it's it's lie. The stuff keeps coming.  

"Is he car full?" She asks 

" yes, rammed" I reply

" there's room for this bag though " she says. 

" Yes dear, on your lap "

" Oh"

Andy

• Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, SM42 said:

" Is that everything?

" Yes' I am assured 

" yes, rammed" I reply

" Oh"

Andy

Getting the spare out..........in the rain.....in the dark could be fun......

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SM42 said:

" Is that everything?

" Yes' I am assured 

" yes, rammed" I reply

" Oh"

Andy

Perhaps you need to buy a Transit van?

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Perhaps you need to buy a Transit van?

Though I suspect that would get filled too. Though for crossing Germany quickly one of those Mercedes Sprinter vans would be good. They seem to be the fastest vehicles on the autobahn now. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Nyda went for another rest this afternoon.

I removed myself from the house, and gambolled into the garage (after first opening the doors!).

Whilst sorting through the bottom draw of the mobile tool chest, a place always good for illicit (as in banned from the house) substance, I came across two of Lidl's caramel bars (a sort of Mars bar clone).

Such  a joy to consume these with a cup of tea.

I am now required to quietly repent, and peel some potatoes!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I am in receipt of my first Christmas present. A daughter sent me a pair of socks. But not just any socks. These are electric socks. They have built in heating elements and rechargeable batteries.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3

12 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Though I suspect that would get filled too. Though for crossing Germany quickly one of those Mercedes Sprinter vans would be good. They seem to be the fastest vehicles on the autobahn now. 

It would . 

Yet again I've been holding up traffic at 102mph. 

There was Fiat Panda giving it a go too. 

You could almost hear the pistons screaming " let me out! let me out!"

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

7 minutes ago, SM42 said:

It would . 

Yet again I've been holding up traffic at 102mph. 

There was Fiat Panda giving it a go too. 

You could almost hear the pistons screaming " let me out! let me out!"

Andy

Your not peddling fast enough! Did you have your three shredded wheat this morning?

• Funny 11

12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nyda went for another rest this afternoon.

I removed myself from the house, and gambolled into the garage (after first opening the doors!).

Whilst sorting through the bottom draw of the mobile tool chest, a place always good for illicit (as in banned from the house) substance, I came across two of Lidl's caramel bars (a sort of Mars bar clone).

Such  a joy to consume these with a cup of tea.

I am now required to quietly repent, and peel some potatoes!

I usually have the Aldi equivalent, they're all much of a muchness, my nearest Lidl is inconveniently situated.

As for spuds, I rarely peel them nowadays, just dig out the eyes and scrape out any damaged bits.  Peeling only happens if mash is required.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I usually have the Aldi equivalent, they're all much of a muchness, my nearest Lidl is inconveniently situated.

As for spuds, I rarely peel them nowadays, just dig out the eyes and scrape out any damaged bits.  Peeling only happens if mash is required.

Mash was required for a fish pie.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Mash was required for a fish pie.

A popular dish in Scotland is, of course, mince and potatoes. I'm not sure how prevalent that is in other other places but if you do make it and you have a new-fangled electric pressure cooker you can easily take it to another level.

The trick is to brown the mince (ground beef) to get a Maillard reaction on a lot of it. Bung it in the pressure cooker on the "Brown" stetting, break it down and stir it a lot while it's browning. Keep going until it's just beginning to stick to the bowl and keep stirring it for a bit longer. That's the reaction you want. You want it on a lot of the surfaces of the beef because it really enhances the flavor.

After that add some stock and diced onion, chopped carrot if you wish and pressure cook on high for maybe 25 minutes.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Today's tasks involve, unloading the car, shopping, cleaning, putting up the Christmas decorations and with a bit of luck there my be some time for relaxing later 

Discussion on tree placement  has begun. 

I'm all for the easy option of standing it on the floor  the corner. 

Mrs SM42 has some complex plan about putting it on the table from the balcony, which will require more effort from me. 

I thought holidays are supposed to be relaxing. 

The only bright spot today will be that we are taking the in  laws shopping and that means there will be cake when we get back to theirs. 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

A popular dish in Scotland is, of course, mince and potatoes. I'm not sure how prevalent that is in other other places but if you do make it and you have a new-fangled electric pressure cooker you can easily take it to another level.

The trick is to brown the mince (ground beef) to get a Maillard reaction on a lot of it. Bung it in the pressure cooker on the "Brown" stetting, break it down and stir it a lot while it's browning. Keep going until it's just beginning to stick to the bowl and keep stirring it for a bit longer. That's the reaction you want. You want it on a lot of the surfaces of the beef because it really enhances the flavor.

After that add some stock and diced onion, chopped carrot if you wish and pressure cook on high for maybe 25 minutes.

A succinct set of instructions for tasty mince, but - perhaps sadly - tatties and mince has never appealed to me (possibly because every time I’ve encountered it, the mince has been watery and tasteless, and the potato was lumpy and gritty). On the other hand, there’s so many other foodstuffs from Scotland (apart from the eponymous single malt) I enjoy, that I don’t feel that I’m missing out. Lorne Sausage, Tattie Scones (if done well), Scotch Pies, Arbroath Smokies and - of course - Haggis!!! (which Mrs iD and I enjoy greatly. We regularly have tatties, neeps and Haggis with various whisky based sauces [the sauces an ongoing series of experiments to find the perfect one]).

Apart from Cranachan, Dundee Cake and the deep-fried Mars Bar, I’m not terribly familiar with Scottish puddings and sweets. Just as well I suppose - there’s usually not much space left after a Haggis supper.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Today's tasks involve, unloading the car, shopping, cleaning, putting up the Christmas decorations and with a bit of luck there my be some time for relaxing later 

OK who's bright idea was an extension lead without an earth pin?

Worse still no facilty to accommodate the earth pin the male end. 

Thus it cannot be plugged into anything. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, SM42 said:

OK who's bright idea was an extension lead without an earth pin?

Worse still no facilty to accommodate the earth pin the male end. 

Thus it cannot be plugged into anything. 

Andy

Obviously designed by a DCC acolyte who believes you only ever need two wires.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

After driving across Europe, I could probably cope with unloading the car and eating a light meal but nothing more strenuous. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Our Vax upright carpet cleaner started whining.  It never happens when Nyda is using it.

A close inspection has revealed one of the rotating brush bearings is giving up the ghost.

I know it will run on with an application of machine oil, but I know that the bearing needs replacing.

Information passed up the chain of command has suggested the Vax is now u/s until a replacement has been fitted.

I believe the message may have been corrupted during transmission.

Of course, it's fixable.  The bearing is rivetted to the spindle, so that needs to be drilled out and then a suitable replacement bearing purchased, inserted and re-secured.

It's a cheap enough repair, but does take up some time and effort.

Having checked the Vax website, a complete new assembly is very reasonably priced, so one has been ordered.

This has put the brakes on the pre Christmas cleaning frenzy, so a good result.

Or, perhaps more realistically, a temporary reprieve, until Nyda remembers we have a Cordless Vax in the garage, which I use for cleaning the car.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Friendly/supportive 14