Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I thought the Royal Navy had plenty of admirals. It was reported a while ago that they had more admirals than ships.

Two less now as they've taken two of them out of commission as they don't have enough 'tars' -is that sexist? to 'person' them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

59 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Two less now as they've taken two of them out of commission as they don't have enough 'tars' -is that sexist? to 'person' them.

Tars seems to be pretty safe.  "Carry on Jack" was on the telly over the christmas period and from that it seems that the Georgian Royal Navy was riddled with women pretending to be men...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

All three services have been struggling with recruitment for some years, the RN probably more than the others.  Eventually the "triangle" of promotion means there will be a restricted choice of senior officers for the top job.  Strangely though, our armed services are considered "over-officered" for forces their size, isn't it claimed there are more Brigadier-equivalents in the British Army than the USMC, although that is four times the size? I know when I worked as a grubby consultant - mostly with 2-3 striped officers from all services* - there were complaints of corridors in Northwood (and other locations) populated by senior officers in non-jobs to mark time and who should have been offered redundancy long ago.

*With only one or two exceptions, many of the most impressive people I have ever worked with, or for.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

It has often been noted that the NCOs run the British Army and are there to tell the "ruperts" what to do...

They are usually the most experienced so I believe having been nearest the sharp edge of the pointed stick.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

All three services have been struggling with recruitment for some years, the RN probably more than the others.  Eventually the "triangle" of promotion means there will be a restricted choice of senior officers for the top job.  Strangely though, our armed services are considered "over-officered" for forces their size, isn't it claimed there are more Brigadier-equivalents in the British Army than the USMC, although that is four times the size? I know when I worked as a grubby consultant - mostly with 2-3 striped officers from all services* - there were complaints of corridors in Northwood (and other locations) populated by senior officers in non-jobs to mark time and who should have been offered redundancy long ago.

*With only one or two exceptions, many of the most impressive people I have ever worked with, or for.

Perhaps they should reintroduce Press Gangs. There are a few city centres I could recommend.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Tars seems to be pretty safe.  "Carry on Jack" was on the telly over the christmas period and from that it seems that the Georgian Royal Navy was riddled with women pretending to be men...

As was the army.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

It has often been noted that the NCOs run the British Army and are there to tell the "ruperts" what to do...

To put that into  a sensible perspective, Those that go through Sandhurst are trained by very experienced SNCO's.

When they leave Sandhurst, and they join their Regiments, they are put in charge of a platoon/troop with another very experienced NCO as continuation training.

A lot of this stemmed from the harsh reality that the course at Sandhurst, which had been cut from 2 years in length, to a mere 6 months was not producing the goods. (Those officers doing a regular career course then did another 6 months which was purely academic, or returned within 2 years for this additional boost)  I believe the MoD finally admitted defeat on this, realising the shortfall in training, and the basic course in now much longer.

At one time there was another training school for officers called Mons.  This was specifically for those who had previous military service,  so was able to short cut certain elements of the training and put more emphasis on tactical training and leadership.  It was discontinued before my time at Sandhurst.

Just prior to my time there, I was sent on a 16 week education course, to further my academic skills:  I was one of 12 soldiers, ranging from Lcpl to Ssgt.

At the end of the course we all went off to the RMAS and joined a normal course and spent too much time doing drill and weapons training and learning how to look after our kit which we already knew.  The Ssgt, who was ex Hereford, didn't join us for the next 6 months, but instantly became a Capt and went on the course for a fortnight on 'How to behave in the Officer's Mess.' He then disappeared off to be very useful elsewhere.

I think one of the problems was the perception that some of the public schoolboy brigade was, having been pushed around at school and then pushed around at Sandhurst, they took it into their heads that they are expected to mess their soldiers around in the same manner as they have been treated for the past umpteen years.  Making the platoon stand on the square for two hours waiting for transport was supposed to be a lesson in how not to behave, and not how to treat your platoon!

Hence they were in desperate need of a guiding hand after they left Sandhurst to educate them into the subtleties of soldiering in the real world.

Rupert =  from school/university straight to RMAS

Rodney = from school to Army then served in an operational unit prior to attending RMAS.

I presume the RN and RAF have similar schemes.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday afternoon saw a game of two halves being played in the garage/workshop/woodworking shed.

The first half involved the clearing of areas and the removal of stuff destined for the recycling centre.

The second half seems to be finding stuff to fill up the recently cleared areas.

I'm sure that there has been a vast improvement, but it looks worse than when I started.

Gone are the days when having a sort out meant sitting with a couple of tins, and sizing various BA nuts, screws and washers.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon I did go into the garage and workshop, but only did a little bit of light clearing.

It was very cold so I retired to the house for a cup of tea and some Bara Brith.

Suitably refreshed I was able to connect my PC and other wi fi items to the FFTP broadband which is now up and running.

It's making quite a difference.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

30 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

This afternoon I did go into the garage and workshop, but only did a little bit of light clearing.

It was very cold so I retired to the house for a cup of tea and some Bara Brith.

Suitably refreshed I was able to connect my PC and other wi fi items to the FFTP broadband which is now up and running.

It's making quite a difference.

Indeed it does. We got lucky. Some years ago there was a major development with golf courses and expensive houses just along the lake from here so they installed fiber. Whopping big files download in no time at all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Indeed it does. We got lucky. Some years ago there was a major development with golf courses and expensive houses just along the lake from here so they installed fiber. Whopping big files download in no time at all.

If only

SM42 Towers is at the end of a long bit of copper. 

Takes about 3 days to upload 500 photo files to the cloud. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2024 at 17:08, pH said:

My paint collection isn’t bad. I think most of them are colours still on active display somewhere in or on the house.

Timber and wood is a different matter. A lot of it is being kept “just in case” and my wife thinks that could be dumped. The problem is that “just in case” does sometimes happen. For example, today, at my wife’s request, I am going to use one foot length of a 6x4 timber, which has been kept for at least two years. 

When (if?) we downsize, a lot of stuff is going to the tip. In the meantime …

There is a TNM'er (you know who you are) that only requires one colour to be kept "just in case"

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, br2975 said:

All topped off by an Easyjet touch down at Bristol, at 18:40 and being home in the house in Cardiff within an hour and forty minutes (sticking to Welsh speed limits !)

No doubt it would have taken longer to have got back home from Rhoose if you were to remain within the speed limits🤣.

I'm glad you all had a good time.

Only this afternoon I was admiring the full length of the br2975 Memorial Train.  It just needs a brake van now.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Only this afternoon I was admiring the full length of the br2975 Memorial Train.  It just needs a brake van now.

Sadly, a 7mm 'Toad' is somethng I never got around to; being a hindrance for my then 'Timesaver' layout.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

Sadly, a 7mm 'Toad' is something I never got around to; being a hindrance for my then 'Timesaver' layout.

Since I have the same number of brake vans as I have pannier tanks, a van reallocation for the new formation of stock should not pose much of a real problem.

The truth is, I have much more stock than railway.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Since I have the same number of brake vans as I have pannier tanks, a van reallocation for the new formation of stock should not pose much of a real problem.

The truth is, I have much more stock than railway.

I think you are not alone!

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

At present, I have zero usable model railway and far too much in the way of locos and rolling stock...

And I'd rather not talk about the number of scales I'm dabbling with!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7