Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

40 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Moving away from.church matters before we get locked, the tidying is going slowly 

Not helped by staying up to watch a film till nearly 3 am  which then necessitated a late start this morning. 

Most of what was left of the morning was taken up with bureaucracy and food shopping. 

Mrs SM42 has yet to turn in to a tidying  whirling dervish and thoughts are turning already  to getting  dinner on.  

On the bright side I found a Rail Polska M62M I'd forgotten I'd bought. 

Andy

Two questions Andy. What does it taste like and will there be enough for a second helping.

Oh almost forgot will you be having it with Fresh Flour?

• Funny 5

31 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Flavio's Folterkammer. 

image.png.a14d75655a0ba510c3718fb1d0e4c8e0.png

The other side of his modelling room and workshop:

I reckon I'll have to give it up, it's just getting too expensive for words.

Lead acid batteries are getting impossible to find, jumper cables and  crocodile clamps are not as good as they used to be and you won't believe the cost of even an entry level digital neural stimulator.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Early up this morning to take our next door neighbour's son out for some driving practice before his driving test at the end of the month.

I'm not impressed with the quality of his emerges, especially the rather(to my mind) bad habit of relying on balancing the car using the accelerator and the clutch pedal.  the use of the handbrake does not seem to be in his vocabulary:  Having said that, I will question what he has been taught by his instructor.

Point number two was getting him onto the A41 and expect him to drive at the road speeds at national speed limit of 60 and 70 mph respectively.

He has never done this, yet his instructor feels he's test ready.

That may be so, but he's certainly not ready to undertake solo journeys on unfamiliar roads.

This afternoon was spent in the workshop, picking up all the sub 1 mm drills I spilt over the bench just before Christmas.

It was too cold to start sorting them into their 0.1 mm increments.

Tell me about it HH. We get quite a few learners round here- ideal as we have wide streets, so sometimes you can pass multiple ones. We get everything from kangerooing, sudden stopping and half in half out corning. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

About seven years ago a learner driver and his mate (who was also a learner) nicked his dad's car and went for a joyride without L plates on. They came down our road in a 30mph zone at a speed estimated from the skid marks of about 80mph , the driver lost it on a slight bend and they departed into our next door but one neighbours' garden, scattering garden wall bricks around like heavy shrapnel before becoming a new piece of furniture in the front room. Amazingly no one was seriously hurt but it took the neighbours nearly two years to get any recompense because the car insurance company refused to take any part in the proceedings and eventually it was their own house insurers that had to pick up the tab but only after the ombudsman (I think) became involved. The last I heard was that the car's owner was being taken to court by the insurers but don't know what the outcome was. 

Dave

Perhaps if they were branded across the forehead with the words 'car thief', they might think twice about doing it again.  It would certainly help to ascertain their character(s) when applying for jobs/benefits/insurance etc.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

One for the panel, please.

Looking for any advice regarding a display cabinet for - yes - trains in the lounge!!  Suggested, by the boss - really!  I'm thinking wall mounted, shallow, landscape format sort of thing, maybe acrylic or glass.  There's one maker (DSC) popped up via Google, pricey.

Does anyone have such a thing or any experience of suppliers?  May be one for my friendly carpenter, but its not really his bag.  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Perhaps if they were branded across the forehead with the words 'car thief', they might think twice about doing it again.  It would certainly help to ascertain their character(s) when applying for jobs/benefits/insurance etc.

It would be a trophy - like ASBO's, they thought it was funny to have one to boast about.  What they hate, is restorative justice.  ie WORK.  Repairing what they damage or vandalise, in their drinking time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

But then they could move to Telfland and wear the brands like badges of honour.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It would be a trophy - like ASBO's, they thought it was funny to have one to boast about.  What they hate, is restorative justice.  ie WORK.  Repairing what they damage or vandalise, in their drinking time.

Perhaps the branding/wording could be more generic such as Stupid **** (please add you own...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

51 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Looking for any advice regarding a display cabinet for - yes - trains in the lounge!!  Suggested, by the boss - really!  I'm thinking wall mounted, shallow, landscape format sort of thing, maybe acrylic or glass.  There's one maker (DSC) popped up via Google, pricey.

Does anyone have such a thing or any experience of suppliers?  May be one for my friendly carpenter, but its not really his bag.  

I think that a lot will depend on what sort of display cabinet you want and buy this I mean whether or not you want the display to be permanent (in other words trains on display cannot be easily removed and the display case, to all intents and purposes, sealed ) or semipermanent (inasmuch as it is easy to open the cabinet and remove the trains whenever you wish.

The permanent display cabinet I believe is easier to make and if made properly will keep your trains dust free for as long as the cabinet remains closed. Whereas a semipermanent display case will need to have some sort of hinge assembly (concealed or visible) that will allow you to open the glass front and get to the trains. And whilst you can make opening cabinets dust free to do so (from what I understand) will increase the price.

One alternative to either of the above are clear plastic/plexiglass display tubes mounted on a rack which in turn is mounted on the wall. If I recall correctly, these are made by a number of German companies and the tubes come in different lengths  (and diameters) and some have track running along the bottom of the storage tube. 

Unfortunately I cannot be more informative than that, as I read about this clear plastic tube display system in a Swiss model railway magazine quite a few years ago. Perhaps others on TNM may know more.

• Informative/Useful 11

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I would be interested in the replies - I’m looking for the same thing - except I’m an ocean and a continent further west, so they aren’t likely to be particularly relevant!

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Confession Time.

Last week (or perhaps the week before) there was a series of posts about TNMs range of scales/ gauges/ prototypes etc. I was busy at the time so could not join in, so here goes ...

My muddling has taken a 'back seat' recently in favour of me collecting diecast, cast iron, card, glass trains. I'm sure most of you will know Lone Star or the Dinky A4s, so apart from them Tootsietoy from the 30s Cast Iron Wallwork from the 1890s and a other curiosities like the Main Line fish like 'thing', green Bakalite body, 3rd rail pick up, driven by a coil pulling on plates in 'the 4ft', speed controlled by the mark-space ratio of insulation on 3rd rail! Scroll back to June 23 or search for Main Line in Collectable/ Vintage for more info.

Anyway, some of this collection is in glass, wall-mounted cabinets in the Dining Room, I have to compete for space, SWMBO collects Teddy Bears, including 30+ Cookie Jars around the top of the Kitchen Cabinets.

Confession over   

20240120_215431.jpg

20240120_215440.jpg

20211217_173851.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2024 at 21:12, Northmoor said:

A few years ago I was stopped at Toddington Services Southbound on the M1 and watched a small group unrolling prayer mats in a couple of parking spaces.  I thought fair play to them, it's time for prayers, so they weren't going to let being on the edge of a car park about twenty feet from the hard shoulder of the M1, put them off.  Perhaps though, I should have intervened when it became obvious that they'd got their directions mixed up and instead of facing Mecca, they were praying towards Milton Keynes.

Maybe it was the Mecca bingo hall in MK they were facing?

(Wait for someone to say that MK never had a Mecca bingo)

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition.

No - but we do sometimes get a look in from the Stafford Inquistion.

(I think that's where He lives....)

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

you won't believe the cost of even an entry level digital neural stimulator.

These aren't that expensive.

image.png.3efb0ed2f68b879ade4b948d864d8e39.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

12 minutes ago, newbryford said:

These aren't that expensive.

image.png.3efb0ed2f68b879ade4b948d864d8e39.png

I seem to many years ago reading something about how much the Pentagon paid for a hammer compared to one bought in a 'shop'. It was quite a lot dearer. Perhaps our Swiss correspondent has similar problems.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I seem to many years ago reading something about how much the Pentagon paid for a hammer compared to one bought in a 'shop'. It was quite a lot dearer. Perhaps our Swiss correspondent has similar problems.

Isn't that the same for any item supplied to a government department - regardless of nation?

• Agree 8

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I reckon I'll have to give it up, it's just getting too expensive for words.

Lead acid batteries are getting impossible to find, jumper cables and  crocodile clamps are not as good as they used to be and you won't believe the cost of even an entry level digital neural stimulator.

You will need at least five 12 volt batteries to get any sort of reaction 🤣

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2