Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Interesting workshop in London today:

IMG_4510.jpeg.efbb7149d02cd86d52b9c959841ae124.jpeg

How to get a head of the competition!

Well, as the hat-maker ad used to say,

"If you want to get a hat, get a head".

(or maybe it was the other way round. I can never remember 🤔)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

A terrifying example of the degeneration of H. Sapiens.  We're running out of jaw-jaw, that's why there's more war-war....

• Funny 10

Morning All,

A splendid time was had yesterday at the Consultants Group meeting at The Royal College of Surgeons, a day which included a tour of the Hunterian museum (John and William Hunter were famous Georgian/Enlightenment Anatomists). John Hunter collected 22,000 human and animal specimens (sadly, a lot were lost when the RCS was bombed in WWII).

IMG_4509.jpeg.5dd2aee6609431d5f6b66ae7994a20ea.jpeg

It's an amazing collection (perhaps not for the squeamish) and the collection has been rehoused from the first floor to the ground floor. Unfortunately, like most "updated" museums nowadays, a lot of the museum's collection is now in storage - being replaced by audiovisual "features" telling "a narrative". It's also gone "woke" not only with exhibit labels informing us how wrong our forefathers were but also with trigger warnings appearing at the museum entrance and on the museum plan leaflet. Specifically, "Please be aware that the museum contains anatomical specimens including human foetuses"

It's an anatomical museum featuring a collection of specimens which was also used (up until sometime last century) to train physicians  What are people expecting? Cuddly toys?

One of my colleagues (a semi-retired Gynaecological Surgeon) was of the opinion that the museum curators were "being a bit precious"

Nonetheless, a fascinating museum and well worth the detour if you are in the Lincoln Inn's Field/Holborn area.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

16 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A splendid time was had yesterday at the Consultants Group meeting at The Royal College of Surgeons, a day which included a tour of the Hunterian museum (John and William Hunter were famous Georgian/Enlightenment Anatomists). John Hunter collected 22,000 human and animal specimens (sadly, a lot were lost when the RCS was bombed in WWII).

Ah, the ‘other’ Hunterian Museum! It is based on the collections of John Hunter.

William Hunter’s collections were bequeathed to the University of Glasgow, where he had studied:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunterian_Museum_and_Art_Gallery

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Morning All,

IMG_4509.jpeg.5dd2aee6609431d5f6b66ae7994a20ea.jpeg

It's an amazing collection (perhaps not for the squeamish) and the collection has been rehoused from the first floor to the ground floor. Unfortunately, like most "updated" museums nowadays, a lot of the museum's collection is now in storage - being replaced by audiovisual "features" telling "a narrative". It's also gone "woke" not only with exhibit labels informing us how wrong our forefathers were but also with trigger warnings appearing at the museum entrance and on the museum plan leaflet. Specifically, "Please be aware that the museum contains anatomical specimens including human foetuses"

It's an anatomical museum featuring a collection of specimens which was also used (up until sometime last century) to train physicians  What are people expecting? Cuddly toys?

One of my colleagues (a semi-retired Gynaecological Surgeon) was of the opinion that the museum curators were "being a bit precious"

Nonetheless, a fascinating museum and well worth the detour if you are in the Lincoln Inn's Field/Holborn area.

Flavio is the surgeons guild hall still on London Wall or has it relocated.

This used to be my 'patch' many, many,many years ago when i worked for the City. The Barbican was just behind the hall and I had to come up for a planting design for the podium area.

• Like 8

I think that the Surgeon's Guildhall is a separate entity to the RCS. The RCS has been at Lincon Inn's Fields since 1797, though the facade designed by Sir Charles Barry dates from 1855 (and is listed).

The RCS "modernised" the interior recently, turning what I thought was a magnificent wood panelled building into what I can only describe as "Corporate HQ Bland" (same as happened with the Royal Society of Medicine's building on Wimpole Street).

There's a lot certain British architects could learn from the Italians when it comes to sensitively modernising the interiors of historic buildings!

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I just had another thought.

Does this mean that if we peel back the skin of our forehead, we can locate our HSIN?  (H. Sapiens Identification Number)

Its not a handy place to put it!

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Does this mean that if we peel back the skin of our forehead, we can locate our HSIN?  (H. Sapiens Identification Number)

I can think of another anatomical zone where you could do similar and uncover a number if it needed displaying.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I can think of another anatomical zone where you could do similar and uncover a number if it needed displaying.

Not if you're Jewish or Muslim.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Somewhat disappointing news from my hospital appointment yesterday afternoon.

The LST procedure I had last year in an attempt to lower the ocular pressure in my eyes was only marginally successful.

Yes, the pressures are down, but only slightly, and certainly not as much as the consultant (and I) would like.

So it's back onto the extra eye drops, whilst I await a further laser treatment.

To be fair, I was advised at the very start of this, that it might take two or three sessions to achieve a satisfactory result.

Personally, I think the eyes are clamouring for the attention given to my finger, who still awaits round two of the errant nail fragments removal. 

What is strange is the increased sensitivity of the area around where the nails are growing through the top of the finger and the nearby 'tip'.

My sister suffers from a similar condition (glaucoma) and has had 'drains' installed in each eye to relieve the pressure. She will eventually go blind but at the moment is allowed to keep her driving licence.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Presumably the denizens of Telfland have bar codes as they spend so much time behind them (bars that is)

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Presumably you'd need an identifier to clarify if the number was metric or imperial!

• Funny 9

37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Presumably the denizens of Telfland have bar codes as they spend so much time behind them (bars that is)

They're more likely to have externally fitted tags for frequent examination.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

Or a roundhead.

Giggle! Reminds me of a quote from Drop The Dead Donkey. A colleague was believed to have passed-on, and was eulogised as "A cavalier among pork-swordsmen"!

• Funny 12