Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

With both of us having been police officers we have to be careful at times in company. 

Jamie

For some reason I had this image of you and Beth both battering Mr Punch in a Punch and Judy booth.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

"seem to be the railway equivalent of the bloke who - older, but perhaps no wiser - still wears polyester flares, Hawaiian shirts, gold medallions and platform shoes. Not the most elegant of items even back in their heyday in the 70s, and definitely fugly today."

What exactly is yer point laddie?

😄😄😄

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Plus the upper Spen Valley and a couple of village between Pontefract and Barnsley. 

Jamie

Or Lewis

• Funny 4

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

"seem to be the railway equivalent of the bloke who - older, but perhaps no wiser - still wears polyester flares, Hawaiian shirts, gold medallions and platform shoes. Not the most elegant of items even back in their heyday in the 70s, and definitely fugly today."

What exactly is yer point laddie?

😄😄😄

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

I decided I need a new pair of gegs (Gregory Pecs) so I went to the optician last Friday. He told me the real problem is a cataract in my left eye and set me up with an appointment with an opthalmic surgeon.

That happened yesterday and the appointment for cataract surgery is on Tuesday. The best bit is it's all covered by Medicare and my supplemental insurance (which is not at all expensive.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That happened yesterday and the appointment for cataract surgery is on Tuesday. 

Good luck with that.  It's a very quick and easy operation.

You won't be allowed to drive home afterwards as your new eye will not want to play so soon after the lens has been replaced:  Mine didn't want to work in concert with my other eye either.

We drove home in the dark and with all the street lights* and car lights flashing by, which were all out of focus, it was what I should imagine a psychedelic trip would look like.

*Living in deepest Idaho, do you even know what a street light looks like?

• Like 8
  • Funny 8

20 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Mornington Crescent,

Same here, but I'm in Tsk, Tsk mode that there was no option to select the Mildmay line as my favourite. The Northern is distinctly not the same.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Flanged Wheel said:

I was in the Navy and my wife was a youth pastor for a church - I really needed to remember what was appropriate and where…!

Over the years I've known quite a few mission to seamen padres (P&OCL used to carry them to overseas postings if they fancied a sea voyage) and they were splendid fellows, they combined their pastoral duties with a certain worldliness not perhaps typical for the clergy........

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

*Living in deepest Idaho, do you even know what a street light looks like?

Not required here. We have tracer bullets.

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

This soldier has not been to the All Arms Drill Instructor's course at The Guards Division, Pirbright

The staff at Pirbright would probably be quite pleased he hasn't....

"Do Do Do the Funky Turkey....."

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Or Lewis

Unfortunately one of their exports gave birth to a son in the US

30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The staff at Pirbright would probably be quite pleased he hasn't....

"Do Do Do the Funky Turkey....."

One of my former Inspectors had been the senior NCO at Pirbright.  One afternoon at Elland Road a serving Coldstream ER was arrested and brought into the charge office under the stand.  The Desk Sgt had also been in the Coldstreams and told the Inspector.  It is alleged that Roy's voice could be heard above the roar of the crowd as he put the unfortunate young man through a drilroutine that reduced hito a quivering wreck in no time.  Roy was a great boss. 

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, coastalview said:

Going through some old photos this afternoon  and came across this shot from the Severn Valley Railway almost exactly 21 years ago.

It is I believe Taff  Vale No 85  and I had completely forgotten I had taken it as it was in the wrong folder.

I thought it might be of interest to a number of our brethren.

20030316-PICT0023-Edit.jpg.558fa98dc3ba24690bbab47a0fc81ca7.jpg

If it weren't for the chap on the platform, that photo could have been taken in 1924

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, coastalview said:

Going through some old photos this afternoon  and came across this shot from the Severn Valley Railway almost exactly 21 years ago.

It is I believe Taff  Vale No 85  and I had completely forgotten I had taken it as it was in the wrong folder.

I thought it might be of interest to a number of our brethren.

20030316-PICT0023-Edit.jpg.558fa98dc3ba24690bbab47a0fc81ca7.jpg

What kind of coaches are they? I am somewhat familiar with BR MK1s and those are not as far as I can tell.

• Like 5

Oh fudge.

A certain northern emporium were a little tardy on dispatch and so my cunning plan to have a parcel arrive yesterday, when Mrs SM42 was out, was foiled. 

I sit here looking at a box that Mrs SM42 took in earlier before leaving for church and before I got home from work.

There will be an interrogation later no doubt. 

I suppose I could hide it and deny all knowledge. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

What kind of coaches are they? I am somewhat familiar with BR MK1s and those are not as far as I can tell.

As Chris has mentioned above, one is 9055, which was a one off top light  saloon, and the other is also a top light all 3rd No 3930 which was built in 1915.

I am no expert on coaches and can only identify those two by the livery they are carrying which is the GWR 1922-27 style.

The late Chris Foren who used to frequent these pages, could have given us all chapter and verse on these coaches, and would also have identified the tail end Charlie in the later (simpler) livery.

47 minutes ago, coastalview said:

I might have a go at getting rid of him some time lol

I have guns if that would help?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I am somewhat familiar with BR MK1s and those are not as far as I can tell.

This might help you with the BR(W)/GWR coaching fleet prior to the start of the introduction of the BR Mk1 series in 1951.

https://gwrcoaches.org.uk/

I presume all the other pre nationalisation railways will be similarly covered, but I have even less knowledge of their coaching stock and rely on those here who have the requisite knowledge should I need to enquire.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

London transport used to take industrial design very seriously. Not just the headline stuff like rolling stock and buses but things like font, seat material, posters, station buildings. Rather sad to see where it's at now.

Sad that you think that as we (TfL) do still devote a great deal of effort into these things.  The Johnson font is still our standard (and believe me that standard is detailed) seat materials are individually designed for each line*, our newer stations are pretty much all architecturally individual - there's no standard (yet still staggeringly expensive) glass and metal box that most new main line stations get - with features that reflect their location.  Have you taken a close look at the stations on the JLE, NLE or Elizabeth Line?  Every one of them is built to accommodate growth and up to a standard, not down to a price, which was the mistake made with the Victoria line in the late 1960s.  As for the roundel logo, a small team is kept busy clamping down on unauthorised use as it's considered one of the most recognisable logos in the world.

*Those seat materials must be attractive to many, judging by how much is made by the LT Museum selling souvenirs made from them.  Remember LU is one of very few Metro systems in the world that has upholstered seats.  Every so often some smart@ss one comes along and announces they've worked out how much money could be saved by fitting hard plastic seats, but fortunately, every Mayor regardless of Party affiliation supports the idea that ambience is worth paying for and trains you can hose out at the end of the day, aren't desirable. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

Or Lewis

Where my cleaner grew up, before they moved to Balerno. Sherry and I are on a cruise that visits Stornoway in May. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

According to one of my colleagues, who was a junior doctor in Norfolk during her early career, polydactyly was not unknown

Didn't Marc Chagall paint a "self portrait with 7 fingers"?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Didn't Marc Chagall paint a "self portrait with 7 fingers"?

Yes, he did. Interesting fact - Tudeley church in rural Kent has all 12 stained glass windows by that artist. Commissioned over the years by the parents of Sarah Venetia d’Avigdor-Goldsmid, who, aged 21, died in a sailing accident in 1963. I visited once when one more had just been installed. Railway fact - Tudeley has a track-paralleling hut (used between sub-stations). 

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2