Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Tips too? I recall reading about a small (comparatively) cruise ship that the passengers did not tip; company policy, the crew was very well paid.

I did have an offer of working on one a few years back. Sailing around the Caribbean, Florida, Gulf of Mexico, etc. for most of the year. Very well paid.

Then I found out the ships were totally dry for crew and they are very strict about it!

Let's just say they were a Mickey Mouse firm....

🐭

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

I do have some painting jobs to do in the motherland. 

Andy

Will you be taking the Fresh Flower with you or do you have a supply already in the Motherland.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I have just uploaded over 700 images of model railways, taken at exhibitions over the last 16 years, to my Flickr account.  I now need to go through them all and identify every layout; the recent ones will be easy but older ones will need me to delve through exhibition guides.  It's going to take days (spread over months)..... what have I done? 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Will you be taking the Fresh Flower with you or do you have a supply already in the Motherland.

I am sure there must be lovely paints available in Poland. I wonder if there are other typically British items that are appreciated there. 
My nephews partner is Austrian.  They live in Switzerland. Visitors from the UK try to remember to take her British chocolate and multi flavour crisps. I think she came to like them when she was in Durham for a year. 

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

I am sure there must be lovely paints available in Poland. I wonder if there are other typically British items that are appreciated there. 
My nephews partner is Austrian.  They live in Switzerland. Visitors from the UK try to remember to take her British chocolate and multi flavour crisps. I think she came to like them when she was in Durham for a year. 

Probably but they won't be proper fresh flower just not the same.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Probably but they won't be proper fresh flower just not the same.

It looks like magnolia to me anyway so I can’t really comment. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oddly no. 

To go with foreign and exotic climes, I shall be using exotic colours like terracotta for the ambiance. 

As this will be an outdoor job, I will need decent weather. It may not happen till later in the year.  

Andy

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

38 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

PG Tips tea and shortbread are quite popular with the in laws. 

Andy

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Eccles Cakes  are always welcome in The Charente.  Strangely enough we did find some Mint Jelly, another regular request, in a bargain store called Noz. 

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Eccles Cakes  are always welcome in The Charente. 

Good Eccles cakes are one of the foods of the gods and there used to be a market stall in town that sold very good home made ones. Alas, that is no longer the case so recently I bought some from Morrisons; there was a similarity in the spelling on the packet but that was as far as it went and otherwise there was little resemblance. Such a disappointment.

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

48 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

When I worked in America the standard requests for British foods among the expats were chocolate, tea and Marmite.

Dave

One son worked for an Australian mining company, and was based in Brisbane for a while. He had to visit a site in Laos, and took a significant amount of TimTams in his luggage for the Australian expats working there. Apparently, not doing so could almost be considered grounds for dismissal.

(TimTams are chocolate biscuits. They closely resemble Penguin biscuits, though Australians will vehemently deny this.)

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, SM42 said:

Oddly no. 

To go with foreign and exotic climes, I shall be using exotic colours like terracotta for the ambiance. 

As this will be an outdoor job, I will need decent weather. It may not happen till later in the year.  

Andy

Oh does this mean we can call you an exotic painter then.

Polish Andy the Exotic Painter.

I'm not going to ask where you put your tips.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, SM42 said:

........ I shall be using exotic colours like terracotta for the ambiance. 

Initially I read that as "terracotta for the ambulance" and wondered why in God's name would the Poles paint their ambulances terracotta?

Dave

• Funny 15

Well this is a good day. 

All jobs that can be done have been done except one, which I shall start on shortly. Just need to find the silicon sealer.  

Whilst looking for my glasses in my work bag I also found a long forgotten chocolate bar 

Bonus!

Andy 

Happy bunny full of chocolate. 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

Found the silicon. 

It's gone off, so there's a job that can wait till after Easter. 

Never mind.

There was bonus chocolate to take the edge off the disappointment. 

Andy 

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

One can imagine how quickly a family garden party descends into total chaos.

Well, the hippo is one of the most dangerous animals you could wish (not) to meet. Having them at a family garden party smacks of either extreme carelessness or a not so subtle way of getting rid of annoying relatives - permanently.

Dave

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I watched 'Beyond Paradise' earlier this evening, FYI it was filmed on the Dart Valley Railway and featured GWR Prairie 5527.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2