Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I take it you are not a fan of those lovable mop-tops, the fab four, The Beatles.

Far from it. Yellow Submarine was the first piece of popular music of which I was really aware, though it was not until quite a few years later that I learned that it was by the Beatles. I wasn't two when it came out. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, pH said:

I think the third volume may be:
‘Modernity Britain: 1957-1962’.

It was apparently later split into two books:

Modernity Britain: Book One: Opening the Box, 1957-1959 

Modernity Britain: Book Two: A Shake of the Dice, 1959-62 

AUSTERITY is in at least two books; in the one that I have, they is bound into one volume.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I take it you are not a fan of those lovable mop-tops, the fab four, The Beatles.

No, I am not. To me, the "Fab Four" is The Ventures!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Has anyone else watched the  Changing of the Guard with the French Guarde Republican and the Grenadier Guards in London and Paris,  I was once told that the Guards bearskins were initially looted from the field at Waterloo after large numbers of the Imperial Guard no longer had a need for theirs,  I wonder if this was mentioned today in the spirit of the Entente Cordial. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Has anyone else watched the  Changing of the Guard with the French Guarde Republican and the Grenadier Guards in London and Paris,  I was once told that the Guards bearskins were initially looted from the field at Waterloo after large numbers of the Imperial Guard no longer had a need for theirs,  I wonder if this was mentioed today in the spirit of the Entente Cordial. 

Jamie

I did watch some video of both events. I still can’t get used to Prince Edward being the Duke of Edinburgh though. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I did watch some video of both events. I still can’t get used to Prince Edward being the Duke of Edinburgh though. 

Perhaps it would be easier if you thought of him as De Juke of Eatin' Burgers

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Perhaps it would be easier if you thought of him as De Juke of Eatin' Burgers

That would probably help, though one of his siblings prefers pizza.

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

Three guesses what- road works are back. Having lulled us into a false sense of security by removing them over Easter they are back with a vengeance.

I think somebody must have worked out that there's the possibility of breaking the record for how many lots of works they can do over twelve months.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

According to the Essex County Council Live Traffic Map there should be roadworks going on in my street but there's none as far as I can see. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2024 at 09:18, Happy Hippo said:

Hoy! Ramrod.

Remember squeezing into these little beauties?

https://fb.watch/rjnSWUOzDi/

Certainly do HH but if we were caught hanging a bone dome on the pitot head, as someone has done with the Yellowjacks aircraft, we'd have been reamed a new orifice.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Certainly do HH but if we were caught hanging a bone dome on the pitot head, as someone has done with the Yellowjacks aircraft, we'd have been reamed a new orifice.

Dave

Yes, I can just imagine 'Chiefie'  gently reminding the delinquent, that HIS aeroplane, is not a young idiot's hatstand

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a brilliant walk-in eye clinic at Shrewsbury hospital where I went one evening after getting a small glass splinter in my eye. I was seen within minutes and discharged after about an hour with the splinter removed, the eye washed out and antibiotic drops both prescribed and dispensed. That was about 20 years ago. Today there is no such service. Progress??

Dave 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

There used to be a brilliant walk-in eye clinic at Shrewsbury hospital where I went one evening after getting a small glass splinter in my eye. I was seen within minutes and discharged after about an hour with the splinter removed, the eye washed out and antibiotic drops both prescribed and dispensed. That was about 20 years ago. Today there is no such service. Progress??

Dave 

Yes the walk in clinic has long gone.  You only now get to urgent eye care via referral from a medical professional. Optician/GP (Ha Ha) or A&E.

I did have the direct line for the clinic after I'd had my retinal tear, and used it once.  What I was able to do after a consultation with the triage sister, was to book an appointment for later in the day, rather than turn up and spend x hours sitting on a hard uncomfortable chair in the waiting room.

You are welcome to call by on your way to, or from, PRH on Thursday.

I have a tin of bully beef and a can of beans I can feed you.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

*  If you have eye issues in Shropshire it is either straight to A&E or a visit to the optician first, who will refer you to the Ophthalmic urgent eye care clinic.  GPs do not get involved in ocular matters.

Gotta problem with your lug 'oles in Bearsville that require syringing?  Well forget the Docs now - all they do is suggest you visit the local (private) clinic - and that'll cost you seventy quid..... 

Bear's Buddy (who has a history of iffy lug 'oles and hasn't worked for many years after being hit by a Tw@t riding a Beemer who jumped the lights in Paris) has been caught by this numerous times and as you can imagine isn't exactly flush with cash (he gave up claiming benefits years ago because of all the b.s. and red tape they were giving him).

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Purely coincidentally, a friend who works at Telfland hospital as a senior clinical radiographer has just told us that she has handed in her notice as she is so fed up with the incompetence and mismanagement she has to put up with on a daily basis.

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

I once presented at A&E way back when in the North-east, with something in my eye that I couldn't shift - the young house officer (as they were then) did the usual spiel then asked what I thought it may be. I told him it was coal, and he got a bit stroppy, asking 'how on earth I thought I could be so specific' - so I told him I was driving a steam engine at the time it went in......LOL, shut the buqqer up for a while!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I once presented at A&E way back when in the North-east, with something in my eye that I couldn't shift - the young house officer (as they were then) did the usual spiel then asked what I thought it may be. I told him it was coal, and he got a bit stroppy, asking 'how on earth I thought I could be so specific' - so I told him I was driving a steam engine at the time it went in......LOL, shut the buqqer up for a while!

If your fireman mistook your face for the fire hole you should have taken him along to the ophthalmic clinic at the same time!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16