Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, polybear said:

Babypoo brown.

Babies first poo are usually green…

Edited by Tony_S
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Yucca? Thats a ruddy Triffid!

They get very territorial, you know....

It grows fishing rods in the summer - that's what they look like anyway.

The loco colour is described as 'tan', it is rather darker in fact than digital photography renders it, which is more akin to IEGreen.

For @Winslow Boy there is also a New Zealand Furry Tea Tree and an Australian Fuscia in that corner, as well as the South American Yucca-ry thing.  Very cosmopolitan here doncha know.

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It grows fishing rods in the summer - that's what they look like anyway.

The loco colour is described as 'tan', it is rather darker in fact than digital photography renders it, which is more akin to IEGreen.

For @Winslow Boy there is also a New Zealand Furry Tea Tree and an Australian Fuscia in that corner, as well as the South American Yucca-ry thing.  Very cosmopolitan here doncha know.

Much appreciated Neil nothing like a bit of the exotic to make a day more pleasant.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

WHOOAA....

Far too much information......

I have no idea about baby bears though…

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

If you go down to the woods today...

Bear knows some alternative words to that one.....  😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'm sure Bear does...

I am sure people of my age only know the lyrics as approved by Uncle Mac on Children’s Favourites as broadcast on the BBC Light Programme on Saturday mornings.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am sure people of my age only know the lyrics as approved by Uncle Mac on Children’s Favourites as broadcast on the BBC Light Programme on Saturday mornings.

Is there an "Uncle Frank" and "Auntie Flo" in it?

• Funny 8

What pleasant day today  made all the better by the the weather. 

First stop, drop Mrs SM42 in Calne Town centre and then head to the exhibition. 

Not too big a show ( so not there for long to give more time for other stuff) but some good layouts there and it was especially nice to re acquaint myself with Oldshaw. 

I first saw this layout in Cheltenham ( I think on its debut)  and had to have it at our show the following year. 

Still looks as good as the day I first saw it. 

Next it was collect Mrs SM42 and then to Devizes for a couple of hours to mooch round the town, then head off to find a white horse en route to Marlborough for another mooch about. 

Finally dinner at a pub outside Worcester and now we are home and cake is about to be served. 

Can it get any better?

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
On 12/04/2024 at 10:51, PhilJ W said:

Green or red locomotives are far too common. They should be aquamarine blue with vermillion lining and connecting rods. Having lit the 'blue' touch paper I shall now retire.

Green, blue or black* is the correct colour for locomotives but each colour MUST be of the correct shade and red (of the correct "Indian" shade) should of course be reserved for the wheels of blue locomotives 😀

* Three contrasting shades of grey (emulating "silver") are of course eminently suitably alternatives for certain locomotives.

Simple really .....

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Green, blue or black* is the correct colour for locomotives but each colour MUST be of the correct shade and red (of the correct "Indian" shade) should of course be reserved for the wheels of blue locomotives 😀

* Three contrasting shades of grey (emulating "silver") are of course eminently suitably alternatives for certain locomotives.

Simple really .....

Ah, a fan of the Galloping Sausages!

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Thomas the Tank Engine has blue wheels not red.

I rest my case ...

• Funny 11

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ah, a fan of the Galloping Sausages!

Just goes to show it takes all sorts. Personally I prefer the yellow ones with the liquorice in the middle.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

The subject of locomotive colours is notoriously subjective and whilst my preference in overall locomotive types predisposes me towards crimson lake, I do think that there are definite colours that suit  those from other establishments. For instance, middle chrome green is really the only colour for Swindon’s products (best of all when combined with red framing), which is brought home when one looks at the awful ‘Hogwarts’ scheme that just looks all wrong. It is also undoubtable to my mind that Perth blue and crimson on a Caledonian engine and the green of a Highland locomotive were far more suitable than LMS Crimson Lake for those particular machines and the same would apply to a lined black Crewe engine. Bronze green for the NBR also comes to mind. There are, of course many other examples from other companies and the colours of carriages come into the picture but overall I think that we should celebrate our railways’ colourful past and admire their individuality.

Dave

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The subject of locomotive colours is notoriously subjective and whilst my preference in overall locomotive types predisposes me towards crimson lake, I do think that there are definite colours that suit  those from other establishments.

How do you feel about tartan?

https://steamindex.com/media/tartancrampton.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 11