Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Going to our friend’s new house near Oswestry to continue helping with getting things sorted for her. One of my jobs is to fix the ground socket for the garden clothes drier then we’ll be going out for lunch. After that I suspect that fitting a cat flap in the back door will be on the cards so I’m loading plenty of tools in the car. What’s the betting that I forget something necessary and have to go out to buy one?

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I rewarded myself in Hobbycraft with an Airfix Lightning to add to the stash (I remember when they were about 1/10th of the current price).  

You know your project stash is too big when....... you forget you'd bought a kit of the same aircraft as part of a job lot, only six months ago.  SWMBO hasn't been told.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Going to our friend’s new house near Oswestry to continue helping with getting things sorted for her. One of my jobs is to fix the ground socket for the garden clothes drier....

In Bear's experience that sounds just like an ideal job for someone who's just had back surgery....not....

Big, Big Ouch - award your self an extra slice.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

They breached it years ago!

How do I know?

There's never any money in my account🤣.

So THAT’S how they found the funding for their new aircraft carrier!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

You know your project stash is too big when....... you forget you'd bought a kit of the same aircraft as part of a job lot, only six months ago.  SWMBO hasn't been told.

I did that with a book recently.  My daughter and her wife got an unexpected present of a book about the line that went through their village as it happened to include several photos of where their house is built though in those days it was a pit yard. 

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

40 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

My preference is to carry out the task myself....

After all, I'm exceptionally good at DIY with my fingers.🤣

It might be wise to have @bbishop on standby, then!

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Darlington_Shed said:

You could do the job quite neatly with an angle-grinder or a decent belt sander 😃

Or a saw bench....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Can't have been as bad as those old NSU Wankel engines...... 

The biggest engine failure I say was on sea trials for a new build Containers ship. We left Kure for the inland sea and were increasing revs when there was a most unpleasant sound as all three main engine turbos failed (it was a big 48MW Sulzer). DU (the engine builder) blamed ABB who in turn blamed SKF, it was still in court last I heard about it. Bit embarrassing to have to be towed back to the yard by tugs, but the reaction of the IHI people on board was classic. In a European yard it'd have been pretty much 'well **** happens, that's what sea trials are for' whereas I got the impression that in an earlier time the Japanese would have been committing seppuku or something.

Another one which was more impressive but a much smaller engine was another newbuild this time in Norway. During commissioning tests a generator breaker closed out of phase sequence, the resulting forces ripped the engine off the bed plate. Apparently that wasn't meant to happen '.

There was a photograph posted on RMweb some years ago of the huge connecting rod from a marine engine. There had been a failure and the connecting rod was bent into a U shape!

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Darlington_Shed said:

You could do the job quite neatly with an angle-grinder or a decent belt sander 😃

Sounds like a good excuse to get a laser cutter.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was a photograph posted on RMweb some years ago of the huge connecting rod from a marine engine. There had been a failure and the connecting rod was bent into a U shape!

When big engines go bad the results can be spectacular. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Going to our friend’s new house near Oswestry to continue helping with getting things sorted for her. One of my jobs is to fix the ground socket for the garden clothes drier then we’ll be going out for lunch. After that I suspect that fitting a cat flap in the back door will be on the cards so I’m loading plenty of tools in the car. What’s the betting that I forget something necessary and have to go out to buy one?

Dave

As one who has done a few of these I've found the best thing is to not use the provided ground fixing, but instead obtain a short piece of scaffolding and simply hammer it into the ground. If you want to have it taller simply leave the piece of tubing protruding out of the ground.  

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I think it was one @New Haven Neil posted. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

53 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

As one who has done a few of these I've found the best thing is to not use the provided ground fixing that is provided, but instead obtain a short piece of scaffolding and simply hammer it into the ground. If you want to have it taller simply leave the piece of tubing protruding out of the ground.  

I use the supplied ground fixing, but dig a hole to put it in and then pack th soil back round it. 

Andy

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I suspect my military records are on a paper tape somewhere.. probably eaten by moths..

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TheQ said:

I suspect my military records are on a paper tape somewhere.. probably eaten by moths..

Could be worse - at least they're not on a stone tablet.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

I left SM42 Towers just after 9.15 this morning. 

The neighbour was out washing their car. 

That were at the chammy leather stage

I returned just after 2pm

They were still at it. 

It does look very shiny though

Andy

• Like 3
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Having said that, given the NHS’s frequently woeful lack of administrative competence (as recounted by NHN and many others) it’s perhaps as well you do have multiple checks.

Even though I was one of those.....yes!  I like to think my department was better run than many we often hear of.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

I use the supplied ground fixing, but dig a hole to put it in and then pack th soil back round it. 

Andy

I've found them quite flimsy and prone to rusting away hence the scaffold tube.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

14 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I left SM42 Towers just after 9.15 this morning. 

The neighbour was out washing their car. 

That were at the chammy leather stage

I returned just after 2pm

They were still at it. 

It does look very shiny though

Andy

It's the two layers of polish that takes the time.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

12 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yup!

Glad I wasn't standing next to that when it went.

11954832_1108870359141585_6398294766691311404_n.jpg.dc62d210e52bf5a905a1ae5bb6a9989e.jpg

Oh I don't know a bit of arodite and t-cut and it'll be as right as rain.

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12

17 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Even though I was one of those.....yes!  I like to think my department was better run than many we often hear of.

I gave you a friendly/supportive uptick as it's crystal clear from your numerous posts that you did your damnedest to provide the very best support you could to your colleagues and the patients, but eventually the system ground you down....

And this, I think, is one of the great tragedies of the NHS - that so many great, talented and dedicated people are taken for granted, ground down and wasted by a system that seems (from various accounts from various sources) to only care about the apparatchiks at the very top.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1