Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Two Deltics??

Jeez, just how many weeds have you got?  A few bottles of weed killer sounds a lot cheaper to This Bear....

That's to pressure wash, get rid of all the weeds and moss, re-sand the gaps and seal it. Two quiet Deltics. The whole area is 240 sq m.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, polybear said:

Two Deltics??

Jeez, just how many weeds have you got?  A few bottles of weed killer sounds a lot cheaper to This Bear....

Yes but a very bad idea if you have a cat.  They lick their paws you see.....

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

That's to pressure wash, get rid of all the weeds and moss, re-sand the gaps and seal it. Two quiet Deltics. The whole area is 240 sq m.

Dave

He likes to park his old Hunter close to the house:

image.png.a97d06b2db510ad083e1e78c03ec8741.png

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

He likes to park his old Hunter close to the house:

image.png.a97d06b2db510ad083e1e78c03ec8741.png

But then all he has to do is put the brakes on and light the afterburners, then reposition several times.  Should burn the weed and moss off!

Of course, the cost of fuel might be more than a few deltics.....

I understand from our aviation expert that the Hunter does not possess afterburners, so it'll just have to sit there at full throttle* for a little while longer to obtain the same effect.  Fuel cost will probably be similar...

* Praying that the brakes hold...

Edited by Hroth
Update
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Two Deltics??

We have some weeds that need weeding in the paths. Aditi prefers not to use weed killer, so I am dispatched occasionally to  deal with them with assorted pointy objects. We were talking to a near neighbour and saw him using something that was shrivelling his   weeds on paths like ours. It was an electric hot air weed burner. I don’t know if would work for those with acres of block paving but we have ordered one and will see how it goes. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We have some weeds that need weeding in the paths. Aditi prefers not to use weed killer, so I am dispatched occasionally to  deal with them with assorted pointy objects. We were talking to a near neighbour and saw him using something that was shrivelling his   weeds on paths like ours. It was an electric hot air weed burner. I don’t know if would work for those with acres of block paving but we have ordered one and will see how it goes. 

I have a butane powered weed burner, effective but runs through the gas canisters rapidly.  I tried an electric one, but it wasn't very effective on large clumps (even on full blast).  I may try it again on small fresh growths, it might be more effective on those.  You can also get battery powered scarifiers, with a rotating wire brush that scrubs the weeds out of the gaps.  I've seen them advertised but not tried one!

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I have a butane powered weed burner, effective but runs through the gas canisters rapidly.  I tried an electric one, but it wasn't very effective on large clumps (even on full blast).  I may try it again on small fresh growths, it might be more effective on those.  You can also get battery powered scarifiers, with a rotating wire brush that scrubs the weeds out of the gaps.  I've seen them advertised but not tried one!

We actually saw the hot air electric one working on our neighbours weeds and they are  similar to what we want to clear. Running it should be cheap if we use it while the sun is shining as it will be a solar powered weed killer. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Yes but a very bad idea if you have a cat.  They lick their paws you see.....

We don’t have a cat but they do visit and I wouldn’t like to poison them. We stopped putting weed killer on the lawn some years ago, 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

But then all he has to do is put the brakes on and light the afterburners, then reposition several times. 

Unfortunately Hunters don't have afterburners. 

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

H

3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Hunt's do, after a vindaloo.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

........an electric hot air weed burner. I don’t know if would work for those with acres of block paving but we have ordered one and will see how it goes. 

I tried one of those once but the time taken to burn up each weed made it impractical for the size of our driveway and paths. I therefore tried the edge of a hoe, weed killer, water jet etc. but there were drawbacks to all of them. At the moment my back isn't up to anything except weed killer and I'd rather not use that if possible. Hence resorting to the man who can.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, bbishop said:

H

Hunt's do, after a vindaloo.

Hence that well known phrase:

”Ar5e like a Japanese Flag”

• Like 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We actually saw the hot air electric one working on our neighbours weeds and they are  similar to what we want to clear. Running it should be cheap if we use it while the sun is shining as it will be a solar powered weed killer. 

You could skip all that and just use a magnifying glass 😀

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

After next door had an artificial lawn installed I scrounged the leftover piece, about three foot by twelve. Placed on the patio it stopped the weeds coming through and I only have to move it to clear another part of the patio. The only other thing is that something heavy has to be put around the edges to stop the foxes from pulling it away.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

After next door had an artificial lawn installed I scrounged the leftover piece, about three foot by twelve. Placed on the patio it stopped the weeds coming through and I only have to move it to clear another part of the patio. The only other thing is that something heavy has to be put around the edges to stop the foxes from pulling it away.

We could get HH to lie on it. That would not only stop it from being drag away but also scare the foxes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I tried one of those once but the time taken to burn up each weed made it impractical for the size of our driveway and paths. I therefore tried the edge of a hoe, weed killer, water jet etc. but there were drawbacks to all of them. At the moment my back isn't up to anything except weed killer and I'd rather not use that if possible. Hence resorting to the man who can.

Dave

I've had a thort!

What about Botanical Brachytherapy?

If you have neglected your oncology studies recently, let me remind you that Brachytherapy is where tiny pellets of a radioactive material (which used to be radium 233, but is now probably cobalt-60, cesium-137, or iodine-125) are inserted into the body (frequently into a prostate tumour) and the emitted radioactivity kills the tumour cells.

Therefore, to roll over this approach to dealing with weeds, you build a container that will cover a patch of weeds and then inject radioactive pellets into that container.  Shortly thereafter, assuming you have got the doze correct, like with human brachytherapy you will have killed off the malignant cells (weeds) leaving healthy tissue (lawn) behind.

The only drawback with this approach is that the above mentioned radioactive substances are not that easy to come by - the authorities taking a very dim view of their use in non-medical situations (although I would argue that the severe emotional stress caused by a weed infested garden is a psychological trauma of such momentous proportions that immediate medical intervention is mandated).

Should the "usual channels" be of no help in you fulfilling your mission, then I am sure by using "unusual channels" a man with a broad and far reaching network of "friends, mates, chums" - such as yourself - plus knowing as well as knowing quite a few "people who owe me a favour" -  youshould have no problem in acquiring the necessary materials and equipment to fulfil this mission.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I've had a thort!

What about Botanical Brachytherapy?

If you have neglected your oncology studies recently, let me remind you that Brachytherapy is where tiny pellets of a radioactive material (which used to be radium 233, but is now probably cobalt-60, cesium-137, or iodine-125) are inserted into the body (frequently into a prostate tumour) and the emitted radioactivity kills the tumour cells.

Therefore, to roll over this approach to dealing with weeds, you build a container that will cover a patch of weeds and then inject radioactive pellets into that container.  Shortly thereafter, assuming you have got the doze correct, like with human brachytherapy you will have killed off the malignant cells (weeds) leaving healthy tissue (lawn) behind.

The only drawback with this approach is that the above mentioned radioactive substances are not that easy to come by - the authorities taking a very dim view of their use in non-medical situations (although I would argue that the severe emotional stress caused by a weed infested garden is a psychological trauma of such momentous proportions that immediate medical intervention is mandated).

Should the "usual channels" be of no help in you fulfilling your mission, then I am sure by using "unusual channels" a man with a broad and far reaching network of "friends, mates, chums" - such as yourself - plus knowing as well as knowing quite a few "people who owe me a favour" -  youshould have no problem in acquiring the necessary materials and equipment to fulfil this mission.

Would a few dozen vintage watch faces do the trick?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Two pretty young things just knocked on the front door.

This is obviously a new cunning ploy by the JW to ensure old blokes engage in conversation.

We were was able to disengage quickly as I needed to put some clothes on!

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Two pretty young things just knocked on the front door.

This is obviously a new cunning ploy by the JW to ensure old blokes engage in conversation.

We were was able to disengage quickly as I needed to put some clothes on!

What did the two foxy young JW’s say to the naked Hippo?

Answers on a postcard….

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Answers on a postcard….

Genesis 27:11 ?

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Answers on a postcard….

We want to talk to you about...

GOD!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3