Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

So y'all think it all went digital? It did, just not quite.

It's all based of "flip-flops". These are simple electronic devices that can either represent a one or a zero. That's great except there is also the "Grand Old Juke of York" flip-flop which is neither up nor down.

Precisely how long his state remains indeterminate is impossible to calculate. It's only a question of probabilities.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

There is a song "AFTERNOON DELIGHT" by the Starland Vocal Band (1976) that, I am sure, would peg today's censorship meters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh3tmBwtS5Q&ab_channel=StarlandandMore

Unhappily, I’m not offended!

Oh, there is some slight innuendo (and I’ve heard better C&W songs), but nothing really upsetting. Certainly no mention of ****** or ********** or even ***** *** *****!!!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

I see that once again “regionalism” has stumbled out of the pub and back onto the pages of TNM.

Manutopia?

Mancunian?

Who cares.

Let’s face it, lads, to those who matter (at least in their own opinion) - the London mediarati, the Islingtonians and the PPE lot in Westminster - you are nothing more than “local yokels”.

You are “Amusing Rustics” if they are feeling magnanimous, “Oiks” if not.

For many of the self-appointed “elite”, with the exception of parts of Bucks, north of the M25 there is nothing but an intellectual, cultural, social and culinary wasteland until you get to the approved bits of Jockland (basically Edinburgh and the more sanitary parts of the Highlands and the Isles).

Do you still daub yourselves with woad?

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Another few thoughts on censorship.

The bast*rd half-brother of censorship is euphemism.

Whether descriptive of anatomy (e.g. “private parts”) or of processes (e.g. “passed”). I’ve never seen the point of euphemisms, unless used amusingly or ironically (e.g. “tired and emotional”, “discussing Uganda”).

Re ”Private Parts” you can still be anatomically exact (genitalia) without resorting to more precise anatomical descriptions that would upset the nervous. And as for “passed”, passed what? A red light? Go? Water? (“passed water” - also another euphemism).

What about (radical thought) saying/usng “He/She died”?

No matter what euphemism you use, bought the farm, passed away, etc, they are still dead…

There is, however, a much darker side to euphemism: their use to “sanitise” some truly appalling things. The Nazis were masters of this: “special actions” (Sonderaktion) carried out by a “special command unit” (Sonderkommando) are neutral terms used to describe mass murder by killing squads. Many more examples abound.

Unfortunately, nowadays, both industry and governments have embraced the use of euphemisms: from the relatively innocuous “for your convenience” to the more sinister – such as “enhanced interrogation”.

There is a lot to be said in favour of “calling a spade, a spade”!

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

So y'all think it all went digital? It did, just not quite.

It's all based of "flip-flops". These are simple electronic devices that can either represent a one or a zero. That's great except there is also the "Grand Old Juke of York" flip-flop which is neither up nor down.

Precisely how long his state remains indeterminate is impossible to calculate. It's only a question of probabilities.

Can't you just switch it off and on again?

Andy

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

8 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

There is, however, a much darker side to euphemism: their use to “sanitise” some truly appalling things. The Nazis were masters of this: “special actions” (Sonderaktion) carried out by a “special command unit” (Sonderkommando) are neutral terms used to describe mass murder by killing squads. Many more examples abound

Hmmmm!

Why does the term special military operation come to mind?

Andy

• Agree 11

Good morning folks,

Q? Is "Eh up" pronounced the same as "Aye up"?

The latter is a usual form of greeting in the East Midlands, well Derbyshire anyway.

Usually followed by the imbibing of Bass or Pedigree, rather than Boddingtons though.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

15 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

Q? Is "Eh up" pronounced the same as "Aye up"?

The latter is a usual form of greeting in the East Midlands, well Derbyshire anyway.

Usually followed by the imbibing of Bass or Pedigree, rather than Boddingtons though.

Cheers, Nigel.

Quite right me duck

Though I may have strayed nearer to Stoke there. 

Andy

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Quite right me duck

Andy

It's alright Love for a mancunian or for those more edukated Good morning peasant.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

Well it's a cooler and cloudier Poznan today. 

14c is forecast with the chance of localised storms. 

Saturday is now forecast for 23c. 

Shopping this morning, followed by that Polish lunch time staple of coffee and cake. 

I may get some free time later, but as yesterday's cleaning was postponed I daresay it won't be much if at all. 

The level crossing on the freight line avoiding the city is a good bet if I get chance and is only a 10 minute drive away.

Andy

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hello Andy (SM42),

Duck is also usual for Derby/Derbyshire, both male and female addressed the same!

Or for those more fluent in other languages, mon vielle canard (me old duck) also serves 🤣

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Hello Andy (SM42),

Duck is also usual for Derby/Derbyshire, both male and female addressed the same!

Or for those more fluent in other languages, mon vielle canard (me old duck) also serves 🤣

Cheers, Nigel.

30 years ago and a bit I lived in Worksop, where such phrases were common.  We had an Australian seconded by the company who got used to "Eh up me duck?" but admitted to being baffled by someone who asked him, "Who washa wi?" for "Who was you with?".

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good evening folks,

Probably just as well to not mention hot boxes then?

Cheers, Nigel.

Until now I've been trying not to mention the 16'x10' erection that I have in my loft.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Until now I've been trying not to mention the 16'x10' erection that I have in my loft.

There's always one isn't there. You know no one loves a show off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

12 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

30 years ago and a bit I lived in Worksop, where such phrases were common.  We had an Australian seconded by the company who got used to "Eh up me duck?" but admitted to being baffled by someone who asked him, "Who washa wi?" for "Who was you with?".

Or more accurately - Who waz yar wif

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Today, Nyda and I have decided to treat ourselves to a day out.

With the weather looking a bit variable, we will have to take it as it comes, but it will incorporate a visit to Eccleshall so that I can drop my smallest rifle off to it's birthplace.

It's going back for a full service which will see all the springs and seals replaced.

They will also be able to accurately set the power output on the bench using a type Chronograph that measures the speed of the pellet between two points., whereas my Chronograph has to be attached to the rifle, which is OK for testing, but adjusting is a lot more difficult. 

Yes, it is a job that I could do, but for the price they charge, and the time it would take me, it's not worth my while.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Today, Nyda and I have decided to treat ourselves to a day out.

With the weather looking a bit variable, we will have to take it as it comes, but it will incorporate a visit to Eccleshall so that I can drop my smallest rifle off to it's birthplace.

It's going back for a full service which will see all the springs and seals replaced.

They will also be able to accurately set the power output on the bench using a type Chronograph that measures the speed of the pellet between two points., whereas my Chronograph has to be attached to the rifle, which is OK for testing, but adjusting is a lot more difficult. 

Yes, it is a job that I could do, but for the price they charge, and the time it would take me, it's not worth my while.

Supporting 'local' businesses that's what we like to see Mon old Hippo.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Unhappily, I’m not offended!

Oh, there is some slight innuendo (and I’ve heard better C&W songs), but nothing really upsetting. Certainly no mention of ****** or ********** or even ***** *** *****!!

There are some other songs that spring to mind.  Dylan Pat Garrett album could be good background music to afternoon delight, after half an hour you get to, "Knockin on Heavans door" 

As to euphemism 's I hate the term passed. 

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Quite right me duck

Andy

I was also going to mention Derbyshire. The word I remember is bonny which means chubby or fat. 

As to Muntopia etc, nothing can alter the fact that it's on the dark side. 

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The term ‘duck’ or ‘me duck’ stretches further than so far suggested. I have heard it used freely and commonly in Lincolnshire, Rutland and in Shropshire both north and south. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I think that anyone who would find Afternoon Delight offensive would probably be a direct descendant of Mary Whitehouse and/or make sure that their piano and table legs were hidden from view. The thought of sha**ing in daylight would send them skyrocketing, never mind Saturn launches.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

One of the euphemisms I hate is when a needle wielding nurse says, “You might feel a slight scratch,” to which I usually reply, “Oh, it felt like someone sticking a needle in my arm to me.” (Other parts of the body are available)

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Funny 2

Good morning Sqdn Ldr Dave,

At least it's only a slight scratch, even when in other body parts.

Re.your incoming operation (for which best wishes), the Boss went into the QMC Nottingham recently for major surgery. She was given a MRSA shower gel and nose cream and was asked to start 3 days before the op.

Once she came home, the day after the op, there was still plenty of shower gel left but she wasn't required to use it anymore. So, it was used by yours truly.

When I had my hernia repair op in 2021 I had a spinal anaesthetic and the area was pre-numbed before the big needle went in.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3