Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

11 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I do not class Afternoon as country & western (no matter what the others may call it; no pickup trucks, no dogs, no twangy banjos, etc!), more like mild folk rock; 🤔

I think that Billy Connolly brilliantly summed up the whole C&W genre with this:

Joking apart, probably one of the best C&W songs ever is the Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard version of Townes Van Zandt’s Pancho and Lefty

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

Good morning folks,

One more saying from me about Derbyshire, 'me owd ducks'.

Derbyshire born, Derbyshire bred,

Strongth in'th arm, thick in'th head.

And this came from a lad from 'Illson ', otherwise known as Ilkeston. 

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

Today dawns as breezy with hazy sunshine. 

This heralds two things. 

1. The start of the Easter weekend heatwave. 17c predicted today. ( 23c tomorrow, 21c Sunday, 20c Monday and a more reasonable 12c on Tuesday)

And

2. The start of a period of no meat and alcohol and general abstinence before Sunday. 

Breakfast was egg, bread and smoked salmon ( one mustn't deprive oneself too much) and there will be a meagre diet heavy in bread, cheese and fish between now and Sunday when the equivalent of half a pig lands on  your plate for breakfast. 

Tomorrow morning, as is tradition,  we will take our little basket of food to the church and join one of the regular rugby scrums to get it blessed. 

Happy Easter everyone.

Andy 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Awe rite me owd Lovers,

I think teenagers have officially been eliminated, suddenly young people are children till 18 and adults afterwards.

In the UK ,

Pre 1880 you worked when you could, prior to industrialization that would at your parents work, minor work from age 4 or 5...

1880 you were a child till age 10,  then you started work.

1893, age 11,

1899 age 12

1918 age 14,

1944 age 15

1972 age 16,

2013 age 17 England only

2015 age 18, England only.

No wonder they are putting the pension age up, or soon you'd finish school and retire..

"Country and western" as such no longer exists, generally it's "country music" in the USA as an equivalent to UK's  " folk music". Calling it "country and western" annoys many.  Though there are many regional variations of country music. As there were in old folk music in the UK.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, SM42 said:

One of the perils of a night shift at North Pole Depot is that it last 6 months. 

Not when it's your turn to go cake snafflin' though.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

a meagre diet heavy in bread, cheese and fish

Add in fruit and veg and that sounds pretty healthy to me, as long as the bread has some goodness.

Good Friday always strikes me as the most important day in the Christian calendar, being the origin of the cross that is the emblem, yet isn't even a holiday here, while Monday is.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Add in fruit and veg and that sounds pretty healthy to me, as long as the bread has some goodness.

Good Friday always strikes me as the most important day in the Christian calendar, being the origin of the cross that is the emblem, yet isn't even a holiday here, while Monday is.

Do you know how many calories there are in Cheese??

Yours,

A despondent Bear.....😢

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Do you know how many calories there are in Cheese??

Enough. I eat a fair bit. Currently have some Soumaintrain on the go. Real French cheese which spreads easily straight from the fridge. Not always available in Summer due to being so runny. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

One more saying from me about Derbyshire, 'me owd ducks'.

Derbyshire born, Derbyshire bred,

Strongth in'th arm, thick in'th head.

And this came from a lad from 'Illson ', otherwise known as Ilkeston. 

Cheers, Nigel.

Being read here by a lad who lived in Chesterfield for 5 years between 53 and 58.

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Enough. I eat a fair bit. Currently have some Soumaintrain on the go. Real French cheese which spreads easily straight from the fridge. Not always available in Summer due to being so runny. 

We are both partial to cheese and tend to buy it from a market stall on Sunday.  A mild blue called Carré dAurillac is one we both like. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, pH said:

Latitude???

I realised as soon as I posted and did change it immediately but not quickly enough it seems ☹️

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Pre 1880 you worked when you could, prior to industrialization that would at your parents work, minor work from age 4 or 5...

1880 you were a child till age 10,  then you started work.

1893, age 11,

1899 age 12

1918 age 14,

1944 age 15

1972 age 16,

2013 age 17 England only

2015 age 18, England only.

I seem to recall that when I had Paper round  you were supposed to be at least twelve to do it - that was in 1959.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

"Country and western" as such no longer exists, generally it's "country music" in the USA as an equivalent to UK's  " folk music". Calling it "country and western" annoys many.  Though there are many regional variations of country music. As there were in old folk music in the UK.

Country and Western are two different forms of music.

Country was seen as the Hillbilly or roots music from rural areas usually a form of Folk music and often involves dancing.

Whilst Western was mostly from the Mid West cowboy balladeers. More singing laments around a campfire and story telling than dancing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_music_

They were often lumped together by those that don't know different. A bit like those that think everyone who likes Heavy Metal likes the pop stuff they play on Radio Two. I don't think I've ever listened to a Def Leppard album yet everyone seems to think that is what I'm into!

Jason

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I seem to recall that when I had Paper round  you were supposed to be at least twelve to do it - that was in 1959.

Dave

I think the rules for part time jobs were different to those for instance working in factories. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

In the 70's you had were supposed to go for a medical as well

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They were often lumped together by those that don't know different. A bit like those that think everyone who likes Heavy Metal likes the pop stuff they play on Radio Two. I don't think I've ever listened to a Def Leppard album yet everyone seems to think that is what I'm into!

A friend of mine used to say that Def Leppard were a band for people who thought they liked Rock Music but knew they didn't like Americans.

• Funny 9

16 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

No, no - all mere ‘Pretenders to the Throne’. 

As the old rhyme used to go:

”Where North meets South,

The bit between

Is NOTTINGHAM,

The Midlands’ Queen!”

Though of course you missed out Derby, which redeems your list somewhat in our eyes. 

“Ah, Derby - a place where Men are Men

And Women (and Sheep) are glad …”

Still smarting from the (historical but ultimate) insult/put-down of only meriting a Branchline Terminus by the Midland Counties Railway.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Country and Western are two different forms of music.

Country was seen as the Hillbilly or roots music from rural areas usually a form of Folk music and often involves dancing.

Whilst Western was mostly from the Mid West cowboy balladeers. More singing laments around a campfire and story telling than dancing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_music_

Jason

Living as I do in the Wild West I know a thing or two about this stuff. This is my fav cowboy song

Edited by AndyID

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

This is my fav cowboy song

It shows as unavailable but YouTube suggested a Kirstie MacColl song, “Caroline” but not her one about cowboys .

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Living as I do in the Wild West I know a thing or two about this stuff. This is my fav cowboy song

Andy, you will have to tell us what it is, video is 'not available'. 

Tony beat me to it!

Edited by Canal Digger
update
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Andy, you will have to tell us what it is, video is 'not available'. 

Tony beat me to it!

Ah, UK copyright block.

It's "Cowboy Song" by Thin Lizzy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Ah, UK copyright block.

It's "Cowboy Song" by Thin Lizzy

Yootoob here seems to work...

(see what happens on submit)

• Like 5

Well my day out was a mixed bag. 

Pila was full of wagons, one ET22 hanging about, but absolutely no where to park nearby. 

I did try another street I'd scoped out on line, but chickened out when I got to the succession of  potholes that you could lose a 44 tonner in. 

The SM42 mobile isn't designed for off roading, even if it was a road. 

I moved on to Znin. The railway was closed and there was not much sitting around apart from a few wagons. 

The museum at Wenecja was, as now expected, closed too. 

Did take the odd over the fence shot. 

20240329_133613.jpg.a41d01132f5f0f3a148864acfee5fd41.jpg

I ended the day at my favourite spot in Inowroclaw and wasn't disappointed.

A few locos dotted about, refurbished SM42 shunting in the yard and several freight trains passing through 

20240329_150529.jpg.4293f4b9815054d9fb5720877b6cbf9e.jpg

20240329_144049.jpg.39f98400a49fdba5769a1e7e61cf5e80.jpg

20240329_154613.jpg.0c48c855f3a59c07e0085321a0b76417.jpg

Andy

Edited by SM42
Completely random auto text
  • Like 18