Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

7 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good evening folks,

Probably just as well to not mention hot boxes then?

Cheers, Nigel.

Oh so many railway terms would cause apoplexy 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

Hello SM42,

You are so right, if I mention muff couplings I'm sure AYMod will put me on the naughty step after getting a visit from the thought-police.

Yours, 

Finbarr Saunders.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

but yesterday I grasped the bullet 

Careful, you'll have the man from Manutopea asking all sorts of awkward questions:

Was it hot?

Was it still moving?

Did it hurt?

What does it look like now?

Just mentioning it for a friend.....

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Spelt f i l t h

Dave

HMG should send them texts:

"Dear filth, we hope you like the Ruskies cos' that's your new home - your Passports have been cancelled, permanently - as have any pensions you may have been entitled to (but hopefully you won't live that long anyway)"

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

Interesting listening to the radio on my travels today. 

Two songs containing an alternative word for manure were played at some point. 

One unedited, the other edited. 

The latter got away with being played in the UK for several months before it was edited. 

Another tune that originally contained an expletive was played in its English speaking world safe alternative version. 

You just can't tell what is going to happen nowadays. 

Andy

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Although it may be distasteful for the two individuals to have joined the Russian forces in the fight in Ukraine, the same can be said for the British ex servicemen  and civilian volunteers who have gone to Ukraine to fight for the Ukrainians, they are exactly the same in legal terms.  any ex serviceman who still has a reserve liability is in trouble!

Those UK Citizens fighting for Ukraine are at least on the side that HMG has chosen to support as well by virtue of significant provision of weapons

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

It gets more complicated when you consider people going from the UK to work with the IDF in Gaza.

The IDF is a recognised army and is presently involved in a conflict with a known terrorist organisation.  But the actions of the IDF is receiving some very close monitoring from the UN because of how it has carried out its response to the atrocity last October.

Drawing the line between good and bad organisations is becoming blurred.

• Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Careful, you'll have the man from Manutopea asking all sorts of awkward questions:

Perhaps he has a Macc lads album (Macclesfield - not quite Manutopia but not far off) .......now THAT will set the profanisaurus wilting. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Apparently balls but I'm no expert.

There’s no need to be rude about it.

Dave

(funny that the auto censor doesn’t pick that one up considering some of its dislikes)

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Was it hot?

Was it still moving?

Did it hurt?

What does it look like now?

Just mentioning it for a friend.....

You missed one - was it round?

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Only if you have a punt apparently.

And where people say Eh-yup, which is a Yorkshire and not a Manchester term.  A memorable advert, but clearly created by a Southerner who'd never actually been North of Watford.  I preferred the one spoofing aftershave adverts, with Melanie Sykes in the ice cream van.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

And where people say Eh-yup, which is a Yorkshire and not a Manchester term.  A memorable advert, but clearly created by a Southerner who'd never actually been North of Watford.  I preferred the one spoofing aftershave adverts, with Melanie Sykes in the ice cream van.

I believe a proper mancunian - that's not a Manutopean by the way, annunciates with a drawn out m. As I'm neither a Manutopean nor mancunian I can't possibly comment.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I think you're mistaking the Boddingtons advert for my reference to The Macc Lads!

"Eh up!" not used?  Try The Macc Lads and tell me that it's not a local term!

However, I can't link to any of the songs as I'll probably get banned for life! Certainly not for anyone of a nervous disposition (or anyone else). Every single song is very near the knuckle. 

Think of this bit to the tune of Hey, Hey We're The Monkees.

Eh up! We're the Macc Lads, wе go down the pub
When the ale's down our necks, we go and get some grub

• Like 6

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

There is a song "AFTERNOON DELIGHT" by the Starland Vocal Band (1976) that, I am sure, would peg today's censorship meters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh3tmBwtS5Q&ab_channel=StarlandandMore

No, no, no! It's obviously about enjoying Turkish Delight in the afternoon with a few of the neighbors while watching an Apollo launch. How else could you explain "sky rockets in flight"?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

7 minutes ago, AndyID said:

No, no, no! It's obviously about enjoying Turkish Delight in the afternoon with a few of the neighbors while watching an Apollo launch. How else could you explain "sky rockets in flight"?

Obviously some things just don't 'translate' well.

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just back from seeing a vein doc regarding my very close veins. The right leg is obviously extremely dodgy but after a bit of ultrasound examination his professional opinion is that the peripheral veins on the inside of both legs are completely banjaxed. (although he might have put it slightly differently).

He can fix them with a minor op in his surgery now scheduled for early July. He could do the ops next week but I have to be under his supervision for three months if Medicare is going to pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17