Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Unless everything goes into reverse and the universe vanishes into a Black Hole...

In addition, I would like to say that I don't have any cake either.

You see that's the problem there's not enough cake to stop the elastic band from it's continuing expansion.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

HB Dave, have a great day, although Sunset Strip is before my time, just being a yoof of 65 ish.

Keeps pleuting here so no biking, shopping was shopped and I should go and do something useful. Should.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

HB Dave, have a great day, although Sunset Strip is before my time, just being a yoof of 65 ish.

Come now, like "59, five and nine, the Brighton line" it's a well-established bingo call, recognised even by Bingo-players who weren't playing before 1923 - and there are such.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Compound2632 said:

Come now, like "59, five and nine, the Brighton line" it's a well-established bingo call, recognised even by Bingo-players who weren't playing before 1923 - and there are such.

Hmm, bingo is something that has never appealed to me - my God-mother was an aficionado, and seemed to win something every week she went.  It's all too Mrs Brady old lady for my tastes.  '59 though, was a good year....😉

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hmm, bingo is something that has never appealed to me - my God-mother was an aficionado, and seemed to win something every week she went.  It's all too Mrs Brady old lady for my tastes.  '59 though, was a good year....😉

As PTA Chair, a good few years ago, I had to help run a Bingo evening or three. We had an excellent caller. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Today sees the celebration of my Sunset Strip* orbit of our closest star so I am being taken out for lunch with some friends near Oswestry. I may be some time.

* 77 for those not old enough to recall such things.

Best wishes to Beth and hopes for a swift recovery.

Dave

Hippo Bathday!

I vaguely remember 77 Sunset Strip, mainly for the cars that seemed to be almost as wide as they were long, but nothing else, and the cars are probably a false memory thing too...

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Unless everything goes into reverse and the universe vanishes into a Black Hole...

That seems unlikely. The expansion is accelerating. Neither option seems very attractive but it's not something we need worry about.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Happy birthday.

I can remember the TV series but I suspect I was in the room while my parents watched it rather than actively watching it. I  do remember the theme tune and also being intrigued that one of the actors had Jr after his name despite being an adult. Isn’t it odd what gets recalled.  

Efrem Zimbalist, jr. His father was a great recording star in the acoustic record era.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efrem_Zimbalist

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Efrem Zimbalist, jr. His father was a great recording star in the acoustic record era.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efrem_Zimbalist

Juniors name remained lodged in my memory but I never bothered to find out why. Thank you. I wonder if I will ever get a chance to demonstrate my knowledge. We don’t go to pub quiz nights but I am sure I  would enjoy them, though one that was on in a local pub where we went for a meal had some rounds where I  would have scored zero. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think I may have once confused arthropods and orthopods. Fortunately the person I was speaking to thought I was being amusing rather than stupid. 

I visited Basildon hospital on Friday for a test. Basildon hospital is enormous but being built on a narrow site the buildings are long and narrow. I had an appointment at the Urology department and the (verbal) instructions to find it were complex. I got as far as the correct floor but couldn't remember whether it was turn right or left when leaving the lift. So I asked a hospital porter and he said he was going there so I just followed him. He told me to take a seat outside an anonymous door until I was called in. There was a lady also waiting there who was called in and she came out just before the time of my appointment at three and I was left sitting there on my own. After about twenty minutes as I hadn't been called in I knocked on the door and  I was asked to come in. I said I had an appointment for three but the lady who was in there said she had no more appointments so she asked to see my appointment letter. Then it became clear, I'd been sent to the pneumology department. Fortunately I was on the right floor but at the wrong end of the hospital, the department I wanted, urology was about a quarter of a mile away. I eventually got there half an hour late but they weren't to worried about it but the patient who would have been after me went before me.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

visited Basildon hospital on Friday f

The signage there isn’t that great. Fortunately (or perhaps not!) when I have to go to Basildon the departments I need have their own buildings so easy to find. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

That seems unlikely. The expansion is accelerating. Neither option seems very attractive but it's not something we need worry about.

Look I told you it's because there's not enough cake to slow it down.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Look I told you it's because there's not enough cake to slow it down.

That's just as likely as all the other theories that try to explain it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I tried to pick up a stray cake from PB

And this happened!

Fortunately it's mainly padding.IMG-20240425-WA0000.jpeg.b21aedbc8dd2a901272b56cb4f1df7e4.jpeg

You after sympathy or something?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

If you are interested in a well-written, scholarly and insightful article* on the topic of submarine cables, then the link below might be of interest…

https://cimsec.org/undersea-cables-challenges-protecting-seabed-lines-communication/

*I may have a close connection with the author 😉

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I tried to pick up a stray cake from PB

And this happened!

Fortunately it's mainly padding.IMG-20240425-WA0000.jpeg.b21aedbc8dd2a901272b56cb4f1df7e4.jpeg

Stop yer whingin' - I let you live didn't I??

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Stop yer whingin' - I let you live didn't I??

My brother had to have the remains of a big toe nail removed. The nurse told him to look away and yanked it out. My brother said he assumed she told him to look away so she could apply some local anaesthetic . She said there wasn’t usually any need! 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I visited Basildon hospital on Friday for a test. Basildon hospital is enormous but being built on a narrow site the buildings are long and narrow. I had an appointment at the Urology department and the (verbal) instructions to find it were complex. I got as far as the correct floor but couldn't remember whether it was turn right or left when leaving the lift. So I asked a hospital porter and he said he was going there so I just followed him. He told me to take a seat outside an anonymous door until I was called in. There was a lady also waiting there who was called in and she came out just before the time of my appointment at three and I was left sitting there on my own. After about twenty minutes as I hadn't been called in I knocked on the door and  I was asked to come in. I said I had an appointment for three but the lady who was in there said she had no more appointments so she asked to see my appointment letter. Then it became clear, I'd been sent to the pneumology department. Fortunately I was on the right floor but at the wrong end of the hospital, the department I wanted, urology was about a quarter of a mile away. I eventually got there half an hour late but they weren't to worried about it but the patient who would have been after me went before me.

I bet you were pi**ed off.....

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10