Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, skipepsi said:

I think light weight might be the way forward if you want to have a portable layout.

Pantmawr Sidings addressed the issue of baseboard weight.

It was built out of 75mm thick closed cell foam and thin ply sides.  I used 18 mm ply for the ends.

We did use 3 mm ply as a track bed as the surface of the ply as a bit uneven.

DSC_0063.JPG.4bd9eeaf92168eb429c5a3a81c39769b.JPG

855025598_DSC_0062(1).JPG.9eeae9a903111e80ab5af10bce90f958.JPG

They are about 5 feet long, 18" wide and you can pick them up between your finger and thumb.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, one of the advantages of the thin ply sides is, with some double checked mathematical calculations, make each side a different length and then create a curved board as shewn.

It's a bit flexible until you put the foam in which was secured with expanding foam, which also filled up any gaps, and a couple of wooden dowels through the thin ply sides which I always seem to end up doing on joints without any natural mechanical fixing.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

For my analogue exploits  I am still using an old H&M Clipper.  It is now well over 50 years old, and I really think it is time for something slightly more up to date.

Any suggestions?

I'm quite happy to have something that requires an external power source.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Pantmawr Sidings addressed the issue of baseboard weight.

It was built out of 75mm thick closed cell foam and thin ply sides.  I used 18 mm ply for the ends.

We did use 3 mm ply as a track bed as the surface of the ply as a bit uneven.

DSC_0063.JPG.4bd9eeaf92168eb429c5a3a81c39769b.JPG

855025598_DSC_0062(1).JPG.9eeae9a903111e80ab5af10bce90f958.JPG

They are about 5 feet long, 18" wide and you can pick them up between your finger and thumb.

A good bit lighter than my hollow core door adaptions then. I was actually thinking about the traverser set up compared with multiple cassettes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, skipepsi said:

A good bit lighter than my hollow core door adaptions then. I was actually thinking about the traverser set up compared with multiple cassettes. 

My current traverser runs on heavy duty door runners.

I've now got a set (5) of the linear shaft rods used in CNC machines.  I'm going to use three of them on the traverser rebuild, with a braced ply frame.  Some form of bottom will be made up from thin ply under the shaft rods to ensure that in the event of a run through, the errant loco/wagon/coach only falls into a pit rather than the 48 inches to the floor.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

For my analogue exploits  I am still using an old H&M Clipper.  It is now well over 50 years old, and I really think it is time for something slightly more up to date.

Any suggestions?

Simples, get a Duette, I use one on LGA with qnother as backup.

If q clipper lasts 50 years the Duette should last 100.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 6

Richard et al,

CASSETTES.  I'm a big fan.  The first point to make is I glue cork floor tiles to my baseboards (shiny side down) then "layout" cork as well.  This makes the top of the rail some distance from the baseboard.  Relevant later.

My cassettes are 9mm marine ply, to which is screwed 1" x 1" aluminium angle.  There are MDF feet glued to the ply to get the correct height - mine are ¼".  Probably helps in sliding cassettes around and easy to get fingers under if a cassette has to be lifted.  I tried to standardise on 16" and 48" long cassettes but tender locomotives require 24" as well.

Two further points.  Aluminium ears provide mechanical alignment but I don't rely on them for electrical connectivity.  Then ply blocks stop stock rolling off the cassettes. 

Bill

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bill,

I picked up the issue of relevant height when I was building Pantmawr Sidings and had to make some calculations  to account for the difference between the height of the cassette from the cassette table and making sure it was the correct height  to align with the rails on the scenic boards.  It might have been easier If I'd built the cassette table before laying and fixing down the track on the scenic side!

Should I convert SWS to Cassettes, then I will have to carry out the same exercise.

Using them on the next railway, Aberflyarff (LL), will pose no such problem as I will build the cassette table first and with the cassettes I already have built, will be able to adjust the single trackbed (up and down lines) quite simply before permanently securing it to the scenic section frames.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Any suggestions?

How about a Gaugemaster off Ebay?  Lifetime guarantee too, so if it ever should go wrong....

1 hour ago, laurenceb said:

The Hippo & The Bear are the usual suspects

It couldn't have been Bear cos' he wasn't there.  And if he was there he knows nothing about it.....

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

How about a Gaugemaster off Ebay?  Lifetime guarantee too, so if it ever should go wrong....

My Gaugemaster controller is about 30 years old that I had for the kids railway. Still working very well and feels like it will survive just about anything. 

Edited by coastalview
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I got the results of the chest x ray earlier on today:  All clear, so nothing out of the ordinary.

Having reviewed my flow meter readings over the past fortnight, the nurse has now booked me an appointment (phone) with the GP on Monday.  It's all rather drawn out, but I feel it's:

Not serious, just annoying.

It's getting narrowed down, so I suspect the next area of investigation will be the upper respiratory tract.

I think it will require a dose of single malt later this evening:  Purely for medicinal purposes.

58 minutes ago, polybear said:

It couldn't have been Bear cos' he wasn't there.  And if he was there he knows nothing about it.....

I've heard good reviews from other users about the Gaugemaster hand held units, so I shall take a look.

The first rule of Cake Klubb is.......

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

These get my vote every time. I've used them for hippo's years on home and exhibition layouts without any problems whatsoever.

P1050886.JPG.e8318f55c864df5d9af0f7f2ff4d6017.JPG

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
Forgot picture!
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I got the results of the chest x ray earlier on today:  All clear, so nothing out of the ordinary.

Having reviewed my flow meter readings over the past fortnight, the nurse has now booked me an appointment (phone) with the GP on Monday.  It's all rather drawn out, but I feel it's:

Not serious, just annoying.

It's getting narrowed down, so I suspect the next area of investigation will be the upper respiratory tract.

I think it will require a dose of single malt later this evening:  Purely for medicinal purposes.

I've heard good reviews from other users about the Gaugemaster hand held units, so I shall take a look.

The first rule of Cake Klubb is.......

Good news about the X ray except no mention of where the secret cake stache is located or the composition of the heart though.

I've used Gaugemaster hand held W's a lot at exhibitions.  With continual heavy use they can get quite warm, so we always had a spare to swap out.  However they are fine for intermittent use with 7mm stuff.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Good news about the X ray except no mention of where the secret cake stachevis located or the composition of the heart.

I've used Gaugemaster hand held W's a lot at exhibitions.  With continual heavy use they can get quite warm, sonwe always had a spare to swap out.  However they are fine for intermittent use with 7mm stuff.

Jamie

There are "heavyweight" controllers in the range (suitable for Hippo's and 0 Gauge) so presumably up-rated accordingly.  I guess they are few and far between on the bay though...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As an ex-trader so now no connection (badoom) Gaugemaster controllers are really good.  We had very very few failures, which  were always sorted quickly by them with no squabbles (Hornby please take note....they're a nightmare for trade returns), and we must have sold hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of them of all sizes, right up to the big G scale fan cooled jobs.  Highly recommended.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Gaugemaster hand held Ws are great and using them with motors such as  RG7s and Mashima 1833s on layouts such as Dewsbury and Severn Mill at exhibitions I was never aware of them getting hot.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit that I was looking at the analogue controllers more for use with 4 mm stuff when the grandchildren's line has to be built.

With the exception of the Heljan beasts, I've been able to run up to three sound controlled locos at once using the NCE Powercab starter set.  Modern rtr locos in 7mm have quite small motors.

I'm part way through taking one of the motors out of a Heljan Class 25, which will allow it to run the much cheaper standard sound decoder.  Those with practical experience in this have reported that the haulage capacity of the converted locos is still well in excess of any train that would be suitable for my personal usage.

• Like 5