Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It comes down to which side has the longest pikes.

Re-enactors don't want to be perforated, so they have regulation length poles with safety tips and tend to end up with something that looks more like a rugger scrum...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Hroth said:

Re-enactors don't want to be perforated, so they have regulation length poles with safety tips and tend to end up with something that looks more like a rugger scrum...

I thought it looked like twenty-five re-enactors fighting to erect a teepee.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I was sitting waiting to see Aditi get her degree conferred. This was at the Barbican in London. The woman sitting next to me said how lovely it was to see one’s child graduate. I replied that I wasn’t seeing my child I was married to one of those graduating. The sheer look of horror that someone my age might possibly be wed to one of the bright young people marching across the stage was amazing. I did point out that my spouse was the short woman with a floppy doctoral hat sitting in the middle of a row of ecclesiastical gentlemen and military officers .

Jill's secretary in Lincolnshire did an OU English degree after she had retired. When she went to the degree ceremony she was congratulated by all the great and good.

Dave 

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Saw these at Model World Live and thought of Ramrod: 

20240428_133448.jpg.da8ace45351c5fc37cd9170bab634231.jpg20240428_133432.jpg.be850366066a9b0785e5b3067c14791f.jpg20240428_133443.jpg.bee2a3515d759444174b4d70a956e58f.jpg

No sign of any representative Hunters or Phantoms.

It was a good show, and very busy for a Sunday.

The only one of those I've had a go at is the Mk 6 Lightning and I didn't get many hours on it. Nearly got a ride in a two seat Viggen once but it fell through.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I was offered Guinness Zero at my daughters' the other day, although I opted for something else. I've never had it; is it any good? 

Did try it from a can a few months back. It wasn’t bad - but it didn’t taste much like “proper” Guinness either, even the canned version. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Well, after church and a walk I was about to go down to the shed when Jill reported that the garage roller door wouldn't close. After much fiddling and poking I managed to pin it down to a broken electrical joint on the control mechanism so luckily it was but a five minute job with the soldering iron - most of the total time taken was searching for a sufficiently long extension lead. I then did get down to the shed and started sorting out how to make the shearlegs I need for the layout as well as painting some of the harness on the dray horse. 

Dave

• Like 18

Well I thought about doing some modelling this evening but then was overcome by a bout of the cannawantos, so I just watched some snooker instead. 

I really must get on a bit. 

I have five projects on the go for other people and I need to see the back of them in the next couple of weeks ideally

Unfortunately I seem to have lost momentum since last November and have done very little modelling.  

Even going  to the club has seen little achieved there too, even though a new fiddle yard set up  is required for one of our layouts, all I've done towards it is buy supplies, dismantle the old one and drill two holes. 

My mojo seems to have gone on holiday of late, probably  not helped by my regular partner in crime being out of the game with illness for the last 8 months. 

Hopefully I'll find some motivation this week and make some progress even if it's just to try and get the lid off a pot of Railmatch paint that I'm going to need to use on one of those projects. . 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Hopefully I'll find some motivation this week and make some progress even if it's just to try and get the lid off a pot of Railmatch paint that I'm going to need to use on one of those projects. 

Not Fresh Flour by any chance?

Dave

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Hopefully I'll find some motivation this week and make some progress

Aditi went off to watch ballet in Basildon this afternoon and I thought I would go out and do some modelling. I didn’t. I won’t be tomorrow either, we are crossing the big bridge (not the one to Canvey Island). We are off to Bluewater. Aditi has booked a private Covid vaccine from Boots. We haven’t been to Bluewater since 2019 so we can see what has changed.  Hopefully then John Lewis sandwiches will still be ok! 
Tony

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

@Happy Hippo  Referring back to your visit to Chirk Castle, here's a couple of snaps of the Civil War re-enactors I saw there on a visit...

sk08.JPG.fb10f636e7462b289f3337fba105f73b.JPG

Odd. I do not see any grey there; or bluebellies for that matter!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I am always amused by the statement 'Civil War'.

There is nothing civil in it what so ever.

• Agree 15

6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Nope this is a 'proper' one.

I know that the participants get great enjoyment out of this sort of thing- what with having to research the equipment/clothing etc, but to me it seems like they just want to dress up and then roll about in the mud. I suppose it takes all sorts.

• Like 11
  • Funny 2

19 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I know that the participants get great enjoyment out of this sort of thing- what with having to research the equipment/clothing etc, but to me it seems like they just want to dress up and then roll about in the mud. I suppose it takes all sorts.

Steam Rallies way back used to end up like this on a Saturday evening, after time in the Beer tent.  If there happened to be a few vintage, (but fully operational), Fire Engines around.  I recall several Hosepipe battles.  The joys of hot weather and alcohol!!!!

Ironically, I don’t remember waking up the next day, covered in mud, nursing a Hangover?  Must have been good quality beer!

Paul

• Like 7
  • Funny 2

59 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Steam Rallies way back used to end up like this on a Saturday evening, after time in the Beer tent.  If there happened to be a few vintage, (but fully operational), Fire Engines around.  I recall several Hosepipe battles.  The joys of hot weather and alcohol!!!!

Ironically, I don’t remember waking up the next day, covered in mud, nursing a Hangover?  Must have been good quality beer!

Paul

Ah the joys of youth.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Just back from my (nearly) daily walk in which I did over a mile and a half. I’m quite pleased as the amount of effort and discomfort involved was no more than the first half mile after my operation. Still a way to go before tackling Helvellyn though. The downside is that I am now officially able to work in the kitchen again so I am In charge of this evening’s dinner. At least the G word is still off limits for the foreseeable future though - except for potentially some blanket weed removal from the pond in a few days’ time or so. Bl00dy Australian imports ☹️

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Por speling
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am always amused by the statement 'Civil War'.

There is nothing civil in it what so ever.

As bad an oxymoron as the term  Light Engine. 

The boss is home and much more comfortable.  Various jobs need to be done but not this afternoon. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

12 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

However, we were there first...  😏

sk01.JPG.cadc019c6ae6e5bf5148652fd2ce501b.JPG

If you want someone in blue, there's a Scottish interloper in this mob...

And a Bluecoat regiment in this bunch

sk02.JPG.20bd19fe2100ddceb39363c667a8e891.JPG

With associated camp followers looking on to the rear...

Speaking of (in)Civil wars, we had an earlier one too, the Wars of the Roses (1455–1487).  One of the participants was found recently, hiding in a council car park in Leicester...

Then there was the fracas between Stephen and Matilda (1139 - 1153)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I remember seeing a bunch of them at Howard's Castle one summer afternoon. They certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves. The two Commanding Officers appeared to be of the Large Ham school of acting, there was smoke everywhere and the artillery appeared to be on both sides simultaneously. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Not Fresh Flour by any chance?

Dave

Not sure thats in the range yet .

Ti's only a matter of time

Andy

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, rockershovel said:

I remember seeing a bunch of them at Howard's Castle one summer afternoon. They certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves. The two Commanding Officers appeared to be of the Large Ham school of acting, there was smoke everywhere and the artillery appeared to be on both sides simultaneously. 

It used to be quite easy to get a shotgun licence if you wanted to be a musketeer....

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1