Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Gaugemaster hand held Ws are great and using them with motors such as  RG7s and Mashima 1833s on layouts such as Dewsbury and Severn Mill at exhibitions I was never aware of them getting hot.

Dave

I would agree with that. However not all my locos have such motors, some are quite power hungry, especially  a 2-4-0 with a white metal body, namedcafter my late mother in law.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I would agree with that. However not all my locos have such motors, some are quite power hungry, especially  a 2-4-0 with a white metal body, namedcafter my late mother in law.

Jamie

Was that inference discovered before or after you married?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

It sounds like the start of a Les Dawson joke

My late MiL was quite a character, lovely person who droveca succession of fast cars and had a lovely turn of of phrase and a liking for red wine.  One Sunday when Fil had askked for a whisky, I brought him some Glenlivet. He asked me to put some ginger ale in it. I refused and Bessy grabbed the glass and said, "I know how to drink whisky properly". Fil was then brought some Bells that was at the back of the cupboard, with some ginger ale in it.

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

My late MiL was quite a character, lovely person who droveca succession of fast cars and had a lovely turn of of phrase and a liking for red wine.  One Sunday when Fil had askked for a whisky, I brought him some Glenlivet. He asked me to put some ginger ale in it. I refused and Bessy grabbed the glass and said, "I know how to drink whisky properly". Fil was then brought some Bells that was at the back of the cupboard, with some ginger ale in it.

Jamie

I feel your pain. A party chez nous in Kent, where Hine Antique was being watered down w lemonade.......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago Jill organised a surprise 50th birthday party for me with a large number of attendees. Among the gifts I received were six bottles of very good single malts that one of my friends, who was a whisky connoisseur, immediately took charge of and limited to those who had no intention of sullying it with any additions. One of the personnel asked for a whisky and ginger, pointing to a bottle of Caol Isla Reserve, and was told in no uncertain terms where to go for the plebeian drinks. I think that adding lemonade to Hine Antique should be a capital offence.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Of late, I have taken to letting my single malt down with a little spring water which I am led to believe is still permissible in some areas and encouraged in others.  I also use whisky stones for cooling purposes.

I've just paid HMRC their pound of flesh for my 2019-20 tax return: Literally £1.00!  Its down £0.20  on last years blood letting.

We took a stroll along the snowdrop walk at Attingham Park this afternoon.  It was raining when we got there, stopped as we walked to the entrance, and then restarted again, as we got back to the car.

The River Tern which runs through the grounds prior to it's junction with the Severn has burst it's banks and it appears that Attingham now has a rather large lake.  As a result the bridges which connect the western part of the estate to the deer park are out of use until the flood subsides.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

The River Tern passes about 400 yards from our back garden and the fields around it have been a large lake for a couple of weeks now. Fortunately it is about 100 feet below us. Judging by the flow rate, Attingham Park will get a helluva lot more water before things start to calm down.

Dave

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The River Tern passes about 400 yards from our back garden and the fields around it have been a large lake for a couple of weeks now. Fortunately it is about 100 feet below us. Judging by the flow rate, Attingham Park will get a helluva lot more water before things start to calm down.

Dave

Yes it's bad down there, and it's not helped by the River Roden also joining the Tern just upstream of Attingham. There's also the Meese and a string of other streams and brooks all adding to the mix.

It's a pity some bright person didn't think of trapping all this water in valleys and storing it for future use.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

41 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We took a stroll along the snowdrop walk at Attingham Park this afternoon.  It was raining when we got there, stopped as we walked to the entrance, and then restarted again, as we got back to the car.

The River Tern which runs through the grounds prior to it's junction with the Severn has burst it's banks and it appears that Attingham now has a rather large lake.  As a result the bridges which connect the western part of the estate to the deer park are out of use until the flood subsides.

Its a lovely place particularly in the deer park and the walled garden. It is also rather spectacular at Christmas. 

As an NT volunteer I have missed my time there as we haven't *worked* since last March. Although the mansion can be rather cold, I had 5 layers on one winter and still felt cold.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well my previous post shows the top and bottom view of one of my 16" cassettes, including an end stop and the alignment ears.  The fact that it took me 20 minutes to upload those images and I couldn't manage pics and text in the same post demonstrates my reluctance  to post images.  Bill

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

I've not bothered with alignment ears, simply a pair of bulldog clips that make the alignment and the connections.

Andi

On Dewsbury and Severn Mill we used pieces of brass channel from Eileen's that slotted over the sides of the aluminium angle.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

At first I thought it was Bill's design for a Cresta Run wagon waiting for the runners to be fitted.

Dave

Talking of Cresta, does anyone remember:

'It's frothy Man!'?

Now we know where PB got his sweet tooth from:laugh_mini:.

• Like 6
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

On Dewsbury and Severn Mill we used pieces of brass channel from Eileen's that slotted over the sides of the aluminium angle.

Dave

I've seen Eileen's brass channel, and it's quite expensive, but very shiny!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

'It's frothy Man!'?

Now you're talking....back in the day when adverts were worth watching, rather than turning the sound down until they're finished.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

'It's frothy Man!'?

I always thought he was more partial to  a mint 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Thanks Bill,

Pictures paint a thousand words, and your percy veer ance in getting them to us is much appreciated.

I have seen Bill’s cassettes being used at an exhibition. Worked very well.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Now you're talking....back in the day when adverts were worth watching, rather than turning the sound down until they're finished.

I have developed quite some skill at fast forwarding through adverts. Though I do feel silly on the odd occasion we watch “live” trying to fast forward. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

We have a pair of TV shows that we watch between 7 and 8, but we tape them.  If we start 15-20 in to the first show, we can fast forward through the adverts and catch up to the second show about halfway through.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1