Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Having created some more mess in the garage, I was required for gardening duties.

This consisted of  putting up the various frames and then netting up various soft fruit bushes.

Nyda finally decided she wanted some of the nets trimmed to a more appropriate length, rather than having acres of spare net rolled up at the end of the raised veg bed.

We still have acres of spare netting, but it's now rolled up in the summerhouse.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I set off this morning to fix the automatic door to the new hen house. Simples I thought.   Wrong.  First off there was a latch on the existing door frame so I had to put patresses in between the runners and the hut.  Then the mechanism took up 4" of vertical heigh so the door won't slide up far enough.  Never fear I'm going to make a bracket and mount it on the roof with a hole through the overhang for the operating cord.  Extending the lead to the solar panel was relatively easy.  Just one more problem, I've lost the instruction book.  Isn't life fun.however there are several Youtube videos. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

It means that the runway direction is 300 degrees magnetic. The numbers are in tens*, so east is 09, south is 18 etc.

Dave

*to the nearest whole ten degrees

Bear discovered (today/yesterday?) that magnetic north slowly moves, apparently - so in a few years’ time it may well be Runway 31 (or 29); this means runway markings and signs have to be corrected, maps updated etc etc.

All expensive stuff, apparently.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

In actual fact my  Dear Bear the magnetic poles have been drifting for some time and have completely reversed several times. So your prediction might just come true in your lifetime.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

31 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear discovered (today/yesterday?) that magnetic north slowly moves, apparently - so in a few years’ time it may well be Runway 31 (or 29); this means runway markings and signs have to be corrected, maps updated etc etc.

Apparently "magnetic north" is moving towards Russian territory.  Putin will want to prevent the Evil West from using it...

• Agree 3
  • Funny 11

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I set off this morning to fix the automatic door to the new hen house. Simples I thought.   Wrong.  First off there was a latch on the existing door France so I had to purpt patresses in between the runners and the hut.  Then the mechanism took up 4" of vertical heifpghtbso the door won't slide up far enough.  Never fear I'm going to make a bracket and mount it on the roof with a hole through the overhang for the operating cord.  Extending the lead to the solar panel was relatively easy.  Just one more problem, I've lost the instruction book.  Isn't life fipun.howeverv there are several Youtube videos. 

Jamie

I understood as far as "hen house" after which it becomes Jamie-speak.. Could someone translate?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SM42 said:

My mental maths says the other end has a big 12 at the end. 

Is that correct? 

Yes

5 hours ago, SM42 said:

They never seem to add up in my head. 

BHX's 15 and 33 don't make sense to me ....

Correct though.

As long as you remember that north is 000 (or 360), east is 090, south is 180 and west is 270 the rest is easy. For instance, if the runway in one direction is 05, i.e., 050 degrees, that is 50 degrees past north so the reciprocal is 50 degrees past south, or 180 degrees, which equals 230 degrees so drop the zero and it gives the runway as being 23.

Simples.

For the BHX example, runway 15, i.e., 150 degrees, is 30 degrees short of south, or 180 degrees, so the reciprocal is 30 degrees short of north, or 360 degrees. Hence it is 330 degrees so the runway designation is 33.

Dave  

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Yes

Correct though.

As long as you remember that north is 000 (or 360), east is 090, south is 180 and west is 270 the rest is easy. For instance, if the runway in one direction is 05, i.e., 050 degrees, that is 50 degrees past north so the reciprocal is 50 degrees past south, or 180 degrees, which equals 230 degrees so drop the zero and it gives the runway as being 23.

Simples.

For the BHX example, runway 15, i.e., 150 degrees, is 30 degrees short of south, or 180 degrees, so the reciprocal is 30 degrees short of north, or 360 degrees. Hence it is 330 degrees so the runway designation is 33.

Dave  

And if the runway is labelled anything else, you've made a terrible, terrible mistake....

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Since we have friends arriving tomorrow for a few days' stay, today has been mainly devoted to preparations. My part has been shopping, car cleaning and cooking. Well, to be honest, the car cleaning consisted chiefly of taking the car to the car wash then vacuum cleaning the inside so not that demanding. The shopping was made easier by being alone and therefore able to whizz through the shops without getting sidetracked. The cooking consisted of making some chocolate mousse and coconut biscuits and preparing a marinade for tomorrow's salmon. The most demanding part was quality testing the mousse and biscuits but someone had to do it so I put on a brave face and got on with it.

Dave 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And if the runway is labelled anything else, you've made a terrible, terrible mistake....

Like if it's got big X's on it. 

Or if it's covered in cars like Bedford Aerodrome.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

I collect old maps including marine charts. All the marine charts have the part giving magnetic north cut out of them so that they can no longer be used for navigation. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Like if it's got big X's on it. 

Or if it's covered in cars like Bedford Aerodrome.

It could be something like "The Shepherd" by Fredrick Forsyth, where an out of fuel Vampire with no instruments or radio is guided down to a moribund RAF base by a ghostly Mosquito...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shepherd

Edited by Hroth
link
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

This evening I set out to book car parking at the Co-op Live arena where we are going to see the Eagles in 4 weeks' time. The only way to do so is via a web site but to say that the web site is complete sh!t would be understating things and it is blindingly obvious that whoever designed it (designed? - bit of a misnomer there) did not have anyone test it before subjecting the poor suffering public to it. After trying for over half an hour to get somewhere near achieving the aim of booking a space I was just about to give up when I tried about the only thing I thus far hadn't done, mainly since it made no sense to do so. And guess what? It worked!! I therefore accepted the on-screen assurance that my booking was being confirmed via an email but when the email arrived it was just to say that I then had to download an app and then....... suffice it to say that eventually I succeeded but FFS what a performance. And, of course, the only way that you can now gain access to the car park is by having the booking displayed on the app, which effectively bars anyone not having a smart phone from being able to park there. The world really is being taken over by the witless.

Rant? You betcha.

Dave

You probably got the portal for the Hotel California by mistake...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

I understood as far as "hen house" after which it becomes Jamie-speak.. Could someone translate?

Simplez really he couldn't get his hen through his french doors.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 14

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

This evening I set out to book car parking at the Co-op Live arena where we are going to see the Eagles in 4 weeks' time. The only way to do so is via a web site but to say that the web site is complete sh!t would be understating things and it is blindingly obvious that whoever designed it (designed? - bit of a misnomer there) did not have anyone test it before subjecting the poor suffering public to it. After trying for over half an hour to get somewhere near achieving the aim of booking a space I was just about to give up when I tried about the only thing I thus far hadn't done, mainly since it made no sense to do so. And guess what? It worked!! I therefore accepted the on-screen assurance that my booking was being confirmed via an email but when the email arrived it was just to say that I then had to download an app and then....... suffice it to say that eventually I succeeded but FFS what a performance. And, of course, the only way that you can now gain access to the car park is by having the booking displayed on the app, which effectively bars anyone not having a smart phone from being able to park there. The world really is being taken over by the witless.

Rant? You betcha.

Dave

Now if only you'd mentioned this I could have helped. We here at Manutopean car reserved parking establishment would have only been to happy to cater to your needs. We have four levels of service. There's the Premier at 1 K. This option provides liveried staff member meeting you at your preferred drop of point with champagne and nibbles of your choice; removal of car to secure location where it is washed, two layers of wax applied, cleaned inside and finally fueled; the vehicle is then returned to the designated collection point. We then have the Executive at £750 where you get all of the above less the nibbles and the champagne. Or there's the Welcome at £500 where you get the same as the Executive less one coat of wax and no fuel filling. Finally we have the Entry at £100 where we joy round Manutopea and your lucky if you get your car back at the end of the night.

So do delay as we are in high demand. As we say here at MCRP you've tried the best now try the £#&££#@ (censored)

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, bbishop said:

Never fear Bill the gobbledygook has been sorted. I will be continuing with the job today. Fortunately the hens are not due to arrive till late June. 

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Never fear Bill the gobbledygook has been sorted. I will be continuing with the job today. Fortunately the hens are not due to arrive till late June. 

Jamie

Do you need a poultry licence in France.

In the UK, the latest rules will be:

'All kept birds, not just poultry, will need to be registered with the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA); the threshold number of birds kept requiring registration will be reduced from 50 to one; and all keepers of birds will be mandated to review their records annually. There will be no requirement for birds such as budgerigars, parrots, or canaries that are kept in a birdhouse within a dwelling to be registered.

The implementation of these new requirements will be in two phases. The mandatory registration of all bird keepers will apply from 1 September 2024 in Scotland and 1 October 2024 in England and Wales, with the mandatory updates from 12 months after those dates.'

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Spoil sport. I think my version was more accurate.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Do you need a poultry licence in France.

In the UK, the latest rules will be:

'All kept birds, not just poultry, will need to be registered with the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA); the threshold number of birds kept requiring registration will be reduced from 50 to one; and all keepers of birds will be mandated to review their records annually. There will be no requirement for birds such as budgerigars, parrots, or canaries that are kept in a birdhouse within a dwelling to be registered.

The implementation of these new requirements will be in two phases. The mandatory registration of all bird keepers will apply from 1 September 2024 in Scotland and 1 October 2024 in England and Wales, with the mandatory updates from 12 months after those dates.'

Always comforting to see that the government have their eyes on things that REALLY matter...

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

you need a poultry licence in France.

For more than 500 chickens. Once upon a time Aditi wanted to move to France she have a house with chickens in the yard. It never happened and isn’t going to now. 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1