Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

“About ten” would be “dixaine”, I suppose? 

No, about 10 really is dizaine. Perhaps the French equivalent of Bakers Dozen.

I have noticed how some people interpret “pinch of” in recipes. In some cases “handful “ would be more accurate. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

No, about 10 really is dizaine. Perhaps the French equivalent of Bakers Dozen.

I have noticed how some people interpret “pinch of” in recipes. In some cases “handful “ would be more accurate. 

A measure I never really got to grips with, was the traditional Irish one of “a rake of”, also “a whole rake of” which might be more, or less, depending on context..

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

A measure I never really got to grips with, was the traditional Irish one of “a rake of”, also “a whole rake of” which might be more, or less, depending on context..

I though Rake off was the Japanese version of a popular TV series.

• Funny 4

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I though Rake off was the Japanese version of a popular TV series.

Do they stand on their heads, while having their feet oiled  and ice water poured down their underpants? Actually I’d happily watch most of the presenting teams of the various bake-off shows being put through that, it’s no more than most of them deserve, although Mary Berry is “excused games” .... yes, that really IS a gameshow in which a contestant eats spaghetti in a drier...

C16B6B68-EC81-465E-BCD3-7CFA278F0078.gif

Edited by rockershovel
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

It is slightly chilly here this morning, with sub zero temperatures.

The temperatures are certainly upsetting the car batteries, and despite some usage, I'm having to put them on charge every so often to keep them topped up.  I have done run a couple of tests using a smart charger and they are both retaining about 90% of their original capacity.

It does make you wonder at how this weather is affecting those who run a BEV.  I suspect that the range is somewhat reduced over those advertised.

Wales v Scotland will be an interesting match later on today:  Let's hope Gareth Davies doesn't repeat the previous weekend's last second gift to the opposition which nearly cost Wales the match.  The Scots, having given England 'a damn good thrashing' last weekend, will be on top form, and eager to capitalise on their victory.  I'm getting the bottle of Teeling's (being Irish Whiskey, it's not got a team bias this afternoon) prepared for whichever outcome occurs.

England might get lucky this afternoon:laugh_mini:.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that England will beat Italy today but by how much is debatable. The Wales Scotland game should be quite interesting with my cheers behind the men in red. Since I still have some Penderyn left and can actually say Llanfairpwychgwyngilgogerychyllantisiliogogogoch (if not actually spell it?) due to some misspent youth in Anglesey, where I have lived in total for nearly four years and developed a liking for both barabrith and Welsh cakes, I think that HH will let me have one of his spare red shirts should my disgust with England deepen.

Have a good weekend people.

Dave

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Brrr!  0c out and a gale - wind chill is 'considerable'.

Interesting comment about BEV's and cold, Richard.  I read something last week about a Tesla owner in northern US, where due to cold (very!) conditions it's battery capacity was only 60% when fully charged - and it took 5 days to charge on a domestic supply!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It is slightly chilly here this morning, with sub zero temperatures.

The temperatures are certainly upsetting the car batteries, and despite some usage, I'm having to put them on charge every so often to keep them topped up.  I have done run a couple of tests using a smart charger and they are both retaining about 90% of their original capacity.

It does make you wonder at how this weather is affecting those who run a BEV.  I suspect that the range is somewhat reduced over those advertised.

Apparently some BEV's have heaters that keep them above a certain temperature, in fact warm enough to prevent icing up. You might think that it would drain the battery even more but if it put on charge most nights it shouldn't be a problem.

4 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Brrr!  0c out and a gale - wind chill is 'considerable'.

Interesting comment about BEV's and cold, Richard.  I read something last week about a Tesla owner in northern US, where due to cold (very!) conditions it's battery capacity was only 60% when fully charged - and it took 5 days to charge on a domestic supply!

He didn't say how old the batteries were, taking five days to charge even in those conditions indicates that the batteries needed replacing. I was looking into getting a BEV and as my bank account will not stretch to a new one I looked at the second hand ones. I was surprised at how cheap they were  but all of the cheapest ones had the caveat 'requires new batteries'. New batteries can cost between £2,000 to £5,000 depending on make and model.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I have been looking at the information regarding the newer BEVs that will be coming on line in the near future.

An all American Ford Pickup with a range of nearly 500 miles and the ability/battery capacity to tow a trailer does appeal.

Previously, such a vehicle would be out of the question due to the massive running costs(in the UK).  But an electric one is a different proposition.

The only downside would be Nyda requiring a boarding ladder to get into it.

Unfortunately they've not quoted a price on that yet, but I know it won't be cheap!

In any case, I have more pressing things to get with my cash, so the chances of me getting a BEV at present would appear to be limited to a mobility scooter.

• Like 7

Attempting my final assignment this morning.

There won't be an electronic Yeti.  I'm awaiting a suitable "layout" carrier before taking the plunge.  Meanwhile there are 4üe-28, and similar vehicles, to be acquired!  Plus a brace of BR 98.8 locomotives.

Bill

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The only downside would be Nyda requiring a boarding ladder to get into it.

Aditi has some difficulty with taller vehicles. She likes minibus drivers who rush round with a step stool for her. When we had a Jeep Liberty in Canada, there was a strap to grab for shorter people to haul themselves in with. In was so cold I could park next to frozen snow for her to step out onto, hoping it wasn’t deep! She doesn’t have any problem driving the vehicles just getting in and out.  I think our Evoque is a bit lower then the Freelander and she doesn’t have any problem . We are being very frugal this year with our petrol usage.  I put £48 worth of petrol in last week. It was the first time since February of last year and I suspect very little had been consumed since March of last year. 
Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with not using the car too much and only putting small amounts of fuel into the tank is that fuel is meant to be used!

Fuel becomes stale.

It will work, but not as well.

Starting can be an issue and there could be a drop off in engine performance.

Fuel technology can be quite complex and there is certainly a very fine balancing act that needs to be maintained to get the best performance and longevity out of a petroleum based fuel.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 7