Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I assumed the statement was ironic. I pictured the fruit being soft, over-ripe, and delivered from a distance with considerable velocity.

I assumed it was something like sloe gin. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I managed to string the anti vibration excuse out for a good 4 months after my retinal repair

All I did was sit around in a comfy chair in a dust free environment whilst being fed fruit and cake.

I especially appreciated the spirit in which the fruit was given.

Grape or grain?

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I assumed the statement was ironic. I pictured the fruit being soft, over-ripe, and delivered from a distance with considerable velocity.

You forgot fermented.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

All three,  basically I'd create an alcoholic beverage based on muesli!

One of the medical relatives is very keen on home fermented products. There are jugs of stuff everywhere. Lockdown has prevented us being introduced to his latest things but it wouldn’t surprise me if he had started fermenting muesli.

• Funny 6

On 05/03/2021 at 03:18, Happy Hippo said:

Nice Crane! I used to have that colour Meccano!  My brother's (14 years younger than me) was yellow and silver.

I can't speak for all of the elderly and infirm frequenting this thread, but Dave Hunt and I can put most of our problems down to being exacerbated by military service.  That is to say that we might have got them anyway, but service conditions did nothing to mitigate the situation.  

Best give up karting now, wrap yourself in cotton wool and a duvet then lie shivering in your basement before it's too late!:laugh_mini:

Thank you HH, I've also got a fair bit of the yellow and silver stuff, and even a partially complete French Meccano set in blue and gold. For some reason I prefer the green and red though. Currently the crane, or Gerald as its been dubbed is receiving some modifications, (ballast in the boiler) and hopefully I can acquire a roller bearing in the not to distant future. 

Yes that is one of the downsides to karting, the pain afterwards for years.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Such fun!

The X3 decided to have a little tantrum and the drivers window would not open or close:  You could hear the motor running but that was it.

Yesterday afternoon I stripped the door door panelling off to have a look.  Of course, BMW use a super sticky silicone type adhesive to secure the inner door lining/insulator/weather shield so quite a bit of time was needed to get liner off without damaging it.

Once that was removed the culprit was found:  The cable had rusted and snapped.   A check on Ebay found a replacement (called a window regulator) so that was ordered up, and the old regulator removed.  This required quite a bit of brute strength, although ignorance was not an option as some of the fiddling to get the parts out of the door also involved quite a bit of cunning.

The question is, when the new regulator arrives, will it be a straightforward installation, or will it be another exercise worthy of Taskmaster?

Of course, that was not the only outlay in expenditure.  Nyda was demanding a hand operated garden vacuum/blower to get into the places that the  'Hurrican' can't reach, so she is getting one for Mother's Day, as it will be far more use than flowers or chocolate. 

Just in case that's not enough, I've also ordered her a rather handy belt sander.

The old one had expired over six months ago, and despite the decision to pull back from major diy tasks in the future, it's loss has been keenly felt over.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

although ignorance was not an option as some of the fiddling to get the parts out of the door also involved quite a bit of cunning.

I couldn’t see how to remove the wing mirror cover on my car so,I could replace the light fitting. Fortunately there was a YouTube video. In former times I always seemed to have the car that wasn’t included in the Haynes manual.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

All three,  basically I'd create an alcoholic beverage based on muesli!

Any vegetable matter can be used to produce alcohol. Though I wouldn't like to drink some of them.

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Cauliflower, Asparagus and Brussel Sprout Gin might be interesting!

I would not wish to be standing immediately behind someone who has drunk that and built up a head of steam so to speak.

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Danemouth said:

I would not wish to be standing immediately behind someone who has drunk that and built up a head of steam so to speak.

Dave

Hmm, this could be a big surprise at the next Small Cardiff Show.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Cauliflower, Asparagus and Brussel Sprout Gin might be interesting!

Not fatal, well not to the drinker. Alcohol derived from pine resin (wood alcohol) is lethal.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I've been banging my head against the proverbial brick wall this evening trying to get a single slip and a four turnouts into a track plan.  Unfortunately where they end up is at the end of the board where it ends up as a curve of  up/down/siding at ever decreasing radii.

You can see it is not going to work in a reasonable distance and the formation ends up at about twice the length of the straight line version I've already drawn out. 

Back to Plan A seems to be the way to progress this scheme. (Via the Teelings)

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Further to my last, a reversal of the track plan to board interface so that the sidings are on the outside of the curve has helped the situation somewhat.  

However, I now have difficulty in accessing a hidden siding/cassette which is now against a wall.

I have come to the conclusion that I need a rather large outbuilding to house what is a pretty simple concept.

There is a spare hanger up at the old High Ercall airfield!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

We had a power outage earlier on this morning.

It was a good excuse to do a little bit of loco weathering, although I'm as a bit of a loss to understand how a matt acrylic has ended up with a slightly glossy finish:  I did agitate the paint well before applying!  A quick drift of matt varnish from an aerosol can will soon flatten it off.

Whilst this was going on I was also able to watch a couple of  blue tits taking in  nest building materiel into one of the boxes on the oak tree.

I have a few different boxes around, but this one is by far the most popular........

I need to put the rent up!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I might will be buying a micro layout, one of two on offer. Fortunately I might be able to purchase both layouts. My gas/electric bill arrived this morning showing a credit of £600 so I've asked for a refund. I pay a fixed sum by direct debit so therefore the account at this time of year should show a small deficit.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I might will be buying a micro layout, one of two on offer. Fortunately I might be able to purchase both layouts. My gas/electric bill arrived this morning showing a credit of £600 so I've asked for a refund. I pay a fixed sum by direct debit so therefore the account at this time of year should show a small deficit.

I (We) shall look forward to an in depth review of this layout when you finally get your hands on it.

Such an insight will curtail (albeit temporarily) my droning about things 7 mm scale.

On a completely different slant. I am usually very good at estimating sizes, and volumes so my latest estimate was slightly off the mark:  In fact it was way off the mark.

I  had decided that there was so little Teelings left in the bottle, that it would amount to a pleasant  nip whilst I prepared the evening meal.

When I poured it into the whisky tumbler, I was taken aback to find that on completion of the pour, the tumbler was half full of whiskey.

Obviously, there was no way I could pour any back without losing some, so I've been forced to grit my teeth and finish it all off.

It's a tough job but someone has to do it, and it might as well be me.

I think I'll have to git got get anuther sum moor anuthhfur bittl o t'stuff.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have come to the conclusion that I need a rather large outbuilding to house what is a pretty simple concept.

There is a spare hanger up at the old High Ercall airfield!

Simples, move to France.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I (We) shall look forward to an in depth review of this layout when you finally get your hands on it.

Such an insight will curtail (albeit temporarily) my droning about things 7 mm scale.

Here's a distraction then, so folk can moan and drone on about my  layout instead!

P1150226.JPG.d081a442c5d83e6e5e3142b482b797d6.JPG

• Like 15