Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I very occasionly drove my employers vans then one time before I was allowed to drive the van I was told I had to be tested (new H&S regulations or as it turned out backside covering), I passed the test no problems with full marks. I then learnt that the examiner passed everyone as he considered it a waste of time. You could have turned up for the test with a white stick and a guide dog and still be passed.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

For some reason my last post was sent before I'd finished so I've just completed it again.

As HH knows, in the Forces we had to take driving tests when posted to different theatres. The rules were sometimes enforced to an idiotic level though, such as in the Falklands where the MT section at Mount Pleasant insisted on conducting tests every time we went down there. I once arrived back in UK only to be sent back south a few weeks later as the guy who replaced me had been given compassionate leave and someone current in Falklands operations was needed ASAP. I couldn't believe it when the powers that be insisted on me doing all the arrival niffnaff and trivia including a driving test. "Sorry, Sir, rules is rules," was a phrase I got quite used to.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 12

3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

For some reason my last post was sent before I'd finished so I've just completed it again.

As HH knows, in the Forces we had to take driving tests when posted to different theatres. The rules were sometimes enforced to an idiotic level though, such as in the Falklands where the MT section at Mount Pleasant insisted on conducting tests every time we went down there. I once arrived back in UK only to be sent back south a few weeks later as the guy who replaced me had been given compassionate leave and someone current in Falklands operations was needed ASAP. I couldn't believe it when the powers that be insisted on me doing all the arrival niffnaff and trivia including a driving test. "Sorry, Sir, rules is rules," was a phrase I got quite used to.

Dave

I think I've had the misfortune to work with quite of few of similar attitude.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Two quotes have come to mind.  One is.

Rules are for the blind obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

Air to air refuelling  is like trying to shove wet spaghetti up a cats ar5e.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Neither of these activities, for some reason, I am in a hurry to try .

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Or as a mate of mine put it, "Like trying to take a flying f**k at a rolling doughnut." Mind you, when you are in the Iceland/Faroes gap at night in winter with the fuel gauges knocking on the bottom stops it does tend to concentrate the mind wonderfully.

G'night each.

Dave 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

The cat'll be pleased to hear that.

It's a good thing that Percy Shaw, from Halifax saw a Cat's eyes reflected in his headlights rather than it's ae5e otherwise he would have invented a pencil sharpener instead of the catseye.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

It's a good thing that Percy Shaw, from Halifax saw a Cat's eyes reflected in his headlights rather than it's ae5e otherwise he would have invented a pencil sharpener instead of the catseye.

Jamie

The person who invented those rubber tea towel holders had a cat

Andy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Think he'd know about that.

Especially if he was sitting in the seat in just his underpants trying to put his slippers on.

Can you imagine what the neighbours would say seeing him parked in a local tree?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Especially if he was sitting in the seat in just his underpants trying to put his slippers on.

Can you imagine what the neighbours would say seeing him parked in a local tree?

Me I'd be more worried about the tree. Getting a parachute out of the branches is a s............    B...........'- other expletives are available.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Me I'd be more worried about the tree. Getting a parachute out of the branches is a s............    B...........'- other expletives are available.

It was accepted that if one went into a tree by the time it had been recovered, it was not to be used again.

The exception being when you could lift it out:  Ie it came out in the reverse of how it went in.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SM42 said:

The person who invented those rubber tea towel holders had a cat

Andy

Now that explains that dodgy mark on Bear's Tea Towel that won't wash out......

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just given myself tinnitus been watching a You Tube video of street running and switching on a shortline in Utica New York in the snow. The line goes down a domestic street and into a brewery, parked cars don't help. I will share the link if anyone's interested but it's 40 minutes of those bl##dy bells. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

It's a pity you couldn't have taken him on a 6-7 G joyride around the islands at low level.

Then tell him he'd get one the next time you were down, and if he turned up at any other airfield you were base on he'd get that honour yet again.

Been away on leave?  Just get in the back seat...

• Funny 6

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It was accepted that if one went into a tree by the time it had been recovered, it was not to be used again.

The exception being when you could lift it out:  Ie it came out in the reverse of how it went in.

I wasn't thinking necessarily about the parachute more about the damage done to the tree.

• Funny 6

I haven't told you about Wednesday's callers.

First one, with a clipboard and a hazy concept of social distancing, told me he had to repoint some ridge tiles.  When he told me that sand 'n' cement was illegal, I advised him that he was trespassing and should exit my property forthwith.  He did.

Then, five minutes apart, two characters who wanted to jet wash my  front drive.  I struggle with the concept of a pristine drive.  I like mine with lichen on the bricks and moss between them.  Anyway laddie boys will have no interest in the lichen, all they want to do is remove the sharp sand from between the bricks so they can charge me for the replacement.  At least they accepted a "no".

Bill

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, figworthy said:

I'm not sure that I want to know how you know. :scratchhead:

Adrian

It's a quote from the book about the Vulcan raid on Port Stanley. However both Mr Hunt and a mutual friend, Uncle T say it's an accurate description.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It's a quote from the book about the Vulcan raidvon PortvStanley. However both MrvHuntvand a mutual friend, Uncle T say it's an accurate description.

Jamie

With defence cuts being what they are, it was probably the nearest they could get to the real thing without climbing into an aircraft.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

A breezy morning, but the sun is out.

I wonder what shirt I should put on today?

I know, the red one!

Once our preferred contractor has been to look at replacing the conservatory flooring, I shall have to make some Welsh Cakes before we sit down for the match this afternoon.

'A hen laid a haddock on top of a tree....'

• Like 5