Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

If I was going to wztch the rugby I would have to decide whether to wear s blue or white shirt. I strongly suspect 5hat the only colours I'll be wearing will be grey black and Midland red on my fingers.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Morning all,

Today is the first day of spring break, so we are driving it Santa Fe New Mexico for a isolated holiday. It’s 10 hour drive, and we’re just over an hour in so I’ll post photos as the scenery changes.

E1D1D182-BBE7-4102-A122-9377ACAD5B9B.jpeg.9b8bd068233cba03a557b5fa4255353f.jpeg

Above we see a rare Oklahoma fog, set over an Ozark forest between Tulsa and Kelleyville. 

Douglas

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My only visit to Oklahoma was to world-famous* Boise City in the far-western reaches of OK! A city; no, a whole county without a single traffic light (in 2014)! If all goes well, I may get back there later this year after a visit to Farmington, NM and the Cumbres & Toltec RR.

* The only city in the continental US to be bombed in WW2 ............................................

No, not by one of Herman's JU-88s but by a B-17:

100_9073.JPG.e369e162ac6ebcadeb88736c2106fb8f.JPG

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To make minor editorial changes.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Wales won again this afternoon, but was I the only one who noticed a distinct drop off in performance and quality once some of the 'bigger names' were replaced?

There were still plenty of excellent players on the field. but it appeared that there was no one prepared to take on the mantle of captain.

Well, I'm sure it happened, but there was a lack of physical presence, and no clear direction from a single player.

Perhaps it was a combination of the planned replacement of players, plus the two disallowed tries*, but it was obvious that the foot had come off the gas pedal.

*I've no issue with the ref's decisions about voiding the Welsh tries.  Wayne Barnes is probably the best international ref on the circuit.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

spring break,

Aditi’s uncle from California is setting off for a socially distant golfing break in Arizona with all the other members of the golf club who have had their two vaccine doses. Non-golfing partners will be doing “something in the desert”. 
We booked a Mediterranean cruise holiday for October  2021 before Covid was around. Many of the cruises shortly before it have been cancelled. We don’t have to decide until 30 days before the cruise. We will probably defer it to 2022.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

My only visit to Oklahoma was to world-famous* Boise City in the far-western reaches of OK! A city; no, a whole county without a single traffic light (in 2014)! If all goes well, I may get back there later this year after a visit to Farmington, NM and the Cumbres & Toltec RR.

* The only city in the continental US to be bombed in WW2 ............................................

No, not by one of Herman's JU-88s but by a B-17:

100_9073.JPG.e369e162ac6ebcadeb88736c2106fb8f.JPG

Enjoy your trip.

Quite some navigation error.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully I will have a layout by this time Wednesday. Only a small micro-layout but the essential thing is it will fit into the car. I will probably make a few changes but firstly I'll be playing trains. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

* The only city in the continental US to be bombed in WW2 .......................................

Didn't the Japanese manage to bomb Oregon from a sub-launched plane and from balloons via a timer? Sorry to contradict

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Quite some navigation error.

USAAF bomb aimers always used to claim that the Norden bomb sight allowed them to drop a bomb into a pickle barrel from 20,000ft.

When this accuracy was questioned, a member of the RAF pointed out this was entirely possible, providing the pickle barrel was the size of Berlin.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Didn't the Japanese manage to bomb Oregon from a sub-launched plane and from balloons via a timer? Sorry to contradict

The Japanese attack on Oregon wasn’t a city as mentioned in Dave’s (J S Bach) post. It was a forest area. The balloon attacks were also incendiary attacks in an attempt to cause fires. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

09 Sep 42 according to Wiki.

Oregon was a big place!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Yes indeed, they used a balloon with a timer. There were a few casualties some of them fatal. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu-Go_balloon_bomb

The British were more successful with Operation Outward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Outward

• Informative/Useful 5

23 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Yes, but Johann states "a city".  Bill

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The layout I'm hoping to buy on Wednesday is based 'East London near the District Line'. It has one track fitted with third and fourth rail. I will change that to part of the East London Line that was never completed. There was a spur constructed between Whitechapel and Shoreditch heading north and meant to connect to the GER line running north from Bethnal Green at Cambridge Heath. Only the part from the ELR as far as the main line viaduct into Liverpool Street was built but I'm going to imagine the line had been completed and was now the base of a preservation society.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The layout I'm hoping to buy on Wednesday is based 'East London near the District Line'. It has one track fitted with third and fourth rail. I will change that to part of the East London Line that was never completed. There was a spur constructed between Whitechapel and Shoreditch heading north and meant to connect to the GER line running north from Bethnal Green at Cambridge Heath. Only the part from the ELR as far as the main line viaduct into Liverpool Street was built but I'm going to imagine the line had been completed and was now the base of a preservation society.

Was that the viaduct that there was all the fuss about demolishing a few years ago, probably to do with the reopening of the East London line.

Jamie

• Agree 2