Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oh have we stopped talking about boats? I was soooo looking forward to another round of what everybody goes/went boating in not. Oops sorry there my cynicism went into overdrive. Does that sometimes first thing in the morning. So you were saying? Salop?

Just for you......

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm told that Salop is derived from an old French term 'salopberia' but don't know what that meant. Can Jamie shed light on that? Or is it not acceptable in a family show like this?

Dave

Well it's like Siberia, but without the really low temperatures and the salt mines.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Salope is a slovenly woman with loose morals, a in English.

"insert word here"

Not to be confused with Sabrina, tutelary deity of the River Severn, who comes to the defence of maidens whose integrity is threatened by unwanted male attentions.

I understood that Salop was a name given to the county by the Normans, who had difficulty in pronouncing Shropshire - much along the lines by which Snottingham became Nottingham.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If you call a woman a Salope over here, stand well back or your face might start to hurt. Though Phil's version may be the dictionary definiti9n, the usage means that she charges for her services.  Two of our friends had a spectacular fall out when one called the other a salope.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Who opened the sky this morning?

I needn't have watered the new hedge last night if I'd known!

Could you really not have held on until you got home?

Walk before toward the sea-side;

go on the right hand: I will but look upon the

hedge and follow you.

Wm. Shakespeare, The Winters Tale, Act 4 Scene 4. Written from experience as a lad growing up in Warwickshire, I'd say.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

A trip to Morgan's to access the pillar drill was made this afternoon.

I now have a set of door plugs for our neighbour's doors.

No doubt my replacement power drill will arrive in the next day or so.

Having looked at some of the very well made pillar drill that appear on Youtube, I am tempted to make a new drill table that will bolt onto the existing base.

Having the ability to easily clamp work down using T track clamps, would be far easier than the usual bolts to hold down a machine vice. 

Of course I'd need to get some T track and clamps, but fortunately Banggood is my friend!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

So Salop might have been derived from salopberia, which based on previous posts could mean somewhere full of people with dodgy morals where you could be sent as a punishment? Sounds about right.

G'night all.

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

So Salop might have been derived from salopberia, which based on previous posts could mean somewhere full of people with dodgy morals where you could be sent as a punishment? Sounds about right.

G'night all.

Dave

Is that why I'm paid to stay away?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Does that indicate that you are either someone with dodgy morals or someone deserving of punishment? I know you were in the Army and you follow the GWR, Richard, but I didn't think you were that bad......

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening all,

The spring rainy season has begun here in Oklahoma, a picture of part of the yard during one of our all day varying intensity downpours is below. It will be like this off and on for three weeks, with the temperature slowly increasing. If you’ve ever been to New Orleans on a spring day that’s what it feels like outside at the moment. Other than that not much has happened today.

52E786AF-597C-4CE2-90E6-4560F4C274D9.jpeg.f14d8f226e1413e68c353cdc27881202.jpeg

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Does that indicate that you are either someone with dodgy morals or someone deserving of punishment? I know you were in the Army and you follow the GWR, Richard, but I didn't think you were that bad......

Dave

Just wait till Big H snaffles yer cake....

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

It's a nice sunny start to the day and I'm off shortly to pick up some planking and some white emulsion paint.

However, they are for two completely separate tasks and the closest they will get to each other will be in the car on the way home.

I have noticed that over the past 12 months or so timber prices have been creeping up.

Perhaps it's me but I have also noticed a distinct decline in quality of sawn and planed timber.

I suspect it is down to rushing the drying process so most 'planed straight' ends up both bowed and twisted.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Someone determined to get a Darwin award.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/19265959.motorbike-speeds-oncoming-traffic-a127/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=bb90737e-d6c0-449b-a4c2-694f121acce4

No helmet or protective gear (and almost certainly no licence or insurance).

But you have to realise that according to those who are into social care, the rider is a victim. Those around him whose lives have been affected by his behaviour are the villains of the piece.

(Sorry, I forgot to switch off my cynical mode)

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 6

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

But you have to realise that according to those who are into social care, the rider is a victim. Those around him whose lives have been affected by his behaviour are the villains of the piece.

Not quite HH as they are all victims and as such should be treated with sympathy, counselling and a free holiday somewhere in order to get over the trauma.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

snip<

I have noticed that over the past 12 months or so timber prices have been creeping up.

A friend who visited yesterday and happens to be Canadian was saying the industry selling price of 'lumber' has increased threefold there in the last year.  Although he's been away from the country for some time he keeps in touch with economics there having being, er, important in the money world - he designed it!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The speed limit on that particular piece of road is 50 mph. A truck would be unable to swerve like the car did in the article. Truck doing 50 MPH vs. motorbike doing 50 MPH+ = SPLAT!

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Not quite HH as they are all victims and as such should be treated with sympathy, counselling and a free holiday somewhere in order to get over the trauma.

Before or after the SPLAT!:jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Funny 5

36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The speed limit on that particular piece of road is 50 mph. A truck would be unable to swerve like the car did in the article. Truck doing 50 MPH vs. motorbike doing 50 MPH+ = SPLAT!

Before or after the SPLAT!:jester:

All depends of course on how much of the SPLAT can be recovered.:P

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I got the paint, but some horrible person had cleared out the timber rack of the sizes I wanted.

I'll try again next week.

In the meantime, there are other construction/repair tasks that can be got on with:  I'll start again tomorrow.

Tonight we will be partaking of some omelettes.

We have a glut of eggs as the Bantams at Morgan's have started laying at a fair old rate.

Of course he also has a load in the incubator, so more Silkies are in the offing.  I am not tempted to get back into chicken ownership again, although I might have been persuaded if the bantams had been Sussex Buffs.

The Sussex Buffs sounds a bit like an ancient Infantry Regiment that recruited along the south coast!

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1