Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I've no idea what happened here.

image.png.46143b70b70eb41c3c450c6e0e561800.png

It looks as if the building top centre has been pushed off of its foundations and itself knocking the box car off of its trucks.

Edited by PhilJ W
fat finger syndrome
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

That must have been a while ago. 

GTR 4540 (a GP9) was remanufactured to GP9R 4629 in 1992 and went to Carolina Coastal in 2009. (Cdn Trackside Guide)

Edited by BR60103
typographical
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Well according to my spam box i am a millionaire in bitcoin several times over and yet i keep getting sent more

It is an interesting concept mining for something that doesnt exist

Is it open cast or longwall method

Perhaps as it's a new industry they have started with bell pits.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

That must have been a while ago. 

GTR 4540 (a GP9) was remanufactured to GP9R 4629 in 1992 and went to Carolina Coastal in 2009. (Cdn Trackside Guide)

Going by the (new?) cars on the train I would say its late 60's early 70's. As American cars are identified by year model an expert on American cars might be able to tie it down even more.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

image.png.df5de745e6e94592c1d77059650f5bd9.png

When Bear and I are on a cake hunt, we are very selective in how we obtain entry.

As the above picture shows, we just removed the entire cake van body off the chassis and took it elsewhere to enjoy the contents.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, bbishop said:

My last day at work was Monday and they closed down the team yesterday.  We finished with a Zoom meeting and will meet for a drink on the south bank in a couple of months.  I will miss the team (a mix of LAS staff and SJA volunteers) because we achieved an almost impossible result a year ago.  We all hope there isn't a third surge in the autumn and the team has to be resurrected.  Bill

Well done Bill.

Now enjoy your 'retirement' and catch up on all those outstanding jobs.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Perhaps Bear and/or HH heard that there was cake in the consist?

Dave

It wasn't us, we weren't there and we nothing about it....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, polybear said:

It wasn't us, we weren't there and we nothing about it....

Heard that one before - "Some big bears did it and ran away - honest."

Hearty congratulations and many thanks to Bill for what he has been doing for the benefit of all of us. I'll buy you a beer (or several) when next we meet ( I would offer cake and whisky but you know the sort that attracts....)

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Methinks the bear protests too much...

It's a smoke screen.

I can vouch for PB attending a CSA (Cake Scoffers Anonymous) field trip in another part of the country at the time of the alleged offence.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's a smoke screen.

I can vouch for PB attending a CSA (Cake Scoffers Anonymous) field trip in another part of the country at the time of the alleged offence.

You were there too?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

You were there too?

I think we need to check our cake reserves as I have feeling some bodies have been out on 'manoeuvres'. I know need to 'dissappear' just in case I've said to much.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Afternoon all,

A lengthy run at the track was had, probably around 2 1/2 hours. On the way home our way was blocked by the BNSF freight seen below, so we took a detour past the Oklahoma Forge. Outside they have to probably Nagel or Chambersburg steam hammers, also seen below. Some may remember I posted about these here, but didn’t have any photos. 

E29AF439-11DC-41B4-8841-47C5C20B5CFC.jpeg.2a6d3d48dad15f5b0aa64a1ab4259ee4.jpeg

9E8FE48D-F66E-4177-852A-272D80BC8A49.jpeg.3bcba6d7c3cee55bb0f0bcbeef72207f.jpeg

Next weekend dad and I will be attending our local steam rally, aka the Pawnee Steam and Gas engine Show. It’s rumored that Kory Anderson is bringing the 150 HP Case new build traction engine down from Minnesota. The show is a fairly big event in USA Steam so often gets some good engines. They have their own collection of stationary engines, including a very large Allis Chalmers Corliss engine and dynamo from a zinc plant west of here, so it should be entertaining.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Going by the (new?) cars on the train I would say its late 60's early 70's. As American cars are identified by year model an expert on American cars might be able to tie it down even more.

They are General Motors, around 1968 to 1972 era. I think that the blue one is a Pontiac, possibly a GTO.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was the course director:

'Look Cake... 3-2-1Go!'

The professionals amongst us had already smelled the cake and were busily chompin' long before those words were even thought of, let alone spoken....

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

They are General Motors, around 1968 to 1972 era. I think that the blue one is a Pontiac, possibly a GTO.

I suppose the next question is does that tie in with the type and condition of the locomotive? Over to the experts in that field.

I saw Dad yesterday at Whitchurch and although he still can't stand unaided he seemed better than before. The scans he had ruled out blood clots as a cause of his pain when trying to stand but the medics haven't come up with any further ideas as yet. The next time he will see a doctor is on Tuesday morning so I've booked a visit for later in the day and hope to be able to discuss his case with someone.

The nurse who looked after him before the ambulance arrived at the Oswestry vaccine centre when he had the fall has sent him a get well card with the message that as soon as he is able she will personally organise a second injection for him and look after him when he attends. Aren't some people lovely?

Enjoy Sunday folks.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I suppose the next question is does that tie in with the type and condition of the locomotive? Over to the experts in that field.

GTW 4540 was built 3/1957, b/n 22848, as part of order number 5513, and looked like this for more than 20 years, so well past the date on which such autos would be transported. It seems to have carried that winterisation hatch (the lumpy cover at the further end of the long hood) throughout. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a sunny and calm morning:  no doubt outside working will feature heavily in the day's activities.

Having said that, I also need to put a second coat of paint on a door frame and then rehang the door.

We also have a breakfast 'conference call' with the Reading faction at 1000 at the request of our eldest granddaughter.

She want to tell us all about what has been happening in school.

If the Covid restrictions continue to be eased, they will make a visit over the half term holiday (last week in May).

Well, I wrote that some time earlier this morning and then forgot to post it!

We've just finished the family chat and can now get on with the serious issues of enjoying Sunday.

Dave's message regarding his father has pre-empted my next question.

I hope that all goes well with his recovery.  Certainly he'll be better served by his move to Whitchurch.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

GTW 4540 was built 3/1957, b/n 22848, as part of order number 5513, and looked like this for more than 20 years, so well past the date on which such autos would be transported. It seems to have carried that winterisation hatch (the lumpy cover at the further end of the long hood) throughout. 

There is an accident report involving this locomotive but the accident was in 1/1959 when it was less than two years old.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/dot_45379_DS1%20(1).pdf

This is too early a date for the photograph but I'll keep on searching.

• Like 3

It is now raining. Before that it was hail stoning.

I am not happy. The dog is not happy. I am not happy that the dog is not happy. The dog is not happy because I am not happy.

You get the drift.

I know we need the rain but not when I have to walk the dog.

Did I mention that the dog was unhappy.

Pah. As someone would say.

• Like 4
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hailstones? You want hailstones? Yesterday afternoon my cleaner Alison had a storm descend which left her lawn white, took most of the blossom off her many apple trees and damaged many of her plants. More than 12 hours later, I see today's pic shows some of the hail still visible. 7 or 8 miles away as the crow flies, we didn't even have a drop of rain, merely a couple of loud thunder rumbles. 

• Friendly/supportive 9