Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I remember my first trip to Wales back in the early 70's. It was remarkable just how cheap Welsh property was at the time. Back then English owned holiday cottages in Wales were few and far between due to the incendiary proclivities of the Welsh Nationalists (come home to a nice warm fire, buy a holiday home in Wales).

'A self igniting cottage' according to Frank Hennessy.

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I have asked Aditi if she wants to revisit the historic site of her arrival and she declined.

Some years ago I suffered rather unfortunate accident in Poznan and now regularly pass the spot on the bus. It makes me shiver every time. 

I try to avoid it  but the bus is quicker than walking and I am not built for walking. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

'A self igniting cottage' according to Frank Hennessy.

I remember  chatting to a PW once who had had to gaurd a Welsh Nationalist prisioner. Shecdaidcthat after chatting to her for several hours she had a lotbof sympathy for the prisoner. Having grown up in a village that is now full of 2nd homes I also share those sympathies.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm thinking of taking up crocodile wrestling for some relaxation.

Cheers all.

Dave

Getting into a cake eating contest with a  hungry Bear is a far more relaxing pastime.

Alternatively try a Penderyn Appreciation afternoon with a thirsty Hippo.

In either case, after it was all over,  Jill could  wheel you home in a barrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning.  As the cause of much 9f the embuggerati9n For Dave and familynI hardly dare put my head above the parapet.  However I am now getti g towards the enr of my 10 days of isolation in a crowded house.  I'm just glad that everyone around me has tested negative and hasn't shown any symptoms. With plenty of boks and even smoe modelling to do it's been relatively  easy for me. Also apart from manflu symptoms I seem to have escaped lightly.  However this rudy virus, as Chrisf calls it is not to be treated lightly. 

A meeting of the Penderyn Appreciation  Society, does that also stand for the Pannier Abolition Society, is obviously needed.  Perhaps I might be allowed to add some artisan Cognac to the supplies.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I remember  chatting to a PW once who had had to gaurd a Welsh Nationalist prisioner. Shecdaidcthat after chatting to her for several hours she had a lotbof sympathy for the prisoner. Having grown up in a village that is now full of 2nd homes I also share those sympathies.

Jamie

After thinking about - and considering the increasing levels of homelessness - I for one would certainly support a law that says you can only own one house.

6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Getting into a cake eating contest with a  hungry Bear is a far more relaxing pastime.

Sounds good - what time?

6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

In either case, after it was all over,  Jill could  wheel you home in a barrow.

That reminds me of a story my Boss once told of a meeting that took place many, many years ago at a certain Aerospace Company (with adjacent Aircraft Division) in Hatfield.  Seems there was a something going on with the French involved - and hence a French individual was at the meeting whose agreement and signature on various documents was required.  All he uttered during the morning session (in a pretty good French accent) was "No!"  So the Big Chief told his Minions to take him down the Pub for lunch...

They brought him back absolutely plastered ("spiking" may have been involved....:wink_mini:) and he suddenly became much more agreeable.  The word is that they wheeled him out to the Aircraft in a wheelbarrow for the flight home.....:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

Yesterday saw our little 2 hour train ride from Zielona Gora to Lagow.

Trains to Lagow only run at weekends during the summer and a very pretty town it is, situated  between two lakes.

However once you have been up the castle tower to see the view, eaten an ice cream or 3 and gone for a float in a boat, you have little else to do than laze about in  the lakeside park. Not a bad life really

Anyway having whizzed along the main line to Rzepin, we reversed and more main line running till we reached Toporow,  where we collected another member of staff

We then headed off along the branch to Lagow at a very sedate pace, almost stopping at every dirt track that crossed the line, hooting excessively.

At Granow we stopped at the level crossing over the main road and our newly gained  staff member got off and operated the barriers. We then waited for him after crossing the road. 

On approach to Lagow, more horn sounding to clear sightseers off the viaduct that does give a good panoramic view of the town

All very fascinating. 

Here is our whole train. The platform could probably fit two of these and has an upgraded  in a hurry  feel about it. The ballast appears to be sand.

Note the extensive passenger facilities just creeping into shot, bottom right

20210821_103500.jpg.fdfe4cb7033a685226e7c3034661bcf3.jpg

It's a Sinobus, built by Pesa in Bydgoszcz. 

And here is a slightly wonky interior view 

20210821_180234.jpg.dd2527a613e6bee689bfed64f65a1677.jpg

Solitary station  sign erected on sleeper ends of former second line through station

20210821_180451.jpg

Andy

Edited by SM42
It all went a bit funny when I pressed save
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I hope they move that sign before they push a train onto the siding behind, otherwise they will have the sign moved involuntarily.

On the railway front, I'm now backtracking on my plans, both for extending into the blue period with the 7 mm stuff and layout planning.  Not only would I need a second Class 121 for the blue stuff, but there is also a requirement for additional freight stock.

Life is just too short, so I'll remain modelling  the late steam/green diesel transition period.

The blue class 37/0 will be cleaned up and resprayed back to green and renumbered as an EE type 3 69xx series loco.  Until that happens it will remain as an  anachronism.

On the layout front Splott West Sidings, currently slated for scrapping may get a makeover.

This will involve removing the heavy weight baseboard framing, and replacing it with ply sides which will reduce the weight considerably. An additional set of curved boards will be generated to create the L shaped line which would be very similar to what I had planned as SWS's replacement.

It would probably will save a lot of time and effort going down this route.  It could also reuse my beam and trestle baseboard support system.

As with all these matters of national importance, plans are subject to both constant speculation and last minute changes!:laugh_mini:

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I hope they move that sign before they push a train onto the siding behind, otherwise they will have the sign moved involuntarily 

If you look closely behind the crowd in the first picture, you will see the concrete slab across that track that gives level access to the platform. 

I think there is little chance of that line ever being used 

The sign is safe for now.

Today we went to a local museum of regional buildings 

There was some sort of festival going on too, with lots of stalls selling assorted items. 

I noted that there were an awful lot selling honey, almost 90% in fact. :dontknow:

Mrs SM42 later revealed it was a honey festival. 

That would explain it then :D

20210822_121640.jpg.04eedc378bc013ad5dc02a909b75c8bb.jpg

Gratuitous fire engine photo from today. :good:

Andy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Are you sure she didn't say 'It's a festival, Honey!"?

No, there was lots of honey. 

It seems we are now going for walk. 

It may help with the vodka that has been consumed 

Andy

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Another day trip to N Wales beckons tomorrow.  

We have to take all the curtains that Nyda has made  and hang them.  I am also required to put up lamp shades.

I loaded BMW this afternoon, after giving it a very good clean as the last thing we want to do is deliver dirty curtains.  The amounts we ware taking would not fit into the Ibiza very easily.  The bigger car could do with a run out to stretch its legs.

I fear it will be an early start and a fairly late finish.

Fortunately we ventured out to the shops today and bought in plenty of victuals for the journey.

I also received a message to say my services were not required with the wheel bearing changes on the Golf as they were done this afternoon.

• Like 13

Afternoon all,

The second splasher unit got fitted to the engine last night, and it’s actually starting to look a bit less oppressed, from a distance at least. I’ve also cut out the roof and one of the trim pieces for the forward running plate, shown in the first photos by being held on with poster tack.

03E21772-5C40-481C-8DE0-75C7A2F9D58B.jpeg.a53d130b52fd104f2c6fa2270289b10e.jpeg

36338D8F-52DD-4E74-994A-BB1BA397C6C2.jpeg.6e4fd29407729e96491dc416eaa13c78.jpeg

The splashers are attached to a Meccano angle brackets screwed to the running plate, and can be lifted up forward to provide access underneath. A good system and should work.

Douglas

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

35 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

....and in the grounds of a lush house - Dave and HH to take note!

473358572_20210821_1235551.jpg.ab1841c49e2a76bd13be4470391b9cc8.jpg

This evenings walk was on the grounds of what was a grand house, but is now a ruin in Zatonie Park. Former residence of the Talleyrand- Perigord family apparently 

20210822_205656.jpg.02c0e9f421ab02d90d4d5fb3719253ba.jpg

For a ruin it is very well presented.

It also turned into a wildlife expedition as these two were spotted 

20210822_211915.jpg.82025368b6999dda672ad99b771c91ff.jpg

All I could think about when taking this was the scene from Tom and Jerry where the mouse catching guide said "a cornered mouse never fights."

And then there was this fella 

20210822_212438.jpg.de2719de16f0b1947b59245520367010.jpg

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just back from a fortnight in our usual haunt, sadly missed last summer.

28754022_LuneViaduct2021.JPG.288f1ca19d89d82d1f9debc1b6271b44.JPG

Lune or Waterside Viaduct, Locke & Errington, engineers, Coulthard & Allen, contractors, 1857-61.

Now, a question that some here might be able to answer. We're usually treated to RAF planes flying low northwards up the Lune Valley into the Lune Gorge up to Tebay, on two or three days of our fortnight - usually in pairs, but this year a couple of times singly and once, four in a row over about two minutes. What are the aircraft? Presumably they're on a regular training circuit?

To aid identification, I can add that they make a LOUD NOISE - usually arriving at about the same time as the plane, so they're going pretty quick.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

From your photograph I suspect they are super stealthy.

Perhaps they are painted in Real Tree.

But seriously, could they have been Typhoons?

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, SM42 said:

...snip... Gratuitous fire engine photo from today. :good:

Andy

And some from me taken yesterday at Mountain Home, North Carolina:

Pre-flighting it for the day's work:

100_9756.JPG.23b5e2cb59ab11862a0c0d4a1fa066ff.JPG

An older Ford that is still used sometimes:

100_9731.JPG.7f2eefe3c76d514d9160536f268143ef.JPG