Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

35 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I think that I'm heading for the dark side, 

No

Not panniers and green thingys with oddly placed copper buts that all look the same.

Claudio in Italy sent me this that arrived today.

20211229_234416.jpg.c4a32b3ddccff4ddcca71d9c526c97b4.jpg

Jamie, should I be worried

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!

• Like 7

Evening all,

I called up the local metal supplier today and came away with some bar stock, the end result being this, the first bogie wheel. OD is approx 1 1/4 inches.

D8BE24F1-C8BA-46B2-9D90-5B712F094294.jpeg.b300f4605375ada46d7248c2b0b2e3fa.jpeg

I think it came out rather well. However the main problem is that as I don’t have a parting tool I have hacksaw the profiled wheel off the bar and then machine the back in the lathe. Not a hard operation but a tiring one for the arms. 

Here’s a much better shot of a bushed connecting rod. 

090F5129-30FB-474B-8091-6B0AD963EBE4.jpeg.9d91490842e87227c8737eb06aaadd55.jpeg

Douglas

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

9 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all,

I called up the local metal supplier today and came away with some bar stock, the end result being this, the first bogie wheel. OD is approx 1 1/4 inches.

D8BE24F1-C8BA-46B2-9D90-5B712F094294.jpeg.b300f4605375ada46d7248c2b0b2e3fa.jpeg

I think it came out rather well. However the main problem is that as I don’t have a parting tool I have hacksaw the profiled wheel off the bar and then machine the back in the lathe. Not a hard operation but a tiring one for the arms. 

Here’s a much better shot of a bushed connecting rod. 

090F5129-30FB-474B-8091-6B0AD963EBE4.jpeg.9d91490842e87227c8737eb06aaadd55.jpeg

Douglas

Nice!

You are about to discover that parting tools are probably the most difficult lathe tools to master. (They don't bother to mention that in the books :D)

The problem is that the torque on the tool tends to tip the tool and the tool-post towards work whereupon the tool tries to remove too much metal and promptly compression-welds itself to the work.

Some lathes solve this problem by allowing the parting tool to be mounted upside-down behind the work so that the torque tends to retract the tool from the work instead of digging into it.

Meanwhile there's not much wrong with cutting a pilot slot then bearing down on it with a hacksaw while the lathe turns. That would be extremely dangerous on a large lathe but nothing bad will happen on a miniature belt-driven lathe. The face won't be too pretty but you can turn that in a subsequent operation.

BTW, I'm assuming you put the required self-centering taper on the wheel tread? (It's actually a serious PITA and worse than useless on small-scale models but it's one of those "prototype" silliness things that's been going on for ever.

Andy (in the frozen NW)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Meanwhile there's not much wrong with cutting a pilot slot then bearing down on it with a hacksaw while the lathe turns. That would be extremely dangerous on a large lathe but nothing bad will happen on a miniature belt-driven lathe. The face won't be too pretty but you can turn that in a subsequent operation.

I attempted this once and the blade immediately grabbed and the handle thrust nearly into my stomach but dodged it, so didn’t try it again. I think that may have been because of the saw I was using. 

I did indeed neglect the self centering taper, although the flanges are tapered.:D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

3 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I attempted this once and the blade immediately grabbed and the handle thrust nearly into my stomach but dodged it, so didn’t try it again. I think that may have been because of the saw I was using.

The trick is to keep the saw moving just as if you are sawing through a stationary bar. I should probably have mentioned that :D

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

It's extremely chilly here, about 10F but the workshop playroom is a comfortable 68F thanks to a rather large wood-stove in the corner. It's reasonably green too. The trees here grow faster than we can can convert them into firewood.

Currently the house is heated with propane and electricity. If I was ten years younger I'd try to convert most of the heating to wood burning.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, AndyID said:

It's extremely chilly here, about 10F but the workshop playroom is a comfortable 68F thanks to a rather large wood-stove in the corner. It's reasonably green too. The trees here grow faster than we can can convert them into firewood.

Currently the house is heated with propane and electricity. If I was ten years younger I'd try to convert most of the heating to wood burning.

That is something which is a  'no-no' here due to concern about the resultant particles causing air pollution and heath issues. I believe the, not certain, that they can cause cancer.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

When being taught lathe use, I was told to always have a parting tool ever so slightly below centre, so they don't grab.  Checked by putting tool up to the job with a thin strip (old steel rule?) between, and checking the upper end comes out towards you slightly.

I agree with Andy about moving the hacksaw too - how I was taught.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I did indeed neglect the self centering taper, although the flanges are tapered.:D

If you are going to use a file or a hacksaw blade whilst the lathe is operating either:

Stand behind the machine and work from there. Or,

Put the file/saw, between the chuck and the bed and work from underneath.*

Both methods mean that in the event of something going perilous, the blade/file is pulled away from you rather than thrown towards you.

*  If you are hanging on too tight, you might get your hand pulled in under the machine, so plan work carefully before you start.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

Remember that 47 I found

Here it is on the tidied up (!)  workbench 

20211224_102211.jpg.26b42471b28f900cd785a5a74f652583.jpg

There are traces of blue paint here and there, but I have no recollection of ever painting it and I don't think Hornby did either, except for the yellow ends. The factory yellow paint appears to be a very thick coat. Almost like they dipped it

As I said progress will be slow. 

As well as removing the existing paint there are a few body mods still to do, such a replacing the moulded handrails and making some new headcode panels

Then I will be waiting till warmer weather to start painting.

I will endeavour to update progress occasionally 

Andy

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

That is something which is a  'no-no' here due to concern about the resultant particles causing air pollution and heath issues. I believe the, not certain, that they can cause cancer.

I only burn hot and fast to minimize smoke and particulates. The only thing visible at the top of the stack is an optical shimmer from the heat.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you are going to use a file or a hacksaw blade whilst the lathe is operating either:

Stand behind the machine and work from there. Or,

Put the file/saw, between the chuck and the bed and work from underneath.*

Both methods mean that in the event of something going perilous, the blade/file is pulled away from you rather than thrown towards you.

*  If you are hanging on too tight, you might get your hand pulled in under the machine, so plan work carefully before you start.

You can get away with using a hacksaw on a tiny lathe like the Toyo but I would not encourage anyone to use a hacksaw on a rotating lathe that's any larger. Best just to stop the lathe and saw through the work. It won't be so pretty but it's a lot less dangerous :D

Edited by AndyID
predict this!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Unfortunately this is where the British Government and their advisors are 'flip flopping' and are jumping on whichever 'green' bandwagon which is flavour of the month.

A few years ago we demolished an old cottage, and in it's place built a 3 bedroomed house, to the latest insulation and environmentally approved standards.  One of the planning criteria was it have to have a wood burning stove installed!

We omitted this and the local authority inspectors would not sign the building off until we had a woodburner installed.

We complied and yet within weeks, we were then being told that a wood burner was the work of Satan.

One would have thought that if these were the thoughts at Government level, some of their concerns would have been filtered down over time.  Decisions like this are not made overnight.

Judging by the number of wood stacks that  have appeared around here, you'd think they'd been made compulsory! I'd suggest that it's getting to the stage where citizens are fed up to the back teeth with being told what is good and bad, especially as it seems to be at a whim, and are committed to sticking two fingers up to Boris, Kier, Mark, Nicola and Paul or whoever pretends to be in charge of various parts of the UK.

I remember some years back being told about the effect of jet exhaust in the upper atmosphere.  As a family we decided to limit our air travel to a minimum which effectively meant a long haul and a short haul flight every five years and the other three years in the cycle would mean taking holidays at home.

Judging by the antics of 'celebs' politicians and the rich and not so famous who seem to fly long haul (for pleasure) numerous times every year, all we did was screw up our ability to see places we always wanted to visit before we got to old and rickety for such adventures.

Do our leaders and their advisors Lead by Example?

Do they bolloux!

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

As it has always been HH there is one law for them and another law for us plebs.

I believe they soothe there worried brow by paying oops sorry using our money to offset their carbon generation by planting trees. Heaven forbid them getting there hands mucky by doing it them self's.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

You can get away with using a hacksaw on a tiny lathe like the Toyota but I would not encourage anyone to use a hacksaw on a rotating lathe that's any larger. Best just to stop the lathe and saw through the work. It won't be so pretty but it's a lot less dangerous :D

I totally agree.

I'm just trying to filter down good workshop practice.  There's a difference between knowing you should not, but can in certain circumstances, rather than think that you can all the time.

For instance, I will sometimes run my table saw without the blade guard.  Cuts where you want to make a slot are impossible with one fitted and when cutting very thin strips the blade guard probably creates more danger than not, as you cannot see the workpiece.

Push blocks and sticks to keep your fingers well clear of the blade mitigates most dangers. (Works the same with a router table as well.)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Unfortunately this is where the British Government and their advisors are 'flip flopping' and are jumping on whichever 'green' bandwagon which is flavour of the month.

A few years ago we demolished an old cottage, and in it's place built a 3 bedroomed house, to the latest insulation and environmentally approved standards.  One of the planning criteria was it have to have a wood burning stove installed!

We omitted this and the local authority inspectors would not sign the building off until we had a woodburner installed.

We complied and yet within weeks, we were then being told that a wood burner was the work of Satan.

One would have thought that if these were the thoughts at Government level, some of their concerns would have been filtered down over time.  Decisions like this are not made overnight.

Judging by the number of wood stacks that  have appeared around here, you'd think they'd been made compulsory! I'd suggest that it's getting to the stage where citizens are fed up to the back teeth with being told what is good and bad, especially as it seems to be at a whim, and are committed to sticking two fingers up to Boris, Kier, Mark, Nicola and Paul or whoever pretends to be in charge of various parts of the UK.

I remember some years back being told about the effect of jet exhaust in the upper atmosphere.  As a family we decided to limit our air travel to a minimum which effectively meant a long haul and a short haul flight every five years and the other three years in the cycle would mean taking holidays at home.

Judging by the antics of 'celebs' politicians and the rich and not so famous who seem to fly long haul (for pleasure) numerous times every year, all we did was screw up our ability to see places we always wanted to visit before we got to old and rickety for such adventures.

Do they bolloux!

HMG ought to tell RM Greenwich recommission the Cutty Sark into a new diplomatic vessel replacing the current 747.

Or get them to go back down to the Falkland’s and retrieve the Lady Elizabeth from her windswept banishment.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Do they bolloux!

Or celebrity climate change protesters jetting around the world to to tell US not to fly because it's destroying the world

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Do they bolloux!

If that had the effect of increasing net consumption of natural gas in the UK it's like swapping from a bad headache to double pneumonia.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

13 minutes ago, AndyID said:

If that had the effect of increasing net consumption of natural gas in the UK it's like swapping from a bad headache to double pneumonia.

Well that's where the next great 'idea' kicks in because now gas boilers are to be phased out because, guess what, they generate carbon monoxide which you guessed it increases the amount of carbon. You just can't win.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5