KR Models announce the Clayton DHP1

KR Models

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That livery looks a bit different from what we have seen previously, the upper part looks very white rather than the cream colour of previous images.  I have no idea what would actually be correct though.

I too was expecting something more akin to cream / beige / mushroom.

Out with the paint?

CJI.

• RMweb Gold

According to some sources the upper cabs area  was salmon pink..

https://www.ccpaints.co.uk/product-page/bs-381c-447-salmon-pink

If you compare it to Clayton work’s own website images, its not far off that imo..

https://claytonequipment.co.uk/shop/Prototype-DHP1-Drawing-Pack-p159403663

The Sample above imo is wrong. In its defence, this over exposed image exists…

https://flic.kr/p/dpFeHC

and with grey bogies, however in this guise it was as yet unnumbered, and carried a worksplate much wider and less deep…but  White bogies ?… err.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

According to some sources the upper cabs area  was salmon pink..

https://www.ccpaints.co.uk/product-page/bs-381c-447-salmon-pink

If you compare it to Clayton work’s own website images, its not far off that imo..

https://claytonequipment.co.uk/shop/Prototype-DHP1-Drawing-Pack-p159403663

The Sample above imo is wrong. In its defence, this over exposed image exists…

https://flic.kr/p/dpFeHC

and with grey bogies, however in this guise it was as yet unnumbered, and carried a worksplate much wider and less deep…but  White bogies ?… err.

Just a thought - if the main body colour was red oxide, and they mixed red oxide into white, wouldn't they have got salmon pink of some sort?

CJI.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

This is what Kr models posted on Facebook on 10th July

FB_IMG_1694765492903.jpg.9e7908ac88f30d02d4ad0229f598ff13.jpg

I think thats wrong too.

As Clayton has official factory photographs, and available online i’d be leaning towards them as a source of truth, in preference of other photos if there was doubt on exposure/processing ability etc.

Theres a good picture here which shows the bodyside panel grills too, which ive not yet seen on the EP.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectDHP1/

you dont need to join the group to see the main picture, though inside the group theres many pictures of dhp1 that havent been widely published before, including the internals like engines, bogies and shaft arrangements.

Theres also a photo that confirms 100% the white cab roof in addition to the salmon upper cab sides.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

I never saw the thing in real life, so I have no idea it it's wrong or if the works photo's pink was just a primer/undercoat or whether it ever got repainted.   Jenny did say it's a pre-production model, so it's not necessarily what will eventually appear on the market.  And I think I prefer the cream to the salmon pink anyway. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I never saw the thing in real life, so I have no idea it it's wrong or if the works photo's pink was just a primer/undercoat or whether it ever got repainted.   Jenny did say it's a pre-production model, so it's not necessarily what will eventually appear on the market.  And I think I prefer the cream to the salmon pink anyway. 

Agreed, except on the cream colour.

But an EP is a point to speak or forever hold your peace.

if theres a chance to get it right, surely its time to speak up ?

if you really dont care, maybe wait until the Fell is made in DHP livery?

What I dont like myself is those who know its wrong, say nothing until the model is released, when its too late to change anything, and then speak up. I find that somewhat unpleasant and nothing more than commercially damaging, but equally as a buyer, dissapointing, as your stuck with it then.

Of course its KRs prerogative to ignore as much or as little as they wish and press ahead anyway, but dying on the hill trying to see the EP model improved before release is one worth dying on imo, afterall isnt that what an EP is for ?.. and KR have acted on some feedback in the past, and this is probably the only Rtr DHP1 your ever going to get.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That livery looks a bit different from what we have seen previously, the upper part looks very white rather than the cream colour of previous images.  I have no idea what would actually be correct though.

Don't forget we're looking at a colour which has been achieved by the setting's in Jenny's camera and the settings in our own 'puters so it has had the possibiloty (probability?) of being slighty 'adjusted twice'.   To me the whole colour scheme on the model looks far too 'bright'/pale for both colours.  But I've only ever seen photos of the real thing and haven't seen an original paint spec either.  So my sense of colour is purely guided by the photos I've seen and how they represent colour is dependent on the film stock used, the lighting of the subject, and what the printer came up with.

So it might possibly be right but it still looks too bright/pale to me.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't forget we're looking at a colour which has been achieved by the setting's in Jenny's camera and the settings in our own 'puters so it has had the possibiloty (probability?) of being slighty 'adjusted twice'.   To me the whole colour scheme on the model looks far too 'bright'/pale for both colours.  But I've only ever seen photos of the real thing and haven't seen an original paint spec either.  So my sense of colour is purely guided by the photos I've seen and how they represent colour is dependent on the film stock used, the lighting of the subject, and what the printer came up with.

So it might possibly be right but it still looks too bright/pale to me.

Agreed, but i’d be edging towards the manufacturers official colour pictures in that circumstance.

Theres a ton of pictures of dhp1 alongside cuban class 47’s being built, (at least a dozen such images out there) and they are all red oxide primer on the 47 (and light grey interior shells) and match dhp1 alongside in the same images.

red oxide is well known as a colour.

i’m with @cctransuk when it comes to the paint mix theory for salmon but that I admit probably can only be a guess, but none (apart of one really washed out image), I have seen suggest cream, and especially as clear pictures exist showing a white roof… you can see the colour difference.

(to see the image you do need to join the group, I should add KR and Clayton are members of the group, so they have access to it, and have been in that group longer than the 18 months or so I have been in it, so its not a surprise).

If dhp1 is of interest i’d reccomend the group its got 50 or so images, including design drawings, and artists impressions, as well as the previously mentioned internals and some additional “mainline test” images. Additionally class47.co.uk has several cuban 47 images, where dhp1 was in the background.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

This is what Kr models posted on Facebook on 10th July

FB_IMG_1694765492903.jpg.9e7908ac88f30d02d4ad0229f598ff13.jpg

That will be the same model I now have for filming and that I posted a picture of. As far as I am aware they only have the one decorated pre production model. 

It just shows how much the lighting affects the way colours look. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

That will be the same model I now have for filming and that I posted a picture of. As far as I am aware they only have the one decorated pre production model. 

It just shows how much the lighting affects the way colours look. 

Especially how it changed the colour of the bogies / underframe from black to white, and the outlines of the buffers.

😀

i think its a newer EP, the front radiator and headcodes are different too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Especially how it changed the colour of the bogies / underframe from black to white, and the outlines of the buffers.

😀

i think its a newer EP, the front radiator and headcodes are different too.

Huh. You’re right. In that case there must be a second pre production sample I wasn’t aware of. 

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

Huh. You’re right. In that case there must be a second pre production sample I wasn’t aware of. 

Interesting thought here.  Did they actually have a livery sample - as is the usual practice - and what you have now filmed in the pre-production sample?

There often seems to be confusion over what various samples are and at what stages they emerge.  The first is the EP which is really a trial run of the tooling to ensure that parts fit together properly and match the CADs.  Sometimes initial unpowered samples will be supplemented a bit later by powered samples although the unpowered stage can be missed out.  Once that has been checked and corrected as necessary - so still a little bit of elbow room for minor tooling amendments - the next stage is livery samples.  Livery samples quite often use original EP mouldings and might have been assembled to check fit of different detailing parts but their purpose id s purely to get the livery right, something which sometimes seems to be misunderstood by commentators.

Having got the fit of parts right (from the EP) and the livery right (from the livery sample) the next stage is a pre-production sample.  This should be exactly what the customer has cleared for production be what the end customer, i.e. us, will receive.  It is final check step to ensure that everything when brought together meets the customer's specification to the factory - the customer being what we tend to call 'the manufacturer'.   Iit is literally a final approval stage - tooling corrections came at the EP stage and livery corrections came at the livery sample stage - although no doubt if it doesn't include all the earlier corrections the customer will tell the factory accordingly and ask for them to be incorporated.  

This stage is normally one where it is far too late, and expensive, to start making significant tooling, or even livery, changes and in fact if the job has been managed properly by the customerand factory it should be no more than a box-ticking exercise.  It is literally the point in the N Hornby tv show where SK takes a look at what the staff have approved and says 'press the button'.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Timeline…

Announced July 2020

3D Print July 2020

went from EOI to orders July 2021

1st unpainted EP broke cover Feb 8th 2022.

running EP sample April 2022
1st decorated sample was July 10th 2023

2nd decorated sample September 2023

According to the website it's due Q4 (though I dont consider that anything more than a guideline).

I suspect from that timeline we are close to seeing what we are getting.

as far as prophecies go… I want to see this guys magic 8 ball…

July 2nd 2016..

Four locomotives I would like to see but I doubt enough modellers would want any of them to make the outlay viable. Olivia's Trains pulled the plug on one of them because they couldn't gt enough pre-orders. 

6701 / 6000 / 26000 "Tommy" (cancelled by Olivia's Trains). 

DHP1 Clayton prototype. 

GT3 prototype. 

10100 Fell prototype. 

I'm still waiting for the Kernow orders of D600, CC2 and 10201-203

July seems to figure heavily in the DHP1 rtr model development history.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Nice to see DHP1 coming along and my build from a few years back isn't too far away colour wise, from memory I used GWR Indian Red fir the body and a coach cream possibly pullman fir the top.

post-5804-0-97825900-1437347376.jpg.9bb0612f0dccd75e14bca36be662ad8d.jpgpost-5804-0-99179800-1444344028.jpg.7cf4e2753321617ca57ef19ee59446fb.jpg.7117c180a07ece343bc2a7b5ad2d8b42.jpg

I also got some custom plates made from Narrow Planet so if anyone is looking to upgrade theirs they should still have the artwork on file.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium

I'll be interested to see the final model. KR have announced two of my grail models, the Fell and the Leader. This isn't a grail model but along with the 4DD it is a model I'm very interested in and if well done very tempted to buy. I haven't hidden my feelings about KR but I do think they're knocking it out of the park with subject choices and if they release a good model I won't boycott them just to prove a point to myself (as if me boycotting them would matter in the slightest). The Fell was too big a miss for me, the 4DD looks to be pretty well done to me (well, well enough for me) and I'm waiting to see the final DHP1 and Leader before making a decision. The Leader is the big one for me, I'm a huge admirer of Oliver Bulleid and the Leader is a truly fascinating design which I'd love to have in OO.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/09/2023 at 11:25, jessy1692 said:

Nice to see DHP1 coming along and my build from a few years back isn't too far away colour wise, from memory I used GWR Indian Red fir the body and a coach cream possibly pullman fir the top.

post-5804-0-97825900-1437347376.jpg.9bb0612f0dccd75e14bca36be662ad8d.jpgpost-5804-0-99179800-1444344028.jpg.7cf4e2753321617ca57ef19ee59446fb.jpg.7117c180a07ece343bc2a7b5ad2d8b42.jpg

I also got some custom plates made from Narrow Planet so if anyone is looking to upgrade theirs they should still have the artwork on file.

Cheers

James

Yours correctly has the grills next to the cab also, unlike the kr sample.

nice model.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1