Railway Mania Shop - New THUNDERBOLT Poster

Corbs

• RMweb Gold

NEW PRODUCT

4021E4CB-D926-4277-8A66-923C946EA70C.jpeg.16fcae83555c4a7a73aabb8ba4f10952.jpeg

https://www.railwaymania.net/shop/king-charles-iii-namenumberplates

£9.50

Etched Great Western Railway-style name and numberplates to commemorate the ascendance of King Charles III to the throne.

These are designed to glue directly over the Hornby name/numberplates and as such are quite thin, requiring careful handling.
Some trimming of the original plates may be required.

Choose from 2 number options:

6027 follows on from the GWR’s tradition of renaming the next highest number King Class locomotive (6029 King Stephen became King Edward VIII, 6028 King Henry II became King George VI), in this case King Richard I would be renamed King Charles III.

6030 is an additional locomotive, adding one onto the existing 6000-6029 series.

2 nameplates are supplied, along with 2 cabside numberplates. For those modelling British Railways era, a smokebox numberplate is also included.

The price includes UK postage.

All the profits from the sale of these plate sets will go to the Jessie May Childrens Hospice at Home.

https://jessiemay.org.uk/

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • Corbs changed the title to Railway Mania Shop - NEW Avonside SS4 0-4-0ST Body Kit!
  • RMweb Gold

NEW loco body kit - Avonside SS3 0-4-0ST!

This brute of a tank loco is now represented in model form using the new 3D-printed kit designed by Adam White to fit the Hornby W4 Peckett 0-4-0ST chassis.

Price is £54.50 including lots of detailing accessories and postage within the UK.

The first batch is for sale here:

https://www.railwaymania.net/shop/avonside-ss4-0-4-0st-body-kit

AvonsideSS4-1.jpg.2c80d785b5a4e4f81b9a55d71f6126bc.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ruston said:

Will you be doing a version with a welded tank? Are the cab, boiler/tank/smokebox assembly, and running plate separate parts as per previous kits?

I’ll check and see if Adam is up for the welded version. Do you have a specific prototype in mind? 
Yep the assembly is basically the same as the B4 Avonsides we did before.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Do you have a specific prototype in mind? 

The one I had in mind was one that I saw in a supermarket car park, in Crewe, about 30 years ago. I've just looked it up and have discovered there's more to it than just the lack of rivets on the tank. https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/avonside-engine-co-works-no-1865-elizabeth-0-4-0st/

Something like this: https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/avonside-engine-co-works-no-1973-rrm-3-dora-0-4-0st/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, in that case, the rivets can be filed/sanded flat pretty easily, there was another type of tank which was flush along its length too. I've no idea why the different specs. as they don't happen in chronological order.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2023 at 19:27, Ruston said:

Just a word of warning, there's 2 different locos photographed on that AE1973 page. Avonside "Fred" pictured outside Market Overton shed in the 1970s is a different loco to "Dora" and is now preserved in mainland Europe.

Looks a good rendition this Corbs, I'm still building the big Bagnall at the moment...

Paul A. 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, rope runner said:

Just a word of warning, there's 2 different locos photographed on that AE1973 page. Avonside "Fred" pictured outside Market Overton shed in the 1970s is a different loco to "Dora" and is now preserved in mainland Europe.

There are many misidentified industrials on that site, so I'm not at all surprised.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2023 at 14:19, Ruston said:

Will you be doing a version with a welded tank? Are the cab, boiler/tank/smokebox assembly, and running plate separate parts as per previous kits?

When I built the prototype kit I forgot to take a full photograph of all the bits laid out before painting but I hope this gives an idea of what all the pieces are

including the handrails which I’d already cut to length and glued the knobs on to.

4041B182-16FD-4565-BF63-F81D63965979.jpeg.7ecc4ebdc578241b669a85f3c5262e85.jpeg

not shown are the 2 alternative domes which are included in the kit (one of which closely matches what is on the locos you posted links to) and the different style of safety valve which goes along with them.

I don’t plan on producing a welded tank design at the moment unless we decide to do a specific loco that requires it at a later date.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Adam, what paints and varnish did you use to get the finish on the model photographed?

Gordon A

It's all brush painted but applied over sprayed on grey primer, nothing fancy I normally use Wilko's stuff.

This loco was a painting experiment for me which worked but not the way I was expecting. I thought I'd try out some of the citadel contrast paints to see how they worked on loco models as they're supposed to flow into crevasses like a wash but they really didn't work well on the large flat panels.

So the black bodywork is Citadel contrast Black Templar, the running board, cab roof and smokebox are Citadel contrast Black Legion (I may have those 2 colours back to front) and the brown cab floor is Citadel contrast Wyld Wood.

The red is Citadel Mephiston red and the gold is Citadel Retributor Armour which I darkened with a bit of black or brown paint.

The buffers and hooks are black mixed with a bit of silver to give a metallic sheen.

All the other colours are just Vallejo paints I had to hand.

This loco may have also got a coat of clear matte varnish applied, I honestly don't remember but it's something I normally do

As I mentioned earlier the contrast paints really didn't work as I expected they were blotchy and didn't like the flat panels so needed lots of coats which lost the contrast effect, I do like the clearly defined different shades of black/dark grey but that could have been achieved using other paints with less effort. The other citadel paints worked great though, Mephiston Red and Retributor Armour have been my go to red and gold paints for a long time now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Philipjohn52 said:

Looks like they have already sold out just as I was about to order! Will there be a second batch sometime soon as I don't want to miss out.

Regards. Philip

Yep there will be a resupply ASAP.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago but life got in the way, I have now restocked @Corbs with a new batch of the 0-4-0ST Avonside prints after the first one sold out much faster than we expected (thanks to everyone who ordered one).

In addition to the first prototype build with a golden, rounded dome I have also built up a second loco body kit with one of the alternative dome styles and smokebox handrail locations. This dome is one of three included with the kit, and has a flat top with heavily sloped sides. For this build I also added some RT models cast whitemetal detail pieces and a toolbox taken from one of the Railwaymania Manning Wardle kits I designed some time ago.

image.png.c70d7731fecc9c8147a23ea5594c6d50.png

image.png.7553243a0019df81ea33cb0b713c62ea.png

image.png.6c2a2074542082e25391ea2d065be077.png

The 2 locos side by side

image.png.99a466967f951c2f512a02b5970baef6.png

The final dome style uses the same safety valve as the slope sided dome, but has near vertical sides similar to this loco:  https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/avonside-engine-co-works-no-1973-rrm-3-dora-0-4-0st/

This is it on an older CAD model.
image.png.c5383364da6b22bd97a143d3ec6780c1.png

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Adam and I will be at the Nailsea MRC exhibition this weekend with his layout 'Erebus Pit', featuring plenty of Railway Mania kits including the two new Avonsides.

If you are coming to the show it would be great to see you!

BFF7E6FA-0B45-41A9-B473-73EA251E37BB_1_105_c.jpeg.4d39be77864ce71b914bb83cd91aeb41.jpeg

8953A790-C5F0-4E44-996E-0F761F4A45D6_1_105_c.jpeg.fc456e27c8736338d1d05707ed50dd5b.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Both myself and @Corbsare now recovering from the Nailsea show.

It was a brilliant experience bringing my layout along to its first exhibition and it was great to meet and chat to so many people interested in what we had done and quite a lot of modellers who had made some of our Railway Mania kits and even someone who had built up the daunting big Bagnall.

Neither of us took many photos but here’s my pair of our new Avonside kits  Erebus and Terror, now lined and named, along with a wagon with custom Bodgit and Scarper decals designed by corbs.

9237BCDC-ABFA-48E8-9A3B-A7256E64A6CA.jpeg.b0c88a818d7fadee6f1c0c6ae880e07d.jpeg

280789A5-2C28-44F8-A54D-E805A3194B8E.jpeg.bfba8d799d2cad5e5524fc774e419dc3.jpeg

E36C05C4-7684-4C6A-A4E9-3AFB233636A6.jpeg.34c755d0d224e740926adf57090d3a71.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I like the derelict Sharp Roberts in the background. What's the origin of that model?

Thanks Dave, 

It's not a Sharp locomotive, it's actually a Rennie 2-2-2, and is a 3D print I designed. The story behind the loco is that my layout Erebus Pit is partially themed around the Franklin Expedition with lots of small and not so small nods to it. That loco is Croydon, one of the most likely locos used as an engine aboard HMS Erebus or Terror to make them early steam ships (more info here: http://erebusandterrorfiles.blogspot.com/2010/07/archimedes-and-croydon-engines-of.html ), and here it sits abandoned as the old pit engine with bits missing.

image.png.70a444e712bcc997e6a7bba357226625.png

image.png.3de206221a8594b8500c8948e75277ea.png

Eventually I will print another which will run on the layout, but I didn't have time to get that up together but did have time to make a scrap one on a frame instead and I'll be posting more about both on my workbench thread at some point

image.png.2eb5781e360a8418e0662f4fbdcbfe5a.png

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 7

• Corbs changed the title to Railway Mania Shop - NEW Avonside SS3 0-4-0ST Body Kit!
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

We are chuffed to bits at Michael Russell's build of our 16" Manning Wardle saddle tank kit in this month's issue of British Railway Modelling!
Michael has gone the extra mile with this version, adding the reversing rod, modifying the wheels and even including DCC firebox glow.

AND open cab windows, the absolute madman.

image.png.8d09038eee7283bef41e5092fea0382a.png

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 4